Machota: Will McClay on Cowboys’ 2020 draft MVP and how an impressive class came together

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Somehow the coaches in the Garrett era wormed their way into way too much say in the drafting process.
They did. They were absolutely part of the problem.

They wanted this for their scheme. They wanted that for their scheme. Give me a Sapp clone. Get me quick twitch only. Long arms. Get me a tight end so we can run more two tight end sets like the Patriots.

• Angry
Reactions: p1_

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Garrett wasn’t well indoctrinated in various football styles and Philosophies. He had limited experience when he came to Dallas. When he was made HC he defaulted to the system he learned as a player from Norv Turner and Ernie Zampieze. He never tried to change or improve. Even with other Coordinators at the helm he retained the playcalling most of the time until it was wrested away from him. He simply was a limited Coach whether by choice or by not being able to innovate.

its a system that requires certain skill sets that not all QBs have.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
its a system that requires certain skill sets that not all QBs have.
Yep. Romo made the offense better than what the system could produce but after he left Dak didn’t in my opinion produce scores than what was needed. He could get the team down the field but more often than not the team would stall. Dak apparently couldn’t get the read quick enough or the players couldn’t execute properly. Either way the kicker got more work than he should.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Yep. Romo made the offense better than what the system could produce but after he left Dak didn’t in my opinion produce scores than what was needed. He could get the team down the field but more often than not the team would stall. Dak apparently couldn’t get the read quick enough or the players couldn’t execute properly. Either way the kicker got more work than he should.

yes and thats on Garrett, play to your players strengths. dak is a good QB too but different from Romo. Less interceptions at the time, more on the run, side to side stuff, can make the deep throw tho, but different skill set and our team couldnt adjust from one to the other

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We can only hope Dak keeps learning.

He made the most of great supporting talent and an unimaginative teacher.

Now there’s no excuse.

Except, of course, that the season might not happen at all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We can only hope Dak keeps learning.

He made the most of great supporting talent and an unimaginative teacher.

Now there’s no excuse.

Except, of course, that the season might not happen at all.
I have almost no doubt there will be a season. College football I feel less sure about.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I have almost no doubt there will be a season. College football I feel less sure about.
I hope so. How do you justify 1500 men traveling in tight quarters and playing in close physical contact with each other?

Going to be tough. Just think of the trenches, blocks, tackles.

Do you test 1500 people each week, and play in empty stadiums? The first part’s not going to go over well with the public given the scarcity (and inaccuracy) of these medical tests.

The networks and public WANT it, but the safety of each of those players is at stake.

The whole point of social distancing is to delay everyone’s exposure to the virus, limit the number of hospital beds needed, and maybe just maybe hope the damn thing dies out.

At this point it’s very doubtful the last thing is going to happen. So we need to hold out as long as possible.

Top Bottom