Machota: Why has Cowboys backup QB Cooper Rush been successful in first three NFL starts?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - SEPTEMBER 26: Cooper Rush #10 of the Dallas Cowboys reacts after a touchdown against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium on September 26, 2022 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Cooper Neill/Getty Images)

By Jon Machota
5h ago

Mike McCarthy can’t remember the exact play, but there was a moment in the second half of last season’s Week 8 win at Minnesota when he could see that Cooper Rush’s confidence went to another level.

“He made a couple of plays,” the Cowboys head coach recalled Wednesday. “He got going and then we went down and scored and won the game. He was a different player when he got on the plane that night.”

That was Rush’s first win in his first start, filling in for an injured Dak Prescott. His next start wouldn’t come until two weeks ago against the defending AFC champion Cincinnati Bengals. His third was Monday night at the New York Giants. All three resulted in Cowboys wins. All three saw Rush lead game-winning drives.

Virgil Carter, in 1968 with the Chicago Bears, is the only other quarterback in NFL history with a game-winning drive in each of his first three starts.

The Cowboys didn’t win all three because Rush put up huge passing numbers. But in all three, he outperformed the opposing quarterbacks. It’s an impressive accomplishment considering that Cincinnati’s Joe Burrow was the first overall pick in 2020, New York’s Daniel Jones was the sixth overall pick in 2019, and Minnesota’s Kirk Cousins, who has made three Pro Bowls, was a fourth-round pick in 2012.

Rush was undrafted coming out of Central Michigan in 2017. He’s a career backup who attempted only three passes before last season. He wasn’t even on the Cowboys’ final 53-man roster earlier this month. Now, that’s because Rush is a veteran who couldn’t simply be claimed by another team. He had a say in the matter and wanted to stay in Dallas and remain Prescott’s backup. But after these past two games, it’s highly unlikely Rush will find himself in that same situation in the future.

So, how has he been getting the job done?

His impressive understanding of offensive coordinator Kellen Moore’s scheme is a good place to start. Giants defensive coordinator Wink Martindale said last week that after studying Rush, he saw a player who will “have a long career as a quarterback, and then he’ll be one of those cats that becomes an offensive coordinator, head coach by 38 or 39.” That sounds a lot like what many said about Moore before he became the Cowboys’ OC at 31.

“He does a really good job of playing the game,” Moore said, “playing each situation, handling the highs and lows, he does a tremendous job of that throughout the games. You can just see the confidence. I think any time you see a QB take his drop, hit his back foot, see it, trust it and let it rip, that’s confidence right there. You’re seeing a lot of that in Coop right now.”

The most impressive aspect has been how Rush has played in big moments. In the fourth quarters of his three starts, Rush has completed 23 of 34 passes for 249 yards, two touchdowns, no interceptions and a 108.6 passer rating.

During the game-winning drive last year against the Vikings, Rush was 6 of 8 passing for 75 yards, including the back-of-the-end zone throw to Amari Cooper with less than a minute to play. Rush was then 3 for 3 passing for 30 yards as he helped set up Brett Maher’s 50-yard game-winning field goal over the Bengals.
On Monday night against the Giants, Rush seemed to be at his best after New York took a 13-6 lead. Dallas’ next three drives resulted in two touchdowns and a field goal. On those three possessions, Rush was 12 of 14 for 129 yards, a touchdown and a 128.9 passer rating.

“We talk about his intelligence, he is very, very high in instinct and awareness,” McCarthy said. “He anticipates things very well. His ability to throw it early, get the ball out and anticipate. I think you see him have more and more confidence with every opportunity he has. He is just playing to his strengths.”

Two of Rush’s greatest strengths have been not turning the ball over and getting rid of the ball quickly. One helps an offensive line group that has had several moving pieces. Rush was not sacked once Monday night. The other helps one of the league’s top defensive units hold three opponents to a total of only three touchdowns.

According to Pro Football Focus, Rush has recorded an average time to throw of 2.36 seconds on his dropbacks. That ranks second among starting quarterbacks to only seven-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady (2.22).

“The game mentally comes easily to Cooper,” McCarthy said. “He’s got experience. He’s been around for quite some time. He’s been in and out of a couple of systems, so that’s very helpful. He has total command of the language. That’s important.

“He knows the ins and outs, knows his teammates very well. That’s a huge part of being a successful No. 2 quarterback, because you don’t get those reps that the No. 1 gets, particularly through training camp and with the schedule that we’re on. I just think he’s really dialed in.”

Cooper Rush is 3-0 as a starter while stepping in for Dak Prescott. (Robert Deutsch / USA Today)

In the last two weeks, Rush’s 40 completions have gone to a variety of pass catchers, including CeeDee Lamb 15, Noah Brown 10, Tony Pollard 4, Peyton Hendershot 3, Ezekiel Elliott 2, Jake Ferguson 2, Dalton Schultz 2, Simi Fehoko 1, Jalen Tolbert 1.

And there’s a good chance he’ll get starting wide receiver Michael Gallup and starting tight end Schultz back from knee injuries this week. Both were game-time decisions Monday night.

Rush became the third quarterback in Cowboys history to win his first three starts, joining the legendary Roger Staubach (1969-1970) and former Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett (1993-1998). He’s also the first undrafted quarterback to win each of his first three starts and throw for 750-plus yards over those games since Pro Football Hall of Famer Kurt Warner did so in 1999 with the St. Louis Rams.

Prescott is progressing well from fracturing his right thumb in the season opener, but it appears Rush will get at least one more start and possibly more. Right now, Week 6 at Philadelphia seems like the most likely return date for Prescott.

The Cowboys are a 3-point favorite, according to BetMGM, in Sunday’s game against the 1-2 Washington Commanders. If Rush can lead Dallas to another victory, he would become the first Cowboys quarterback, and 27th in NFL history, to win his first four starts. If he can get the best of the last three QBs, there’s no reason to think he can’t do the same this week against Carson Wentz, who is starting for his third different team in the last three seasons.

“He’s certainly playing as well as anybody could have expected,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said of Rush on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “There’s no question he understands this offense. He has got the makeup for a top quarterback, and I underline the word ‘makeup’ for a top quarterback. We’re very fortunate. The purpose of the backup quarterback in the NFL is to be able to step in and have your team function on all the cylinders without having to give up some of your offense that the starter usually takes with him when he leaves.

“In this particular case, you got somebody that knows this thing inside and out and he knows how to execute it, and we’re seeing that he will do that under pressure. He’ll do that when the chips are down. He’ll do that when the play isn’t exactly happening the way it’s designed to be.

“I think we’ve got a good one in Cooper.”

p1_

DCC 4Life
Color me amazed this dude has held this together like he has. Eagles might just end the fairy tale.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Color me amazed this dude has held this together like he has. Eagles might just end the fairy tale.
That's what they said going into the Rams game.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Not being emotionally involved has made this a much more
Pleasant season. Enjoying the results and not being worried that it will all crumble in the end. Kind of nice.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not being emotionally involved has made this a much more
Pleasant season. Enjoying the results and not being worried that it will all crumble in the end. Kind of nice.
Yeah I feel like once Dak got hurt I can of just wrote the season off and watched games more casually. Which has made it really nice for me. No stress, no nervous shits and yet we look great and are winning. Very enjoyable.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Cooper and I love all these naysayers talking like the guy hasn’t made throws.

Did he or did he not throw a last second TD to beat Minnesota in prime time last year?

Did he or did he not make some key throws Against Cincy late? Like 3 for 3 on the last drive to set up the fg? I may be misremembering that one.

He’s been the starting QB for the most high profile team in sports and all he’s done is gone 5-0 and beaten both teams from last years super bowl along the way.

I’ll take it. The last time I saw the default starter, he looked like shit warmed over and put 3 points up.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Dude. I get your excitement and need to quantify your Dak Prescott hate, but Quincy Carter made some throws, too. And I'd bet he'd be 5-0 with this defense, too.

He has surpassed all of our expectations. But he's not even half the QB you profess him to be.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Number of games Cooper Rush has ever in the history of the universe lost as an NFL starter:

ZERO

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I get Rush has lost zero games, but he’s done so on the backs of the defense, running game, and an OL that’s stepped up.

If Dak is healthy and not rusty, you start Dak. Period.

The main change is you don’t uncork the offense thinking this is still 2021. You need to embrace the run, even if it’s not lighting up the yardage stats, just like they are doing now

Top Bottom