Machota: Which Cowboys defender has caught Tony Romo’s eye during OTAs?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Which Cowboys defender has caught Tony Romo’s eye during OTAs?

Jon Machota

About a year ago at this time, Tony Romo was asked during a radio interview to give his breakout candidate for the 2014 season.

Romo was correct.

Crawford had his best season since the Cowboys selected him in the third round of the 2012 draft. He started 15 games, finishing with 33 tackles, three sacks and 29 quarterback pressures. More importantly, Crawford excelled at the three-technique tackle spot that is arguably the most important position in Rod Marinelli’s defensive scheme.

So who has caught Romo’s eye this year during organized team activities?

First-round pick Byron Jones.

“I think the rookie, Jones, has done a real good job,” Romo said of the defensive back Monday as he visited with The Hardline on 1310 The Ticket [KTCK-AM]. “I think that he has showed some promise. He’s got a skill set that … he’ll be able to grow and continue to get better as a player.

“That’s what you look for really from my perspective right away. It’s just, ‘OK, I see what he can do. Is there room for growth as he gets the game down and the subtleties of it, will he be able to utilize his abilities at the highest level?’ I think he has that ability. He’s already shown a couple good plays, but I don’t go by that because anybody can make a play here and there.

“It’s really about the positioning, his ability to catch up, his catch-up speed, and then just his intelligence and where to be with your body. He’s a rookie, so he’ll have some days he wants back, but at the same time, you see a future there.”

Before moving on to the next topic, Romo added that he thinks second-round pick Randy Gregory has also done a good job during OTAs.

Top Bottom