Machota: What the Cowboys need - From cornerback to backup QB, seven positions to make changes

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

By Jon Machota 2h ago

With the second week of NFL free agency underway, the 2021 Cowboys roster is beginning to take shape. A few free agents could still be added before the rest of the impact comes via 10 picks in next month’s draft. As a quick update of what still needs to be addressed, here’s a top 7 list.

1. Cornerback

Some interesting Cowboys-related draft news surfaced on Monday as it was revealed that Virginia Tech cornerback Caleb Farley is scheduled to have a microdiscectomy this week. The back procedure is expected to keep him out until training camp. If the Cowboys end up being completely sold that he’s the best cornerback in this class, this development shouldn’t alter their plans to take Farley, if he’s still available at No. 10. In Dane Brugler’s cornerback draft rankings, Farley was listed No. 1, followed by Alabama’s Patrick Surtain II and then South Carolina’s Jaycee Horn. Cornerback should still be addressed by the Cowboys in the first or second round of this draft. Re-signing Jourdan Lewis provides depth, but Dallas can’t go into the season thinking they’re all set at corner with Trevon Diggs, Anthony Brown and Lewis as the starters.

Caleb Farley (Brett Davis / USA Today)

2. Safety

Keanu Neal’s one-year, $5 million deal gives the Cowboys a veteran player who should be able to help at safety and linebacker. Neal has been a starting safety the last five years, but the NFL Network reported Monday that Dallas has plans to move him to weakside linebacker. Don’t rule out Neal still seeing time at safety in Dan Quinn’s Cover 3 scheme. After all, that’s what he played while Quinn was Neal’s head coach in Atlanta. The Cowboys clearly aren’t done at safety because they are also reportedly meeting with veterans Malik Hooker and Damontae Kazee this week. Hooker is the better player, but he missed 14 games last year with a torn Achilles tendon. Kazee played in Atlanta the last four seasons. He also missed 12 games last year with a torn Achilles. Either one would have an opportunity to start in Dallas, if healthy.

3. Defensive tackle

The pieces they added last week filled some reserve holes. Brent Urban and Carlos Watkins combined to start 19 games last year. They should provide depth to a group that already includes Trysten Hill, Neville Gallimore and Antwaun Woods. But still look for the Cowboys to address the position in the draft. This isn’t a particularly loaded defensive tackle draft class at the top, but there should be a player at some point that Quinn sees as a fit for how he’s trying to fix the middle of a defense that was run all over last season.

4. Linebacker

If Neal plays weakside linebacker, then Jaylon Smith would likely be making the move to strongside with Leighton Vander Esch moving back into the middle. Smith’s 2021 contract became fully guaranteed over the weekend, so he’s not expected to be going anywhere this offseason. Quinn hasn’t spoken publicly about his plans at linebacker, but even moving Neal into the position group shouldn’t eliminate Dallas from taking a linebacker in the first four or five rounds next month.

5. Edge rusher

This position got moved down the list slightly with the addition of Tarell Basham. He should be a solid pass rusher to mix in with DeMarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory and Dorance Armstrong. Basham started nine of the 16 games he played in last season as a 3-4 outside linebacker for the New York Jets, finishing with 3.5 sacks, 13 quarterback hits, five tackles for loss and 36 tackles. All were career-highs. Aldon Smith returning hasn’t been completely ruled out, but then why sign Basham? The additions that remain here are likely to be made in the draft. Gregory and Armstrong are unrestricted free agents at the end of the 2021 season. In 2017, Taco Charlton was the last edge rusher the Cowboys drafted in one of the first three rounds.

6. Offensive tackle

Some work was done with the signing of veteran Ty Nsekhe as a swing tackle. He should be able to help on either the right or left side if Tyron Smith or La’el Collins miss a short period of time. But this position is mentioned because of the future. Brandon Knight and Terence Steele started most of last season. But neither is expected to be the long-term answer if, for example, Smith calls it a career in the next few years. Why not try to find a more capable option to develop? If you consider Connor Williams a guard, because that’s the only position he’s played in the NFL, Dallas hasn’t drafted an offensive tackle since Chaz Green in the third round in 2015.

7. Backup quarterback

The Cowboys probably won’t end up with a player as talented as Andy Dalton like they did last May, but look for a veteran to be added at some point. Maybe it’s in the next couple of weeks in free agency, after the draft, or when rosters are trimmed before the start of the season. Don’t bet on Garrett Gilbert being Dak Prescott’s primary backup Week 1.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Writing is on the wall. Dallas is drafting a CB in the 1st round. No trade, no Slater... CB... and an injured one who opening day would not have played in two years.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
In other words, a week into free agency we have all the same damn needs we had a week ago.

Good work boys.
Basham and Urban are nice roleplayers but these guys are never going to make any structural changes in free agency. Neal is a step above the other two but that's not a signing that's meant to structurally fix the defense I don't think.

Let's hope they can manage to grab Alim McNeil, Daviyon Nixon or Christian Barmore.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Let's hope they can manage to grab Alim McNeil, Daviyon Nixon or Christian Barmore.
McNeil can be had with our own 4th rounder or maybe our compensatory 3rd round pick.

If Nixon is there in the second you almost have to take him.

I don’t touch Barmore with 1st round capital earlier than pick 20.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
McNeil can be had with our own 4th rounder or maybe our compensatory 3rd round pick.

If Nixon is there in the second you almost have to take him.

I don’t touch Barmore with 1st round capital earlier than pick 20.
Yea I'd be for trading down from 10 or trading up from 40 whatever for Barmore or really Nixon for that matter.

I'd even be happy with McNeil in the 2nd and definitely anywhere in the 3rd, don't think he'll be there in the 4th.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea I'd be for trading down from 10 or trading up from 40 whatever for Barmore or really Nixon for that matter.

I'd even be happy with McNeil in the 2nd and definitely anywhere in the 3rd, don't think he'll be there in the 4th.
Give me Barmore and Surtain and I'd be pretty happy. There is something about a legit 6'4" 310 pound DT that would be really nice to add up front.

Cotton

Staff member
But I'd say Surtain is much more likely. I don't see us drafting Farley in the first.
No way we are drafting Farley in the first with the back surgery thing. If we take a CB at 10 it will be Surtain.

Cotton

Staff member
Give me Barmore and Surtain and I'd be pretty happy. There is something about a legit 6'4" 310 pound DT that would be really nice to add up front.
I know it's a pipe dream, but my dream first two rounds is Surtain and then either Moerhig or Grant.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know it's a pipe dream, but my dream first two rounds is Surtain and then either Moerhig or Grant.
Also would be great. Fix the secondary for the foreseeable future and then stop with the nonsense of worrying about it.

Cotton

Staff member
Also would be great. Fix the secondary for the foreseeable future and then stop with the nonsense of worrying about it.
I'm afraid to get Moerhig, however, we would have to trade up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm afraid to get Moerhig, however, we would have to trade up.
I think Moerhig goes top 20 but you never know. Safeties can fall on draft day. Then suddenly you see them go right at the end of the first round or beginning of the second. Moerhig would definitely cost a trade up in my opinion. Or a trade back.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Wonder who checks out Rousseau’s pro day. Strange that Farley is consistently considered such a top prospect despite being injured while Rousseau slides after arguably much better college production.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wonder who checks out Rousseau’s pro day. Strange that Farley is consistently considered such a top prospect despite being injured while Rousseau slides after arguably much better college production.
I don't think people knew about the injury until recently. Covid has made medicals a pain in the ass.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd still be very happy with Rousseau at 10, if he blows up his pro day I could easily argue for him over Surtain, although I know it won't happen.

Top Bottom