Machota: What are the top 5 items on Cowboys’ offseason shopping list?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By Jon Machota Jan 8, 2020

Jerry Jones was talking about change less than an hour after the Cowboys concluded their 2019 season with a Week 17 win over the Washington Redskins. A week later, the franchise had a new head coach.

While there will be many changes around The Star, the Cowboys’ approach to free agency isn’t expected to be one of them.

They have a lot of money already tied up in DeMarcus Lawrence, Zack Martin, Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, Ezekiel Elliott, Tyrone Crawford, La’el Collins and Jaylon Smith. Those eight players are currently projected to count $100 million against the team’s roughly $200 million salary cap in 2020.

The Cowboys are currently projected to have around $80 million in cap space, which is among the five highest numbers in the NFL. But that’s before having to pay Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper, which Dallas is expected to do. Those two alone should take up around half of the available space. The Cowboys can find ways to create more room by restructuring deals, asking other players to take pay cuts or just outright releasing players.

But with all of that said, don’t look for the Cowboys to be very active in the early days when free agency begins on March 18. Expect for it to be something similar to the last few years where the biggest additions are one- or two-year deals for veterans like Randall Cobb, Kerry Hyder, Allen Hurns and Cameron Fleming. To the Cowboys’ credit, they also found a way to pull off a March trade last year for Robert Quinn, who put together a fantastic 2019 season. Perhaps something like that could happen again this year around free agency.

To give you an idea of where the Cowboys will be looking to upgrade and make changes, here’s a breakdown of their five biggest areas of need and how they could be addressed.

1.) Cornerback. Byron Jones is the top cornerback available in this year’s free agency class. Top players at his position are averaging around $15 million per year. Jones is expected to get a deal in that neighborhood. The franchise tag on a corner last season was $16 million, and that number is expected to increase this year. Considering that Prescott and Cooper are higher priorities for the Cowboys, Jones could be the odd man out. He hasn’t intercepted a pass since Week 8 in 2017, but he has emerged as one of the NFL’s top cover corners over the last two seasons.

Options: Look for the Cowboys to attempt to keep Jones on a somewhat team-friendly deal. If that doesn’t work, they’ll have to address the position early in the draft. Keeping free-agent cornerback Anthony Brown is also an option. He has started 33 games since being drafted in the sixth round in 2016. But that move wouldn’t prevent the Cowboys from targeting a corner as early as the 17th overall pick in April.

2.) Defensive tackle. A key factor in addressing this position is the type of defense new head coach Mike McCarthy wants to run. Mike Nolan is expected to be named the team’s new defensive coordinator. He had a history of running 3-4 schemes up until his stop in Atlanta as DC (2012-2014), where the Falcons ran a 4-3. He was then a 3-4 linebackers coach with the Chargers for a year before becoming a 4-3 LB coach with the Saints over the previous three seasons. Jim Tomsula is expected to become the team’s next defensive line coach. He spent the last three seasons with the Redskins, who were in a 3-4 defense. His first nine years of NFL experience came with the 49ers, who were also in a 3-4.

The Cowboys have been running a 4-3 defense over the last seven years. Do they have the correct personnel to make the switch? It doesn’t seem like that would be the case. With that being said, most experts will tell you there is no longer a significant difference between the two, considering how often teams are in nickel and dime packages.

Options: The most obvious choice is re-signing some of their own. Starting three-technique tackle Maliek Collins should be their top priority if he fits what the new staff is looking for. Starting one-technique tackle Antwaun Woods is a restricted free agent. In terms of other free agents, Michael Brockers would be an interesting name. He might be too expensive, but the former first-round pick just turned 29. He had three sacks in 16 starts last year. Brockers is the player the Rams drafted 14th overall with the pick they got from the Cowboys in 2012 when they moved up to get Morris Claiborne.

This could also be a position addressed early in the draft. Dallas drafted defensive tackle Trysten Hill in the second round last year, but he played in only seven games, finishing with five tackles.

3.) Safety. No team has valued the safety position less than the Cowboys over the last decade. Could McCarthy put a bigger emphasis on it? His Packers teams were known for taking the ball away on the back end, something that has been missing in Dallas. Green Bay averaged 19 interceptions per season during McCarthy’s 13 years as head coach. The Cowboys over the last nine seasons have averaged just under 11, and that average is only 8.6 in the past five years.

Options: Xavier Woods and Donovan Wilson are two young pieces to potentially build around, but what about Jeff Heath? Will he be re-signed? While the Cowboys haven’t been willing to spend on the position in the past, perhaps the addition of McCarthy could lead to a closer look at two of his former Green Bay defensive backs who happen to be free agents: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Damarious Randall. The Packers drafted Clinton-Dix 21st overall in 2014. He’s interceped 16 passes in seven seasons. He had a career-high five on McCarthy’s 2016 Packers team. The Packers drafted Randall 30th overall in 2015. Randall was a cornerback in Green Bay before being converted to a safety after he was traded to Cleveland.

The draft is also an option. During McCarthy’s last five years in Green Bay, the Packers drafted seven defensive backs in the first two rounds.

4.) Defensive end. All the Cowboys have to do is sign three-time Pro Bowler Jadeveon Clowney, and they should be all set at the position. I’m kidding; that’s not happening. But maybe they can find a way to keep Robert Quinn or even work out a similar type of trade to acquire a pass-rusher nearing the end of his contract. Either way, they need to add to the position.

Options: There are free agents like Vic Beasley and Markus Golden. However, the draft again seems like a good place to target the position early. A name to keep an eye on: Boise State edge rusher Curtis Weaver. The 6’3, 265- pound defender is being projected as an outside linebacker, but if the Cowboys believe he can play defensive end, he could be a fit. We already know how highly they think of Boise State products. Weaver had 34 sacks and 47.5 tackles for loss over the last three seasons with the Broncos.

5.) Tight end. Jason Witten’s future is a key piece to this puzzle. If he returns for another season, the position is still a priority, but not as significant. Blake Jarwin is a restricted free agent. He’s not going anywhere.

Options: Austin Hooper, Hunter Henry and Eric Ebron are among the top tight ends in this free agency class. They will also probably be too expensive for the Cowboys. Cheaper free agency options include Richard Rodgers and Lance Kendricks, both of whom played for McCarthy in Green Bay.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Why is CB always the medias top priority every single year?

We need a NT and a S far more than we need a CB.

Every year this team has needs and every year it seems like most pundits think we need to draft/sign a CB above all else.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is CB always the medias top priority every single year?

We need a NT and a S far more than we need a CB.

Every year this team has needs and every year it seems like most pundits think we need to draft/sign a CB above all else.
If Epenesa declares I think he would be a stellar 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE. Would be a great pick for us in the first round. I think he would fit what Nolan likes a lot.

I'm very curious what D we will run. Byron might not even be a great fit if we run a scheme that isn't cover 3 heavy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The plan is simple and takes literally 30 minutes to put together.

CB: Re-sign Anthony Brown for cheap, let Byron walk, draft a CB ideally somewhere in rounds 2-4 for depth and hopefully he turns into a starter by Year 2.

DT: Sign David Onyemata for cheap assuming Nolan wants to bring him from New Orleans. Look to invest heavily in a run-stuffing NT (Michael Pierce, DJ Reader, Javon Hargrave), if you'd rather spend big gauge the market for guys like Jordan Phillips or Arik Armstead, otherwise go after one of the mid-range NT types. Jarran Reed, Derek Wolfe, Quinton Jefferson and Brockers may be 3-4 DE/4-3 DT hybrid types to consider as well. Draft Epenesa or Kinlaw if they're there at 17 almost regardless of who else is available (Delpit as the lone exception).

S: Sign Vonn Bell if Nolan wants to bring him from New Orleans, I'd imagine he gets somewhere around 6-7/year. He'd be a nice pairing as more of a box safety with the rangier Woods. Re-sign Heath for very cheap as your 3rd safety/core ST'er. If not Bell gauge Anthony Harris from Minnesota as another mid-range option, guys like Justin Simmons will be too expensive and DT is where we should be spending heavily. If you can't sign a Bell/Harris-type look to the draft, Delpit could easily be there at 17, if not Xavier McKinney would be a nice backup option if Epenesa/Kinlaw are gone (Brown won't be there).

DE (OLB?): Let the staff determine whether or not Quinn fits what they want to do, if so try to bring him back on a short 2-3 year in the 12/year range. If he doesn't fit look at guys like Vic Beasley, Dante Fowler, Shaquil Barrett and Matt Judon. This could also be addressed in the draft with a guy like Chaisson or Weaver in the 1st, or a number of 2nd round types.

TE: Hunter Henry, Eric Ebron or the draft. There's actually a number of 2nd-3rd round types that would form a decent enough pairing with Jarwin (Brycen Hopkins, Hunter Bryant, Colby Parkinson, Obukequewhatever from Missouri).

Misc: Look at AJ Klein from New Orleans as cheap depth at LB and re-sign Joe Looney and Cobb.

The good news is that there are really good options both in free agency and the draft at DT, S, DE (OLB?) and TE. We won't be able to fill everything with the most premium of resources but it shouldn't be too difficult to strike a balance between addressing these areas between FA and the draft. I'm hopeful that we'll spend in FA given the new staff and a potential shift in defensive philosophy.

Feel free to bookmark this for future reference.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
You know, Awuzie gets beat up a lot by the media but I think he's pretty decent. He's always around the ball and tackles pretty well. You can win with players like him. Pulling up the Brinks truck for Jones isn't going to put us over the top, that's for sure.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You know, Awuzie gets beat up a lot by the media but I think he's pretty decent. He's always around the ball and tackles pretty well. You can win with players like him. Pulling up the Brinks truck for Jones isn't going to put us over the top, that's for sure.
He's ok, the main issues are his ball skills and tackling. He was a decent enough tackler last year so I think a new staff will fix that, his ball skills/getting his head turned won't change so that's just something we'll have to live with.

Ideally he's a solid number 2 CB I think, combine him with Lewis and Brown and you can get by. It's not ideal but that's why we should look at drafting a CB relatively early.

data

Forbes #1
Id be in support for a salary cap discount for resigning players you drafted. Even if 10%.

Cowboys draft Player A. Multiple teams offer $10M-per-year and counts for $10M against the cap. Cowboys still pay $10M, but only $9M counts against cap.

data

Forbes #1
He's ok, the main issues are his ball skills and tackling. He was a decent enough tackler last year so I think a new staff will fix that, his ball skills/getting his head turned won't change so that's just something we'll have to live with.

Ideally he's a solid number 2 CB I think, combine him with Lewis and Brown and you can get by. It's not ideal but that's why we should look at drafting a CB relatively early.
He’s good enough considering his cap value and upside with new coaching staff. I’m assuming the old guard was coaching it out of him.

Plus, he’s got Drew Pearson draft mojo. He’s got to have untapped potential yet.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
DT: Sign David Onyemata for cheap assuming Nolan wants to bring him from New Orleans. Look to invest heavily in a run-stuffing NT (Michael Pierce, DJ Reader, Javon Hargrave), if you'd rather spend big gauge the market for guys like Jordan Phillips or Arik Armstead, otherwise go after one of the mid-range NT types. Jarran Reed, Derek Wolfe, Quinton Jefferson and Brockers may be 3-4 DE/4-3 DT hybrid types to consider as well. Draft Epenesa or Kinlaw if they're there at 17 almost regardless of who else is available (Delpit as the lone exception).
A lot depends on what defense we land on actually running. I really like Jarran Reed. The suspension will probably hurt his value but he isn't that far removed from a 10 sack season. Of course the potential for suspension also makes me nervous.

Ultimately if I'm going to bust my nut in free agency or on Byron I'd rather go get a big time free agent like Arik Armstead and pair him with Epenesa in the draft and just have a monster Dline. Let the corners benefit as a result.

Makes way more sense to me then resigning a guy like Jones who is solid but not great. And who knows how he will fit in a new scheme. Plus Nolan likes to create turnovers and Byron is like the anti turnover. The more guys with ability to pick stuff off in the secondary the more likely you are to get INTs. If you have one guy who you know won't its hard because you're now hoping the other 3 or 4 guys can pick up all the slack.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id be in support for a salary cap discount for resigning players you drafted. Even if 10%.

Cowboys draft Player A. Multiple teams offer $10M-per-year and counts for $10M against the cap. Cowboys still pay $10M, but only $9M counts against cap.
I agree but this flies in the face of the parity the NFL wants. Of course what you end up with is a bunch of similar rosters where a great QB or coach makes all the difference. Would be nice to see a team actually be able to build a special defense and actually keep them together.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A lot depends on what defense we land on actually running. I really like Jarran Reed. The suspension will probably hurt his value but he isn't that far removed from a 10 sack season. Of course the potential for suspension also makes me nervous.

Ultimately if I'm going to bust my nut in free agency or on Byron I'd rather go get a big time free agent like Arik Armstead and pair him with Epenesa in the draft and just have a monster Dline. Let the corners benefit as a result.

Makes way more sense to me then resigning a guy like Jones who is solid but not great. And who knows how he will fit in a new scheme. Plus Nolan likes to create turnovers and Byron is like the anti turnover. The more guys with ability to pick stuff off in the secondary the more likely you are to get INTs. If you have one guy who you know won't its hard because you're now hoping the other 3 or 4 guys can pick up all the slack.
There is no chance I'd re-sign Byron, I don't even want him back on an under market value contract for like 12-13/year honestly. He's a good CB but he has horrific ball skills and I only want CB's who can make plays on the ball.

Keeping Awuzie/Lewis/Brown while we transition is fine since they're all still cheap and can get us by but there's no chance I'm investing heavily in a guy who literally can never find the ball.

Spend it all on the DL with maybe a safety mixed in if we can get a Bell or Harris on a decent enough deal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no chance I'd re-sign Byron, I don't even want him back on an under market value contract for like 12-13/year honestly. He's a good CB but he has horrific ball skills and I only want CB's who can make plays on the ball.

Keeping Awuzie/Lewis/Brown while we transition is fine since they're all still cheap and can get us by but there's no chance I'm investing heavily in a guy who literally can never find the ball.

Spend it all on the DL with maybe a safety mixed in if we can get a Bell or Harris on a decent enough deal.
Yeah I'm pretty comfortable drafting a safety and starting them right out of the gate. I hate forcing my hand in the draft on the position so a free agent is a good idea but more important is making sure we have some good DTs in here before the draft. I'd do like the Packers last year and open the purse strings to remake the defense up front. You can still draft a guy like Kinlaw but I'd spend some money in free agency in a DT. Probably even 2.

data

Forbes #1
I agree but this flies in the face of the parity the NFL wants. Of course what you end up with is a bunch of similar rosters where a great QB or coach makes all the difference. Would be nice to see a team actually be able to build a special defense and actually keep them together.
Yeah, Seahawks drafted like 9 of their L.O.B. starters and could only keep it together for 4 seasons. I think only Bobby Wagner remains.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah I'm pretty comfortable drafting a safety and starting them right out of the gate. I hate forcing my hand in the draft on the position so a free agent is a good idea but more important is making sure we have some good DTs in here before the draft. I'd do like the Packers last year and open the purse strings to remake the defense up front. You can still draft a guy like Kinlaw but I'd spend some money in free agency in a DT. Probably even 2.
I think you could still make an argument for Delpit if Kinlaw/Epenesa are gone at 17 even if we sign a guy like Bell. Bell could function as a box safety/LB hybrid in 4-2-5 type alignments with Delpit/Woods as the more traditional coverage safeties.

I can't see a scenario where Delpit is still on the board along with either Kinlaw/Epenesa, so it doesn't really matter what we do on the DL in FA as far as I'm concerned, I'd still draft Kinlaw/Epenesa regardless. The only tough decision would be if somehow Delpit is still there along with one of the 2 DL and we only addressed one of the two positions in FA. Even then, I think they're all relatively equally rated prospects so you just have to go with need as the tiebreaker.

I'd still take whichever of the 3 are available regardless of FA, assuming only one of them is on the board.

The only situation where we could potentially fuck it up is if Delpit is gone, we addressed the DL in FA and we pass up Epenesa/Kinlaw in favor of a guy like Xavier McKinney, who I still like, just not as much.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you could still make an argument for Delpit if Kinlaw/Epenesa are gone at 17 even if we sign a guy like Bell. Bell could function as a box safety/LB hybrid in 4-2-5 type alignments with Delpit/Woods as the more traditional coverage safeties.

I can't see a scenario where Delpit is still on the board along with either Kinlaw/Epenesa, so it doesn't really matter what we do on the DL in FA as far as I'm concerned, I'd still draft Kinlaw/Epenesa regardless. The only tough decision would be if somehow Delpit is still there along with one of the 2 DL and we only addressed one of the two positions in FA. Even then, I think they're all relatively equally rated prospects so you just have to go with need as the tiebreaker.

I'd still take whichever of the 3 are available regardless of FA, assuming only one of them is on the board.

The only situation where we could potentially fuck it up is if Delpit is gone, we addressed the DL in FA and we pass up Epenesa/Kinlaw in favor of a guy like Xavier McKinney, who I still like, just not as much.
My hope is with cap space and a totally new coaching staff that they are allowed to actually do something in free agency. The amount of free agents we have and the cap space allow us to make real changes on defense instead of just keeping our own like we have seen in the past under Garrett.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
My hope is with cap space and a totally new coaching staff that they are allowed to actually do something in free agency. The amount of free agents we have and the cap space allow us to make real changes on defense instead of just keeping our own like we have seen in the past under Garrett.
I wish we could return almost the same team. I think with this coaching staff, that team would have been at least NFC Championship worthy. But things never quite work that way.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I wish we could return almost the same team. I think with this coaching staff, that team would have been at least NFC Championship worthy. But things never quite work that way.
Not with the players they have on defense. Nolan might work some magic, but the fact is the D is lacking playmakers outside of Lawrence. The DL can’t get consistent pressure on the QB and there’s no playmakers at the S position. That all needs fixed. I believe the O is there, but that D needs some good players.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not with the players they have on defense. Nolan might work some magic, but the fact is the D is lacking playmakers outside of Lawrence. The DL can’t get consistent pressure on the QB and there’s no playmakers at the S position. That all needs fixed. I believe the O is there, but that D needs some good players.
Yeah I basically want bring the whole offense back and remake the D.

Top Bottom