Machota: Wade Wilson - Tony Romo has ‘exceeded expectations’ during Cowboys OTAs

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
QB coach Wade Wilson: Tony Romo has ‘exceeded expectations’ during Cowboys OTAs

Jon Machota

IRVING – For the first time in three years, Tony Romo was a full participant at organized team activities.

The Cowboys finished up that three-week portion of their offseason program on Wednesday with their Pro Bowl quarterback taking part in all individual and team drills.

“He has way exceeded expectations,” Cowboys quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson said. “We really didn’t anticipate him to practice three days in a row and he hasn’t missed anything. He’s taking the amount of reps he’s supposed to take and he’s throwing the ball with a lot of authority and really engaged with the guys.”

Recovering from back surgeries the last two years, Romo had sat out OTAs. Last year during training camp, Romo never practiced more than two consecutive days. During the 2014 season, he eventually got into a routine of sitting out Wednesday practices to rest his back.

Wilson said monitoring Romo this year is a “feel thing.” There’s constant communication between the athletic trainers, the coaching staff and the veteran QB.

“It’s been good,” Romo said Wednesday. “I’ve been building the base up, continuing to get stronger each week. I’ve just been excited about how it has been going and the progression.”

Romo seems as confident as ever this offseason. He was particularly accurate during one of last week’s practices, completing six of seven passes during a team drill. On Wednesday, arguably his best throw came during a two-minute drill where he connected with Cole Beasley for a TD down the seam.

“We have compete periods and that was the one to win,” Romo explained. “Those are two-minute situations in the game when you’re down three, so we went down and scored. It’s a great feeling. I’ve always loved competition and just each day I want to kind of get that sensation of whether you’ve won or lost. I guess we had that today.”

What is offensive coordinator Scott Linehan’s assessment of Romo after three weeks of work?

“I just see a veteran who is confident because he’s got the experience and the credibility and the background to be there,” Linehan said. “What I’m most impressed about is that his confidence comes from preparation. There’s never a time he’s not thinking of the game, he’s not thinking of, ‘If we’re in this situation, what do we do?’

“I think that’s a great part about his game, he’s got that experience, he’s got that football mind that quarterbacks have to have and he has the credibility with his teammates because he’s one of the guys that is going the extra mile to get himself prepared.”

Top Bottom