Machota: The 2020 NFC East is on pace to be the worst division in NFL history

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

By Jon Machota 2h ago

FRISCO, Texas — Cowboys linebacker Leighton Vander Esch seemed surprised by the question.

Through 12 weeks, Dallas finds itself in last place in the NFC East at 3-8, but only a game back of the division lead.

Given how historically bad the division is, it has to be something that’s talked about among teammates, right?

“Don’t take this personal, but I think that’s a ridiculous question,” Vander Esch responded Wednesday. “We’re focusing on ourselves, we’re focusing on what we can do to make the playoffs. That comes week after week after week. We focus on ourselves every single day in practice, every meeting, getting the most out of it, taking it slow, not getting too far ahead of ourselves, not worrying about other teams in our division or other teams around the league.”

The bar has been set so low in the NFC East that although Dallas can’t finish any better than 8-8, they still have an opportunity to host a playoff game.

“It’s still all there in front of us,” wide receiver Michael Gallup said. “We say it every week. Now you’ve just really got to dig in and believe it.”

Added center Joe Looney: “It gives us something to play for. We’ve still got a chance of holding up that trophy at the end of the year, so I think that’s always exciting.”
Never has Jim Mora’s famous news conference rant from 2001 better fit an entire division. The then-Indianapolis Colts coach was asked by a reporter following a loss to the San Francisco 49ers if the team would have to win out to make the playoffs.

“Ah, playoffs,” Mora responded. “Don’t talk about … playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game. Another game.”

The Colts had just dropped to 4-6 — a record that would currently put them in first place in the NFC East.

HOW BAD IS IT?

The four NFC East teams — Cowboys, Eagles, Giants and Washington — have a combined record of 14-29-1. Nine of those wins have come within the division. The other five have been over the Bengals (twice), 49ers, Falcons and Vikings. All four teams have losing records.

The NFC East is on pace to have only the third team in NFL history make the playoffs with a losing record. The others were the 2010 Seattle Seahawks (7-9) and the 2014 Carolina Panthers (7-8-1). The Seahawks went on to defeat the New Orleans Saints in their wild-card matchup before losing to the Chicago Bears in the divisional round. The Panthers also won in the wild-card round, defeating the Arizona Cardinals before falling to the Seahawks in the divisional round.

This season’s NFC East has a chance to be worse than both of those teams, possibly sending a team with only five or six wins to the playoffs. The NFL Draft impact is also interesting. All four teams are currently in position for a top-eight pick. However, a playoff team can’t pick higher than 19th. Members of all four teams would say right now that they’d prefer making the playoffs, even if it means probably losing in the wild-card round. But it will cost them in April when, instead of selecting at the top of each round, they’ll be picking in the middle.

Here are some graphs that break down just how poorly the division ranks comparatively going back to 2002. The Y-axis measures teams based on our own Ethan Douglas’ Expected Power Rating metric. The X-axis indicates regular-season wins. The current projection has the Giants winning the division at 6-10.

This graph reflects point differential across the league.

Not only is it the worst division in terms of wins and losses, but each team has a negative point differential, with the Cowboys ranking second to last in the NFL at minus-108. The graph below showcases the aggregate EPR of every division going back to 2002. The 2020 NFC East has spent much of this season in the bottom spot and has a chance to finish there.

HOW DID WE GET HERE?

Rick Gosselin has covered the NFL for 48 years. He has never seen anything like this year’s NFC East.

He believes that, given how the NFL has been designed for parity, this season will be looked back upon as an outlier. Many have suggested the league needs to change its rules and prevent teams with losing records from making the playoffs. Gosselin doesn’t see that happening, but he thinks they could adjust so that a division champion with a losing record doesn’t get to host a wild-card game.

“That’s the whole key to the NFL: They want eight division races,” said Gosselin, a Hall of Fame voter and 2004 winner of the Pro Football Writer’s Association’s McCann Award. “They want fan bases to be excited that your team can go 6-10 and still win the division. Two or three teams are going to be playoff contenders in every division. It’s for the fans. They want people buying merchandise and tickets because their team is going to have a chance to win the division.”

From 1986 to 1995, Washington, Dallas and New York combined to win seven Super Bowls in 10 years. Gosselin calls that the gold-standard era for the division. NFC East teams have won three Super Bowls in the last 13 seasons. No team has won the division in back-to-back years since 2004.

So, what happened?

“I’ll give you three reasons,” Gosselin said. “Take it back to the gold-standard era. Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs and Jimmy Johnson — three Hall of Fame coaches. Do you see any Hall of Fame coaches in this division? That’s the difference. They had great, great coaches. Some of the best coaches in history.

“Back in the late 80s, early 90s, those games were wars. You couldn’t wait for a division game. Hall of Fame players on both sides of the ball. Hall of Fame coaches on the sidelines. There was greatness on the field and greatness on the sidelines. And the games were greatness. Those teams hated each other. There are memories from that era.

“There are no memories from this era.”

data

Forbes #1
Gosselin doesn’t see that happening, but he thinks they could adjust so that a division champion with a losing record doesn’t get to host a wild-card game.
Either leave it alone or change all of it.

You change this rule for losing record div champs and the next complaint will be a 9-7 div champ hosting an 11-5 wild card.

I prefer leaving rules as is, but if you’re gonna change it, Change all of it by saying division champ guarantees playoff spot, but not seeding and reseed all playoff teams, based on record, not div champ/wild card status.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Either leave it alone or change all of it.

You change this rule for losing record div champs and the next complaint will be a 9-7 div champ hosting an 11-5 wild card.

I prefer leaving rules as is, but if you’re gonna change it, Change all of it by saying division champ guarantees playoff spot, but not seeding and reseed all playoff teams, based on record, not div champ/wild card status.
it seems idiotic to reward a losing record with a playoff game. Tad amount to the 'every kid's a winner/trophies for all' mentality. 6-10, what a great accomplishment!

asklesko

Whoa An Active DCCer
Does this mean that the 2020 Cowboys are on pace to be the worst team in the worst division in history?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Does this mean that the 2020 Cowboys are on pace to be the worst team in the worst division in history?
That is exactly what this means. Don't they make you proud?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd find it very upsetting if Dak was still in there and the offense was one of the best in the league if not the best. But the way things are going this season a respectable defense wasn't going to get us anywhere ultimately with Dalton and the injuries on offense. So in reality it's sort of a blessing in disguise that our defense blows. We need a new defensive coordinator after this year and some real pieces added.

asklesko

Whoa An Active DCCer
No, they make me sick. Pathetic losers the lot of them.

I'd find it very upsetting if Dak was still in there and the offense was one of the best in the league if not the best. But the way things are going this season a respectable defense wasn't going to get us anywhere ultimately with Dalton and the injuries on offense. So in reality it's sort of a blessing in disguise that our defense blows. We need a new defensive coordinator after this year and some real pieces added.
But other teams have new coaches, injuries, backup qbs, yet they are still respectable. And in this division, a bad team has more chance than any in history. Even with Dalton, we should be going 9-7.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, they make me sick. Pathetic losers the lot of them.

But other teams have new coaches, injuries, backup qbs, yet they are still respectable. And in this division, a bad team has more chance than any in history. Even with Dalton, we should be going 9-7.
So we go 9-7, you think Dalton is winning a Superbowl? With no Oline and an average defense? Nope the end result is the same, you either win the Superbowl or you don't. Once Dak went down we had no shot.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So we go 9-7, you think Dalton is winning a Superbowl? With no Oline and an average defense? Nope the end result is the same, you either win the Superbowl or you don't. Once Dak went down we had no shot.
It is still incredibly frustrating that a team that was supposed to be a playoff contender could look so inept.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
I've come to accept the fact that my favorite NFL team in one of the league's laughingstocks. Take a look at those trophies....they are ancient fucking history. We are the Lions, Bengals, ect......

asklesko

Whoa An Active DCCer
At this point, the Super Bowl is moot to me. Just be scrappy. We have seen how a little traction can lead to an upswing, like the bills and the browns recently. At this point, i just want some good football to start.

Top Bottom