Machota/Sturm: Cowboys conversation - Losing Randy Gregory shouldn’t cause Dallas to panic, there are other options

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant assuming the 4th or 5th best edge rusher in the draft is left at #24, how good is that guy this year. I know the draft is deep at that position this year but are there that many that are actually quaity players and not just Tacos.

I need to start watching all these guys myself in the next couple of weeks.

(And in case I misunderstood, I think Golston will be solid enough as a run player but no, not any kind of edge rusher.)
Ojabo to me is a young Gregory in terms of raw talent. Karlaftis is a high energy beast. Jermaine Johnson is a really good DE that tore up the Senior Bowl. Those are the guys to look at. I think Walker, Thib and Hutchinson are top 10 picks.

I'd look at those next three as potentially there at 24 and I really like them. There are a bunch of names after that which I could list as well. I like Mafe out of Minny who tore it up at the Senior Bowl too and is a great athlete.

Let me know if you want second round names because there are bunch of fun DEs in this draft. Cameron Thomas is a lot of fun if he lasts to the second. Ebiketie is a good one in the second. Myjai Sanders is skinny but kind of reminds me of Gregory's build coming out and a really good play maker. Gregory was like 235 in the draft but long and strong for his size.

Anyway that's my quick list of guys I like. There are more down my list.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant assuming the 4th or 5th best edge rusher in the draft is left at #24, how good is that guy this year. I know the draft is deep at that position this year but are there that many that are actually quaity players and not just Tacos.

I need to start watching all these guys myself in the next couple of weeks.

(And in case I misunderstood, I think Golston will be solid enough as a run player but no, not any kind of edge rusher.)
Gotcha, so you're probably talking about Ojabo or Karlaftis, and yes I think they could make an impact as rookies. I'd even feel good about a 2nd rounder like Ebiketie or Myjai Sanders.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Gotcha, so you're probably talking about Ojabo or Karlaftis, and yes I think they could make an impact as rookies. I'd even feel good about a 2nd rounder like Ebiketie or Myjai Sanders.
Ojabo is not an option for me at 24. I don't give a shit how much we want a pass rusher.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ojabo is not an option for me at 24. I don't give a shit how much we want a pass rusher.
Why don't you like Ojabo? I think he has 10 sack ability as a pass rusher. Maybe mediocre against the run but I'm good rotating him with guys like Golston and Osa at DE to balance it out.

What is your thoughts on Jermaine Johnson? Great athlete, great size, plays the run and the pass. Killed it at the Senior Bowl. I know his tape is supposedly up and down but 11.5 sacks this past year is pretty good along with 17.5 tfl.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why don't you like Ojabo? I think he has 10 sack ability as a pass rusher. Maybe mediocre against the run but I'm good rotating him with guys like Golston and Osa at DE to balance it out.

What is your thoughts on Jermaine Johnson? Great athlete, great size, plays the run and the pass. Killed it at the Senior Bowl. I know his tape is supposedly up and down but 11.5 sacks this past year is pretty good along with 17.5 tfl.
Ojabo is going to be a liability against the run for a while. I would have preferred a vet.

That pick at 24 is going to be a huge pick.

Top Bottom