Machota: Stars among stars - Assembling the Dallas Cowboys’ all-time 53-man roster

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By Jon Machota 35m ago

A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking about the Cowboys’ current depth chart when, for no great reason, my thoughts turned to who would be in the starting lineup if every player in franchise history was in their prime. I compiled a list and tweeted it out. Of course, there were some disagreements.

Reading through the names of players some believe I should have included, I decided to take it a step further and construct an entire 53-man roster. There will be disagreements with this group as well. That’s fine. I look forward to reading the comments at the bottom of this post.

One thing is pretty clear, though: This all-time team would stack up well against any other franchise’s best-ever 53-man roster.

Quarterbacks (3): There will be those who believe Don Meredith, Danny White or maybe even Dak Prescott deserves some consideration. Heck, I could probably have saved a roster spot by making White my third QB and punter. Oh, well. There’s no debating the first two.

Roger Staubach

Troy Aikman

Tony Romo

Running backs (5): How could I possibly leave off Daryl “Moose” Johnston? What about Walt Garrison? The top two are among the greatest the game has ever seen. The next three give the group a lot of versatility. Don Perkins is the only fullback in the Ring of Honor. Calvin Hill made four Pro Bowls in six seasons in Dallas. The Cowboys won two NFC championship games and a Super Bowl during that time. In four seasons, Ezekiel Elliott has won two rushing titles, been to three Pro Bowls and put himself only 812 yards behind Perkins for third place on the franchise’s all-time rushing yards list.

Emmitt Smith

Tony Dorsett

Don Perkins

Calvin Hill

Ezekiel Elliott

Wide receivers (5): The first four spots were relatively easy to finalize. The final one came down to Tony Hill and Terrell Owens. Hill never had a three-year statistical run like Owens did during his time in Dallas. But Hill, a three-time Pro Bowler, is third on the franchise’s all-time receiving yards list. He was Dallas’ top receiver for eight of his 10 NFL seasons.

Michael Irvin

Drew Pearson

Bob Hayes

Dez Bryant

Tony Hill

Tight ends (3): It came down to Doug Cosbie and Billy Joe DuPree for the final spot. Each went to three Pro Bowls. Cosbie had more receiving yards. DuPree had more touchdowns. The difference came down to the playoffs. In 11 postseason games, Cosbie caught 22 passes for 243 yards and three touchdowns. In 22 postseason games, DuPree caught 39 passes for 447 yards and four touchdowns.

Jason Witten

Jay Novacek

Billy Joe DuPree

Offensive line (10): There were a lot of tough decisions here to get this list down to 10. These four were the most difficult to leave off: Pat Donovan, Flozell Adams, Tom Raferty and Mark Tuinei. All of them have a case to be on the roster, but which of the 10 in this ridiculously loaded group would you leave off?

Larry Allen, OG

Rayfield Wright, OT

Zack Martin, OG

Tyron Smith, OT

Travis Frederick, C

Erik Williams, OT

Nate Newton, OG

Ralph Neely, OT

John Niland, OG

Mark Stepnoski, C

Special teams (4): Rafael Septien vs. Dan Bailey was the toughest call. Each went to one Pro Bowl. Bailey was more accurate, converting 186 of his 211 field goal attempts (88 percent). Septien converted 162 of 226 (72 percent). Bill Bates was included here instead of with the defensive backs because special teams is where he made his greatest impact. He was the first player to make the Pro Bowl for his special-teams contributions.

Dan Bailey, K

Mat McBriar, P

L.P. Ladouceur, LS

Bill Bates

Defensive line (9): Similar to the offensive line, it wasn’t easy trimming this group down to only nine. Larry Cole, Jim Jeffcoat, Tony Tolbert, La’Roi Glover and others deserve some consideration. But not over these nine. DeMarcus Lawrence has a chance to be in the conversation with a couple more standout years.

Bob Lilly, DT

Randy White, DT

DeMarcus Ware, DE

Ed “Too Tall” Jones, DE

Charles Haley, DE

Harvey Martin, DE

George Andrie, DE

Jethro Pugh, DT

Leon Lett, DT

Linebackers (5): There might be too much recency bias with this group. Dave Edwards, D.D. Lewis and Bob Breunig are all deserving. There’s no arguing with the top two, but the next three spots are highly debatable. Dexter Coakley was a three-time Pro Bowler. Ken Norton Jr. was one of the faces of the 1990s Cowboys defenses. Hollywood Henderson was a significant part of the 1977 Super Bowl team. Norton Jr. and Henderson each made one Pro Bowl while in Dallas.

Chuck Howley

Lee Roy Jordan

Thomas “Hollywood” Henderson

Dexter Coakley

Ken Norton Jr.

Defensive backs (9): Michael Downs and Dennis Thurman were both in consideration. But the final group is a good mix of corners and safeties that played from the 1960s to as recent as 2011. The total ended up coming out to 26 on offense and 24 on defense (with Bates), making for a pretty balanced group on both sides of the ball.

Mel Renfro, CB

Darren Woodson, S

Cliff Harris, S

Deion Sanders, CB

Cornell Green, CB

Everson Walls, CB

Charlie Waters, S

Terence Newman, CB

Roy Williams, S

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Is this supposed to be a 53-man roster comprised of the best players at each position, adding up to 53, over the years?

Or should it be a complimentary set of players that may not always be the best collection of talent, but instead the best team? I think the latter is more interesting, because then, yeah, you'd absolutely take Daryl Johnston over Ezekiel Elliott for the last RB spot.

I challenge any franchise in the league to put together a better collection of OL talent, by the way.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Two preliminary thoughts other than the previous thoughts I had in the other thread.

1. I never saw either play other than highlights, but I'm going to have an opinion on this anyway: Duane Thomas over Don Perkins (and Calvin Hill for that matter).

2. Roy Williams is the 4th best safety in franchise history? I don't know about that. I'd take Michael Downs and Thomas Everett over Williams.

data

Forbes #1
In addition to TFRW, I don’t like having Terence Newman in there. Herb Adderley only played two seasons, though. Kevin Smith comes to mind. If we’re talking about special team as well, then we’d need the Shark.

No Sean Lee?

Genghis Khan

Here is another one.

I advocated for Owens over Bob Hayes, but Hayes is a HOFer so it's at least reasonable.

But Hill over Owens? Come on. I have always been a big Tony Hill fan. He's virtually forgotten nowadays and he was really, really good. But Hill over Owens is certifiable.

data

Forbes #1
Here is another one.

I advocated for Owens over Bob Hayes, but Hayes is a HOFer so it's at least reasonable.

But Hill over Owens? Come on. I have always been a big Tony Hill fan. He's virtually forgotten nowadays and he was really, really good. But Hill over Owens is certifiable.
Although unstated, I think it's more to do with tenure as a Cowboy, cuz, yeah, TO is a much better WR than Tony Hill.

For me, Haley and Primetime are borderline 'Cowboys' and I probably would've disqualified them from this kind of list.

Genghis Khan

In addition to TFRW, I don’t like having Terence Newman in there. Herb Adderley only played two seasons, though. Kevin Smith comes to mind. If we’re talking about special team as well, then we’d need the Shark.

No Sean Lee?
Newman in his prime was as good as Kevin Smith, I believe. Maybe a toss up. Dennis Thurman might have argument too.

Sean Lee over Coakley, no question in my mind.

Genghis Khan

Although unstated, I think it's more to do with tenure as a Cowboy, cuz, yeah, TO is a much better WR than Tony Hill.

For me, Haley and Primetime are borderline 'Cowboys' and I probably would've disqualified them from this kind of list.
True, their time as Cowboys maybe changes things a little (though I still take Owens just on peak peformance but Hill's legacy with the team runs deeper).

If we are considering only a player's time in Dallas I still leave Haley and Sanders on. For me it's not about years per se, but some combination of time and impact. Haley and Sanders were both very instrumental in Super Bowl runs in Dallas so they both stay.

data

Forbes #1
For me it's not about years per se, but some combination of time and impact. Haley and Sanders were both very instrumental in Super Bowl runs in Dallas so they both stay.
If Cowboys won SB in 2007, this would change your opinion of TO’s 3yr tenure?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
2. Roy Williams is the 4th best safety in franchise history? I don't know about that. I'd take Michael Downs and Thomas Everett over Williams.
Michael Downs every day. Just a great knack for where the ball and play was. A lot of list-makers seemed to forget free safeties are important, too.

Thomas Everett though was a plan B cast off who helped out a couple of years. We won Superbowls the two years he was in Dallas, but I dare say he wasn't a big reason why :). Good player, though.

Roy Williams first five seasons were solid. He was at times exceptional, consistently forced turnovers, and there can be no doubt he sacrificed his body. Sure he was an idiot, but for a long while he was a good one.

Top Bottom