Machota: Projecting the Dallas Cowboys’ 55-man roster after the NFL Draft

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By Jon Machota 1h ago

When the NFL’s new collective bargaining agreement was approved in March, one of the immediate league changes was expanding the game-week rosters from 53 to 55. We were given a clearer picture with this past week’s draft of who might be on that final roster for the Cowboys, although executive vice president Stephen Jones said Saturday night that additions are still possible via free agency.

“We’ll keep our eyes open,” Jones said. “I actually have had communications already with some guys that could give us some veteran experience that might help these young guys.”

But why wait for a potential roster move or two? Let’s take a peek at what the Cowboys’ 55-man roster could look like if the season started this weekend.

QUARTERBACK (2): Seventh-round pick Ben DiNucci will compete with Cooper Rush for the backup job. It’s unlikely that the Cowboys will keep three quarterbacks on their final roster. Rush gets the edge because of his three years of experience of being Prescott’s backup. Rush signed his restricted free agent tender this offseason, giving him a one-year deal worth $2.1 million for the upcoming season. Prescott didn’t make that much over any of the last four seasons under his rookie deal.

Dak Prescott

Cooper Rush

RUNNING BACK (4): Four seems like a solid number at the position. Ezekiel Elliott and Tony Pollard are locks. Jamize Olawale, who is entering his ninth NFL season, should continue to be the fullback. The fourth spot comes down to Jordan Chunn and three players added after this year’s draft: Darius Anderson and Sewo Olonilua from TCU, and Rico Dowdle from South Carolina. Dowdle was the highest-rated prospect of that group by The Athletic’s Dane Brugler going into last week’s draft, so we’ll give him a slight edge.

Ezekiel Elliott

Tony Pollard

Rico Dowdle

Jamize Olawale

WIDE RECEIVER (6): The top three spots are obvious. The next three are up for debate. Before drafting CeeDee Lamb in the first round, Cedrick Wilson was probably No. 3 on the depth chart following the loss of Randall Cobb in free agency. Ventell Bryant played in 12 games for Dallas last year, mostly on special teams. He did have one catch, though, a 15-yard touchdown late against the Bills. The competition for the final few roster spots is Devin Smith, Noah Brown and Jon’Vea Johnson, who all were on the roster last season. The Cowboys also added undrafted rookie free agents Stephen Guidry (Mississippi State), Aaron Parker (Rhode Island) and Kendrick Rogers (Texas A&M). Smith, the 2015 second-round pick, grabs the last spot because he’s been the most productive in the NFL of the remaining group.

Amari Cooper

Michael Gallup

CeeDee Lamb

Cedrick Wilson

Ventell Bryant

Devin Smith

TIGHT END (3): These three seem like a decent bet right now. The Cowboys also have Cole Hikutini, who spent last season on the practice squad, and they added undrafted rookie free agents Sean McKeon (Michigan) and Charlie Taumoepeau (Portland State).

Blake Jarwin

Blake Bell

Dalton Schultz

OFFENSIVE LINE (9): The Cowboys could keep nine or 10 at the position, but only eight stand out right now. Tyron Smith and La’el Collins are the starting tackles with Brandon Knight as the swing tackle. Zack Martin and Connor Williams or Connor McGovern are the starting guards. Joe Looney and Tyler Biadasz will compete for the starting center job, with McGovern as another possibility. Williams also has the ability to be the swing tackle. That leaves at least one other roster spot for someone like Adam Redmond (14 NFL games), Marcus Henry, Cody Wichmann (24 NFL games), Mitch Hyatt, Wyatt Miller and undrafted rookie free agent tackle Terence Steele (Texas Tech). Hyatt gets the slight edge for no other reason than it was surprising they were able to sign the four-year Clemson starter after last year’s draft.

Tyron Smith, OT

La’el Collins, OT

Brandon Knight, OT

Mitch Hyatt, OT

Zack Martin, G

Connor Williams, G

Connor McGovern, G

Joe Looney, G/C

Tyler Biadasz, C

SPECIAL TEAMS (3): The only real position battle here is between kickers Greg Zuerlein and Kai Forbath. Forbath did a nice job replacing Brett Maher last December. Forbath made all 10 of his extra-point attempts and all 10 of his field-goal attempts, the longest coming from 50 yards. However, Zuerlein is the favorite because he has been new special teams coach John Fassel’s kicker for the last eight years with the Rams.

L.P. Ladouceur, LS

Greg Zuerlein, K

Chris Jones, P

DEFENSIVE LINE (10): The most interesting aspect of trimming down this position group is determining whether the Cowboys will have Aldon Smith or Randy Gregory available. Since neither has been reinstated, this is nothing more than a guess. But we’ll say one of them makes the final roster. For this exercise, we’ll go with Smith. Maybe both return and make the roster. Maybe neither of them do, and the Cowboys are forced to look elsewhere to add some veteran depth at edge rusher. Despite the position being arguably Dallas’ biggest need entering the draft, it was not addressed until Bradlee Anae was selected with the last pick in the fifth round.

DeMarcus Lawrence, DE

Dorance Armstrong, DE

Bradlee Anae, DE

Joe Jackson, DE

Aldon Smith, DE

Tyrone Crawford, DL

Gerald McCoy, DT

Dontari Poe, DT

Trysten Hill, DT

Neville Gallimore, DT

LINEBACKER (7): The Cowboys go a little deeper here because of how much this position helps on special teams. If Dallas goes with only six linebackers, the final spot could come down to Luke Gifford or Chris Covington. The Cowboys also added Francis Bernard (Utah) as an undrafted rookie free agent. Brugler had Bernard ranked as the 14th-best linebacker in this year’s draft class, giving him a 4th-5th round grade. Stephen Jones said when the draft ended, the Cowboys still had 11 players on their board. They were able to add seven of those 11. It seems like a good bet that Bernard was one of those players.

Leighton Vander Esch

Jaylon Smith

Sean Lee

Joe Thomas

Justin March

Luke Gifford

Chris Covington

DEFENSIVE BACK (11): This is another position that added an extra player because of their impact on special teams. Seven cornerbacks could seem like too many, but it might not be if one or two of them can also help at safety. “I’m very comfortable with the flexibility we have throughout our secondary players,” Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said Saturday. “I’m not as caught up in traditional free safety or strong safety as some may be. What I like about our numbers in the back end is that we have great competition and excellent flexibility. We may have some players that can not only play corner but can also slide over and play some safety.”

Trevon Diggs, CB

Chidobe Awuzie, CB

Jourdan Lewis, CB

Anthony Brown, CB

Reggie Robinson II, CB

C.J. Goodwin, CB

Maurice Canady, CB

Xavier Woods, S

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S

Donovan Wilson, S

Darian Thompson, S

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Interesting changes - roster size from 53 to 55, and also, that apparently rookie deals will only be 3 years instead of 4?

Newt

DCC 4Life
I like the increased roster size, it gives you some room for veteran guys that don't really play special teams.

Cotton

Staff member
Interesting changes - roster size from 53 to 55, and also, that apparently rookie deals will only be 3 years instead of 4?
No, rookie deals are still 4 years with a 5th year option (depending on the round the player is taken in). But, there are performance escalators for some rookies now.

Cotton

Staff member
Actually, you're right, I think. I think there is a clause that allows a rookie to renegotiate their rookie deal after year 3.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
From what I've read it's not exactly a 55 man roster. It's still 53 but each team can elevate 2 guys from the PS to the active roster and then send them back down to the PS without them having to clear waivers. They can only send them back to the PS twice before they're subject to waivers.

So the extra 2 slots above 53 have to be from our PS, so as far as I can tell we can't just have a 53-man roster and then go out and sign Everson Griffen and Jadeveon Clowney to make it 55. They'd have to be PS-eligible, signed to the PS first and then elevated to the roster.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
When the NFL’s new collective bargaining agreement was approved in March, one of the immediate league changes was expanding the game-week rosters from 53 to 55.

Oh, shit. I forgot about that. Nice.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
From what I've read it's not exactly a 55 man roster. It's still 53 but each team can elevate 2 guys from the PS to the active roster and then send them back down to the PS without them having to clear waivers. They can only send them back to the PS twice before they're subject to waivers.
This is an important clarification. This is really a better way of streamlining use of the practice squad. It encourages teams to develop players in general.

You'd have to assume after the two-promotion limit, a player would get an active roster slot (and official NFL minimum salary) and force another player off the active roster as normal.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is an important clarification. This is really a better way of streamlining use of the practice squad. It encourages teams to develop players in general.

You'd have to assume after the two-promotion limit, a player would get an active roster slot (and official NFL minimum salary) and force another player off the active roster as normal.
Yea I don't know what the implications are as far as keeping a guy all season, it'd be cool if you could basically get an extra roster spot as long as the guy is from your PS so you don't have to cut anybody.

I don't care enough right now to research it but we'll figure it out once the season starts.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yea I don't know what the implications are as far as keeping a guy all season, it'd be cool if you could basically get an extra roster spot as long as the guy is from your PS so you don't have to cut anybody.

I don't care enough right now to research it but we'll figure it out once the season starts.
Brandon Knight will be that guy.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Wasn't Chris Covington released weeks ago?

EDIT: Yeah, two days after this initial article.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I'm still holding out hope that someone, anyone, comes to their senses and Crawford is not on the 2020 roster.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm still holding out hope that someone, anyone, comes to their senses and Crawford is not on the 2020 roster.
I dunno what it is about him, but he has that "glue guy" thing going on.

You know, the guy that coaches talk about, he's the "leader" but not very good player, the one who everyone respects.

Guys like Crawford can develop when there are not a lot of strong personalities, from the head coach to the players.

It is worth mentioning that when Michael Bennett signed, he was instantly the alpha male.

I would like to sign him back, but they probably won't.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Crawford is not a bad player, just overpaid. It’s not like Jalen Jelks is better than him.
He's a miscast player. He has been since they switched over from the 3-4 defense. But he's a much better player inside and a liability outside. And yes, grossly overpaid.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I dunno what it is about him, but he has that "glue guy" thing going on.

You know, the guy that coaches talk about, he's the "leader" but not very good player, the one who everyone respects.
Yeah, the one's that turn my stomach because they're a bunch of talk and words thrown together than never win games on Sunday. Heath was another one for me. At this point, Crawford is the last remaining one on my list.

Guys like Crawford can develop when there are not a lot of strong personalities, from the head coach to the players.

It is worth mentioning that when Michael Bennett signed, he was instantly the alpha male.

I would like to sign him back, but they probably won't.
I'm not a fan of Bennett and if they did cut Crawford, I'd use the money on Everson Griffen. He's undeniably a RDE.

Top Bottom