Machota - No NFL team values the safety position less than the Dallas Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No NFL team values the safety position less than the Dallas Cowboys

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer Contact Jon Machotaon Twitter:mad:jonmachota

Over the last six years, no NFL team has valued the safety position less than the Dallas Cowboys.

Executive vice president Stephen Jones acknowledged before the draft that safety had the least amount of resources of any position on their team.

Since the 2013 draft, 75 percent of NFL teams have picked at least one safety in the first or second round. The Cowboys are one of eight that have not.

Here's what those other seven teams have done at the position.

Vikings: Drafted Harrison Smith in the first round in 2012. He has made the last four Pro Bowls.

Bills: Signed Micah Hyde in 2017 to a five-year, $30.5 million deal. They also had three-time Pro Bowler Jairus Byrd from 2009 to 2013.

Panthers: Signed Eric Reid in February to a three-year, $22 million contract.

Bears: Signed Pro Bowler Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to a one-year, $3 million deal in March. They already have Eddie Jackson (six interceptions last season), a 2018 Pro Bowler, on the roster. He was a fourth-round pick in 2017.

Broncos: Signed Pro Bowler T.J. Ward to a four-year, $23 million contract in 2014. They spent a third-round pick in 2016 on Justin Simmons.

Lions: Signed Pro Bowler Glover Quin to a five-year, $23.5 million deal in 2013 and then a two-year, $13 million extension in 2017. They also drafted Tracy Walker in the third round in 2018.

Eagles: Signed Pro Bowler Malcolm Jenkins to a three-year, $15.5 million contract in 2014. They then signed him to a four-year, $35 million extension in 2016. Signed Rodney McLeod to a five-year, $35 million deal in 2016. Signed Walter Thurmond to a one-year, $3.25 million contract in 2015.

The last time the Cowboys spent a first or second round pick on a safety was Roy Williams in 2002. Their most recent significant spending on the position was re-signing Gerald Sensabaugh for six years, $25 million in 2011.

The Cowboys currently have a safety depth chart that consists of Xavier Woods (sixth-round pick), Jeff Heath (undrafted free agent), George Iloka (one year, $1 million signing), Kavon Frazier (sixth round pick), Donovan Wilson (sixth round pick) and Darian Thompson (one year, $720,000 signing).

During last weekend's draft, three top safeties in this year's class -- Nasir Adderley, Taylor Rapp and Juan Thornhill -- were on the board when Dallas went on the clock with its first pick, No. 58 overall. The decision came down to Thornhill and UCF defensive tackle Trysten Hill.

The Cowboys chose Hill. Adderley, Rapp and Thornhill were all off the board within the next five picks.

"We felt better than people from the outside looking in feel about our safety position," Jones said after the draft. "I've mentioned time and time again that we don't have as much resources allocated to that position, and it is probably not by accident. We certainly look at that, and if you can find a difference maker, then you do it. I think we feel good about the group that we had coming in here.

"At some point, you know player acquisition is 365 days a year, if we see a situation to improve anything, then we will do it. At the same time, we like what we have at safety."

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Fans were tearing their hair out when Derwin James went off the board two slots before our pick. Something tells me we weren't drafting him anyway.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Nobody thought we'd crater in 2015 or 2017 and yet we did, we'll see what happens. I agree that we should be nowhere near the range those guys go in but lots can happen in 12 months.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Nobody thought we'd crater in 2015 or 2017 and yet we did, we'll see what happens. I agree that we should be nowhere near the range those guys go in but lots can happen in 12 months.
‘’15 was a crater, ‘’17 was more of a correction, and not having your biggest weapon for a stretch.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Besides projections now aren't usually great by a year from now. Players that are top pick locks fall. Players who you never heard of become top picks.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Unless the Cowboys crater in 2019, these guys are way out of our reach. No way we trade up for a safety IMO.
Been cratering, in one form or another, since 1996. Why is it always some desperate longing for the messiah in next year's draft?

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Jerry and Stephen anointing themselves as draft gurus, architects of building NFL rosters. Hasn't worked for many, many years -- decades in fact. This year is no different than last, or the next ten.

Jerry believes he has the answers, "feeling good about the group we have coming in here." He doesn't have the slightest fucking idea what he's talking about.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Jerry and Stephen anointing themselves as draft gurus, architects of building NFL rosters. Hasn't worked for many, many years -- decades in fact. This year is no different than last, or the next ten.

Jerry believes he has the answers, "feeling good about the group we have coming in here." He doesn't have the slightest fucking idea what he's talking about.
In Will Clay I trust. Otherwise, fuck it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I hate Jerry as much as anybody but over the last 5-7 years or so we've been one of the best drafting teams in the league. I don't like their approach to free agency but generally speaking the talent evaluation and team building has been significantly better now than it was in say, 2008.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate Jerry as much as anybody but over the last 5-7 years or so we've been one of the best drafting teams in the league. I don't like their approach to free agency but generally speaking the talent evaluation and team building has been significantly better now than it was in say, 2008.
Especially the drafting. We don't do shit in free agency which just tells you we have done that well in the drsft to be one of the more talented teams in the NFL. Despite what Schmitty says.

And frankly I appreciate the thought process that the Dline is more important than safety because the Dline has sort of first crack at destroying the play. It's the right thought process but it doesn't mean you can totally ignore safety and have no problems as a result.

I just think we had Trysten Hill ranked too highly given all his issues.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I just think we had Trysten Hill ranked too highly given all his issues.
2019== The Coaches Draft

Marinelli - Hill
Moore - Pollard
Richard - M. Jackson, Wilson

Of those picks only M. Jackson wasn’t a reach. Wilson won’t make the roster or else might get fined out of the league.

Our best picks were McGovern, M. Jackson, and Weber. Weber might even be a steal.

Get the coaches the fuck out of the room. They were determined to personally push the draft grade to a C.

There’s no room for pet cats, just the best talent.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I get the feeling that the staff really sees Iloka taking Heath's job. I cant help but agree, but that's not saying alot about Iloka per se. He has the highly coveted 6'4" frame that Richard loves so much.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Seems like everyone else knows what a mess Heath is as a starter and they see blood in the water.
And to their shock, we are all like "No, no, we'll have none of that. We like our guys.".

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And to their shock, we are all like "No, no, we'll have none of that. We like our guys.".
Yeah at first I read it like teams wanted some of our players. But instead it sounds to me more like teams are shopping their safeties they don't want to Dallas.

Top Bottom