Machota: Jerry Jones: Dallas Cowboys coaches and Dez Bryant are at fault for WR...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Dallas Cowboys coaches and Dez Bryant are at fault for WR not knowing the rules
By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
10:04 am on November 5, 2013 | Permalink

Jerry Jones blames Dez Bryant and the Dallas Cowboys coaching staff for Bryant’s 15-yard penalty on Sunday.

The Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager says Bryant should’ve known that he cannot take off his helmet on the field.

“That’s an Emmitt Smith rule,” Jones said Tuesday morning on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “The Dallas Cowboy players should know that one better than any team in the league. When players don’t know rules that’s a joint fault of coaching as well as the player.”

Late in the third quarter of the Cowboys’ 27-23 victory, Bryant removed his helmet to argue with an official about being flagged for offensive pass interference. Bryant was then hit with a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, which moved Dallas out of field-goal range.

Critics say Jones and the Cowboys coaching staff are too easy on the 25-year-old star wide receiver. But Jones argued that point and added that Bryant receives “hard coaching.”

“Dez’s skin is very tough, very thick,” Jones said. “He can take hard coaching. I’m not having any issues with being soft whether it be with verbal or whether it be with what you ask him to do with Dez Bryant. He gets as much as anybody out there, and gets hard coaching.”

This is being talked about way too much.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry: Bryant should have known rule
November, 5, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Jerry Jones won't accept ignorance of the "Emmitt Smith rule" as an excuse.

Dez Bryant wasn't aware of the rule until he picked up a personal foul Sunday for removing his helmet while discussing an offensive pass interference call with an official, costing the Cowboys 15 yards and knocking them out of field-goal range on the possession.

"That's the Emmitt Smith rule," Jones said Tuesday morning on KRLD-FM. "The Dallas Cowboy players should know that one better than any team in the league. When players don't know rules, that's a joint fault of coaching as well as the player."

The rule, which forbids players from taking off their helmets while on the field except for in timeouts, between quarters or in case of injury, was instituted in 1997 to cut down on taunting. It was named after the all-time leading rusher because of Smith's habit of removing his helmet while celebrating touchdowns.

Bryant admitted after Sunday afternoon's win over the Minnesota Vikings that he had no idea the rule existed until he was flagged, much to the delight of defensive end Jared Allen, who laughed and applauded when Bryant took off his helmet.

"All I know is, I know next time," Bryant said. "I learned my lesson."

Top Bottom