Machota: I’m thrilled to cover America’s Team for The Athletic

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Jon Machota 55m ago[/h]
I didn’t grow up with dreams of one day writing about the Dallas Cowboys. I wasn’t a great student, and I certainly didn’t think I’d ever be qualified to write professionally. But I’ve always loved sports.

Being raised in Metro Detroit, I was obsessed with the local teams and their star players.

After graduating from high school, I didn’t think working in sports was realistic, though. I wanted a job that would bring something new every day, so I enrolled in the law enforcement program at the local community college. I eventually graduated with an associate degree.

Let’s just say that, by the end of those two years, I realized that wasn’t the profession for me. I was painting houses to pay for college at the time and knew that wasn’t the answer, either. I don’t like heights. Painting windows 30 to 40 feet in the air was terrifying.

I had to find a way to work in sports.

That probably wasn’t going to happen without a bachelor’s degree. Unfortunately, not many of those law enforcement credits transferred. But my career path really started taking shape over the next four years at Wayne State University. While taking journalism classes, I was given an opportunity to do some freelance work with the Detroit Free Press. I was hooked. That’s what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I was going to take every assignment and force myself to become a better writer.

During that time I became friends with a Free Press sports editor who saw my passion and went out of his way to give me any assignments he could find. While that didn’t end up landing me a full-time job with the Free Press, it allowed me to keep getting better.

I was a decent high school basketball player. Not an all-state player or someone Tom Izzo was trying to recruit, but an all-county player. I was 6’0, 150. I planned to play at the local community college for two years, add some weight and then hopefully play two years at a Division II or III school. That never happened. I gave up on the dream before the regular season even started. To this day, giving up on basketball is my biggest regret.

I mention this because that regret has fueled my current career. I was going to give everything I had to improve as a writer and reporter, and I was going to cover pro sports. I didn’t care if it took me 20 years to get there.

So despite nothing full-time coming along in Michigan, I continued to freelance for several different local and out-of-state papers. I got a huge break in October 2010. The previously mentioned Free Press sports editor was now working at The Dallas Morning News. He had freelance opportunities. They weren’t going to pay enough for me to live on my own, but if I could find a roommate, he could find me work.

Within a week, I found someone to live with on Roommates.com, packed my car and made the 18-hour drive to Dallas. I didn’t care that I had never been to Texas or that I didn’t really know anyone there. It was all about the opportunity.

For the next three years I covered high school sports, car racing, rodeos, horse racing, marathons, boxing, golf, college football, college basketball, soccer, pro baseball, pro basketball and the Cowboys.

Nothing was like covering the Cowboys. It was like a drug. I was addicted. I was obsessed with going to Valley Ranch. I loved the constant interest in the team.

I was fine with covering whatever I was assigned, but I wanted to be at Valley Ranch as much as possible.

Now, the Cowboys were a big deal in Detroit in the 1990s. It was common to see kids at school wearing a Cowboys hat, shirt, jersey or jacket. I knew they were considered America’s Team. But getting to see that up close was on another level.

I had dreams of one day covering the Lions or Tigers or Pistons. Those all took a backseat once I started covering the Cowboys. That’s what I was going to do.

And I got my dream job in 2014. The DMN hired me full-time to cover the Cowboys early into that season. I’ll never forget getting that call. I was driving on the Dallas North Tollway, headed to Valley Ranch. That might not have been a big deal to a lot of people, but it was everything to me.

My first road game was in Seattle. Great city. Great stadium. Great atmosphere. Even better game. And I’ve been fortunate to cover so many more since.

The last five years have been unforgettable. I couldn’t have asked for better teammates. I worked with an outstanding group and made some great friends.

But a new opportunity recently presented itself. And it seemed like the perfect time to take on a new challenge.

So that’s why I’m joining The Athletic.

I believe they have a strong grasp on the future of sports journalism. I’ve been impressed by their product, which is filled with in-depth coverage that’s easy to follow from an extremely talented staff, both nationally and locally.

I’m looking forward to bringing readers even more in-depth stories and breaking news while continuing to find new and interesting ways to cover the team. I have experience in the podcast world, and I’m excited to contribute in that regard.

I’m open to any suggestions, questions or criticism, so don’t hesitate to send them my way via email (jmachota@theathletic.com) or social media (Twitter: @jonmachota, Instagram: @jonmachota).

Over the years, my brother and I have gone over countless scenarios:

“What if you got an offer to cover this team?”

“Would you move if there was a job opening here?”

“What about Alabama football? What about Duke basketball? What about the Yankees? What about the Lakers?”

Every hypothetical just reinforced that I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be. The Cowboys are the only team I want to cover.

And I hope to continue doing that at The Athletic for a long, long time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The DMN is going to be a wasteland pretty soon.

Cotton

Staff member
On a side note, it looks like Calvin Watkins went back to the DMN.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
They aren't helping themselves with that pay wall.
That's right. Make me pay to read something that's only marginally better than what I can get for free elsewhere. But it's the only choice the dead-tree media has.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Looks like Watkins is at the top of his game already. I mean really?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's right. Make me pay to read something that's only marginally better than what I can get for free elsewhere. But it's the only choice the dead-tree media has.
Even the stuff on ESPN Insider is dumb.

I'll never understand paying to read someone's opinion on something.

I'd get the paywall if it included some sort of perks or whatever, but putting one up just so I can read someone's take on whatever subject it might be is dumb.

I don't need to know or even care what Stephen A. Smith or Chris Mortensen thinks of a trade or what their projections for the season are to the point that I'd pay to find out.

Cotton

Staff member
Even the stuff on ESPN Insider is dumb.

I'll never understand paying to read someone's opinion on something.

I'd get the paywall if it included some sort of perks or whatever, but putting one up just so I can read someone's take on whatever subject it might be is dumb.

I don't need to know or even care what Stephen A. Smith or Chris Mortensen thinks of a trade or what their projections for the season are to the point that I'd pay to find out.
If anyone is looking for good content that is worth paying for, look no further than The Athletic. They have assembled a damn good team of writers.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If anyone is looking for good content that is worth paying for, look no further than The Athletic. They have assembled a damn good team of writers.
They are basically cornering the market on them.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And here's Watkins now writing for the DMN posting something 24 hours too late.

It is no wonder why the newspapers are swirling down the drain.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
They charge $5.00 a month (billed annually, so you're in for a year) and promise no ads or pop-ups. I'm no expert on digital business models, but I don't know how you pay a stable of good writers enough on that kind of revenue base. Unless the writers are working for peanuts.

Glad to hear from anybody who knows better.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They charge $5.00 a month (billed annually, so you're in for a year) and promise no ads or pop-ups. I'm no expert on digital business models, but I don't know how you pay a stable of good writers enough on that kind of revenue base. Unless the writers are working for peanuts.

Glad to hear from anybody who knows better.
I guess they are relying on the writers being the brand and bringing in the subscribers. They have collected a pretty good stable so it should be interesting to see how they do. They have exploded within just a year, I am curious about their business model as well.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I've heard figures of 100,000 subscribers. That puts revenue at around $6 million a year, give or take. They have 150 employees. At an average cost of $100,000 per employee -- compensation, taxes, benefits and travel expenses -- that adds up to $15 million.

They've raised $30 million in VC funding so somebody believes in them.

On the other hand, with the people they've hired and the salaries they're paying, some observers think they need 500,000 subscribers to survive.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Here's what's interesting about Machota's story about how he came to write for DMN:

"Nothing was like covering the Cowboys. It was like a drug. I was addicted. I was obsessed with going to Valley Ranch. I loved the constant interest in the team.

"I was fine with covering whatever I was assigned, but I wanted to be at Valley Ranch as much as possible.

"Now, the Cowboys were a big deal in Detroit in the 1990s. It was common to see kids at school wearing a Cowboys hat, shirt, jersey or jacket. I knew they were considered America’s Team. But getting to see that up close was on another level.

"I had dreams of one day covering the Lions or Tigers or Pistons. Those all took a backseat once I started covering the Cowboys. That’s what I was going to do.

"And I got my dream job in 2014. The DMN hired me full-time to cover the Cowboys early into that season. I’ll never forget getting that call. I was driving on the Dallas North Tollway, headed to Valley Ranch. That might not have been a big deal to a lot of people, but it was everything to me."

Does that sound like someone who would provide objective, unbiased coverage? Or does it sound more like someone who would put whatever favorable spin he had to on a story in order to stay on the Valley Ranch beat?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Does that sound like someone who would provide objective, unbiased coverage? Or does it sound more like someone who would put whatever favorable spin he had to on a story in order to stay on the Valley Ranch beat?
He sounds like every other homer running a team blog. He'd probably fit right in with Micky Spagnola and the other bootlickers on the Dallas Cowboys official site.

data

Forbes #1
He sounds like every other homer running a team blog. He'd probably fit right in with Micky Spagnola and the other bootlickers on the Dallas Cowboys official site.
Sho nuff. For $0.00/MO, get your shit straight-up on the DCC, where you can be the third to know after news has broken on Twitter

Top Bottom