Machota: Garrett wants Dallas Cowboys players to be like bullfighters

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jason Garrett wants Dallas Cowboys players to be like bullfighters

Published: December 17, 2014 5:44 pm

IRVING – Shortly after the Dallas Cowboys’ 38-27 win in Philadelphia, Jason Garrett addressed the team in the locker room.

The Cowboys head coach was especially proud of the way his guys fought back after blowing a 21-point lead.

During that speech, Garrett twice made a gesture that appeared to be a combination of wiping off his feet and digging in his heels.

“A lot of thoughts, guys” Garrett said. “A lot of thoughts. Hell of a job. Hell of a job. I can’t help from doing this over and over and over again (making the gesture with his feet).

“I just thought when it went to 24-21, I stood on the sideline and said, ‘Let’s see what we got? Let’s see what this football team is all about.’ They started hootin’ and hollerin’ and you know what we did (again making the gesture with his feet)?

“We made stops. We made plays. We did the things that winning teams do at nut-cutting time. It’s a hell of a job. I tell you this all the time: it’s about mental toughness, it’s about focus, it’s about will, it’s about fight. It was on display tonight.”

Garrett declined to comment when asked for details about his message.

“A lot of bullfighters do that before they get in the ring,” Cowboys defensive end Jeremy Mincey said. “Just to remind each other they’re just as tough as a bull and that’s our mentality. We’ve got to be as tough as the bull. We get in the ring with a bull, we’ve got to be a bull. It’s got to be bull-on-bull and not human-on-bull because you get bludgeoned.”

Mincey said the message wasn’t just meant for the Philadelphia game.

“The message has been similar, just be ourselves,” Mincey said. “Accept who you are. If you’re a hard-working guy that runs to the ball, don’t change your habits. Just stay yourself the whole time, stay the course and just be tough. It takes a tough person to do the same thing over and over and over and over.”

townsend

Banned
I thought he meant get out of the way of the big thing rushing at you, in which case Parnell's golden.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Brandon Carr is pretty good at going ole as a WR races past him.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
And I want Randle to run the ball like he stole it.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I could have sworn when did that gesture, he followed up with talking about "digging in". That's what I got out of it. Digging your heels in and fighting.

Top Bottom