Machota: Five takeaways from the Cowboys’ 2022 NFL Draft - Is Dallas better than it was last year?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By Jon Machota
Apr 30, 2022

In the previous two drafts the Cowboys have had with Mike McCarthy as head coach, Dallas came away with immediate impact starters in LB Micah Parsons and WR CeeDee Lamb. Both made the Pro Bowl last season. This year’s first-round pick seemed like more of a reach to fill a need. The same could be said about the Cowboys’ next four picks.

Dallas executive vice president Stephen Jones didn’t see it that way.

“Not at all,” he said. “You look at it and obviously there are positions there where it helps, but that was across the board. We didn’t get a quarterback. We didn’t get a running back. Those are positions of strength for us. Obviously we signed our three safeties back, so position of strength, but I wouldn’t necessarily say there were those positions that were doing that to us when we were picking other players. I think it was just sorting through when was the best time to get these players. If the best guy right off the bat is the (offensive) lineman, then take him. If it would have been the pass rusher, then take him.

“I think we did a really good job of working through our board. We just worked through it and made good decisions.”

The picks
Best pick: Jalen Tolbert. Wide receiver was a significant need and could have been addressed as early as the 24th pick. Tolbert was one of the best wide receivers on the board in the second round, yet the Cowboys were able to get him in the third. Cowboys starting WR Michael Gallup (knee) could miss the start of the season, so Tolbert has a chance to make an immediate impact. There’s a good chance that the trio of Lamb, Gallup and Tolbert is one that Dak Prescott will be throwing to for several seasons. All three have the versatility to play on the inside and outside, but the best fit will probably end up being Tolbert and Gallup on the outside with Lamb in the slot.

Biggest surprise: Tyler Smith. While Smith potentially fills an immediate need at left guard and long-term need at left tackle, there were talented defensive players still on the board at the time, like edge rushers Jermaine Johnson and George Karlaftis and linebacker Devin Lloyd. All three were selected within the next six picks. The Cowboys deserve the benefit of the doubt with first-round offensive linemen, considering the success they’ve had with Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin. But Tyler Smith doesn’t seem as ready to play on Sundays as the other three were when they were drafted. He has the size, tools, ability and work ethic to be a good left tackle and might be a solid starting left guard up until that point, but there’s more uncertainty with him than the team’s other recent first-round picks.

Biggest question mark: Tyler Smith. Maybe he ends up being the best offensive tackle in this draft class. Maybe he becomes a first-round bust. Maybe he’s something in the middle. The Cowboys obviously feel very confident about their ability to get him ready to help improve their disappointing offensive line from a year ago. Smith is aware of those who may question the pick or are critical of his play in college. He seems to have the right attitude and work ethic to prove the Cowboys were right.
“I truly want to be the greatest at what I do,” Smith said. “I put everything I have into what I do. … I know there’s more to do, I know there’s more in me. We’re just scratching the surface.”

Remaining needs: The Cowboys did a good job of filling their needs. Kicker is the only glaring one left and they will likely address that by bringing in multiple undrafted players and perhaps some veterans to compete for the job. “I would’ve used a pick on a kicker if I hadn’t wanted to use it on something I thought was better than a kicker,” Jerry Jones said. “I went into this thing thinking we might use a pick on a kicker, but we had a better choice.”

They could also probably use another safety to go along with Jayron Kearse, Malik Hooker, Donovan Wilson and Israel Mukuamu. Center is an interesting spot because many thought the Cowboys would draft one as early as the second round to provide competition for Tyler Biadasz. They made it clear Saturday that the plan is to have Matt Farniok, a seventh-round pick last year, as a backup there. Adding another player in undrafted free agency is also a good bet.

Post-draft outlook: The loss of DE Randy Gregory has been addressed by re-signing Dorance Armstrong, signing Dante Fowler and drafting Williams. Trading WR Amari Cooper led to the drafting of Tolbert. Using the 24th pick on Smith is their biggest answer to the departures of offensive linemen La’el Collins and Connor Williams. The holes have been filled. That doesn’t mean the team is better than it was last year. And the rest of the NFC East looks to have improved their rosters this offseason. The Cowboys should still be the favorites to win the division, but the gap is closing.

Jerry Jones said he believes Dallas improved over the last three days “as much as we improved the team last year after the draft. I’m not exaggerating. You say, ‘My God, you had Micah leading the way there,’ I think we’ve got that kind of improvement from when we started the draft to sitting right here, that’s my opinion.”

“We drafted nine players,” McCarthy added, “so we got a lot better here the last few days.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We're more or less in the same spot we were last year except weaker at WR, but probably further along defensively just because they've had a year under Quinn and there are so many young guys on that side of the ball who will be more experienced.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I don't think there's any question we are weaker than we were last year.

Offensive line is weaker.
WR is weaker.
DE is weaker.

I agree that the time under Quinn will help the defense, as should the normal progression/NFL strength development for Parsons and the other defensive picks from last year's draft, and that's not insignificant. All of which is good, because team 40-burger ain't walking out that door.

Puttyism

♡☆
Tyler Smith led the NCAA in penalties last year. He had 16 penalties in 2021. 12 of them were holding calls. So if you don't like Conner Williams. Meet Tyler Smith! :lol

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

WR is weaker.
DE is weaker.

I agree that the time under Quinn will help the defense, as should the normal progression/NFL strength development for Parsons and the other defensive picks from last year's draft, and that's not insignificant. All of which is good, because team 40-burger ain't walking out that door.

Agreed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

WR is weaker.
DE is weaker.

I think we could be better on the Oline. I think Tyler Smith is going to be a significant upgrade to Connor Williams who was so bad he got benched mid-season.

I agree about WR and DE. Although if Williams is what I think he is, this also may be just as good as last year. WR we are just worse. No way around it. You can't dump Cooper and expect to get better there. But once Gallup recovers we could still be good at WR. It's just that Gallup, Cooper and Lamb was an elite receiver Corp.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
Tyler Smith led the NCAA in penalties last year. He had 16 penalties in 2021. 12 of them were holding calls. So if you don't like Conner Williams. Meet Tyler Smith! :lol
I imagine playing left tackle is slightly harder to play than guard. Being on an island and all.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
NoDak's gonna "dur" you so hard

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

WR is weaker.
DE is weaker.

OL: Can't say for sure is going to be weaker, though maybe not as much proven depth. Smith is such a wildcard. If he brings 1st round pedigree to OG, he will likely improve the whole position group. Steele is in a contract year, so you know he is going to be seriously motivated. Folks like McGovern, Ball, and Farniok are going to compete.

DE: Gregory was not all that consistent... basically Mr. October. If Williams is a player we can count on to show up we may already break even there. The combination of Fowler and Williams will probably be better. With Parsons and Lawrence both playing, it's not outrageous for Williams to meet Gregory's sack total from last year. Where DE might be weaker is in Lawrence aging. I'm hoping we get one last fully healthy season from Lawrence.

WR: By end of year it will be well on it's way to catching up to where we started 2021, but it will be behind. Fortunately we had some talent to give.

Where we stand to improve most would be at

1) QB - Dak being fully healthy.
2) Moore - Knowing this is his last shot to prove he knows what he's doing vs elite competition
3) Defense - I also look for a cumulative net improvement in a bunch of second and third year players under Quinn that played a lot of snaps in 2021 in Diggs, Parsons, Diggy, Gallimore, Joseph, Cox, Golston, Bohanna, Mukuamu, and even Wright. Possibly even Hill, though I am seriously doubting it.
4) McCarthy's last shot before we dump him and roll out the red carpet for Payton.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
OL: Can't say for sure is going to be weaker, though maybe not as much proven depth. Smith is such a wildcard. If he brings 1st round pedigree to OG, he will likely improve the whole position group. Steele is in a contract year, so you know he is going to be seriously motivated. Folks like McGovern, Ball, and Farniok are going to compete.

DE: Gregory was not all that consistent... basically Mr. October. If Williams is a player we can count on to show up we may already break even there. The combination of Fowler and Williams will probably be better. With Parsons and Lawrence both playing, it's not outrageous for Williams to meet Gregory's sack total from last year. Where DE might be weaker is in Lawrence aging. I'm hoping we get one last fully healthy season from Lawrence.

WR: By end of year it will be well on it's way to catching up to where we started 2021, but it will be behind. Fortunately we had some talent to give.

Where we stand to improve most would be at

1) QB - Dak being fully healthy.
2) Moore - Knowing this is his last shot to prove he knows what he's doing vs elite competition
3) Defense - I also look for a cumulative net improvement in a bunch of second and third year players under Quinn that played a lot of snaps in 2021 in Diggs, Parsons, Diggy, Gallimore, Joseph, Cox, Golston, Bohanna, Mukuamu, and even Wright. Possibly even Hill, though I am seriously doubting it.
4) McCarthy's last shot before we dump him and roll out the red carpet for Payton.
I agree with all of this except I don't think there's any chance we're better at WR unless Lamb or Tolbert far exceed expectations.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with all of this except I don't think there's any chance we're better at WR unless Lamb or Tolbert far exceed expectations.
Yeah I really like Tolbert but being as good as Cooper is a tall order for any rookie. Much less a third round rookie. And Gallup is coming off a torn ACL, we all hope and pray he will be as explosive but sometimes there is an adjustment period after a guy is healthy enough to play. The good news is if Tolbert works out we should have all 3 receivers for a long time.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
is there anyone you'd sign?
Nah we just have to roll with what we got and deal with Tolbert's learning curve and hope Gallup gets back to 100%.

If Gallup is full speed by week 4 or so we'll be fine.

• Angry
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
Nah we just have to roll with what we got and deal with Tolbert's learning curve and hope Gallup gets back to 100%.

If Gallup is full speed by week 4 or so we'll be fine.
the games without him might look pretty bad. Maybe Washington can step up while Tolbert adjusts. Receiving corps looks thin.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
We are a lot weaker. We lost both Cooper and Wilson and Gallup is still hurt. With us playing a harder schedule you could argue Philly is the favorite.

Top Bottom