Machota: Cowboys WR Michael Gallup breaks down why he would ‘love’ to stay in Dallas

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

By Jon Machota Jun 7, 2021

Michael Gallup is entering the biggest season of his football career. The Cowboys wide receiver is in the final year of his rookie contract. If he continues to build on his production from the previous two seasons, a significant payday is expected.

But it’s not guaranteed to come from Dallas. The Cowboys would like to keep him, but they have recently spent big on several key offensive starters, including quarterback Dak Prescott, running back Ezekiel Elliott and wide receiver Amari Cooper. They will also likely be doing everything in their power to keep last year’s first-round pick, wide receiver CeeDee Lamb, when his rookie deal is up.

“I would love to stay here,” Gallup told The Athletic. “I hope I get to stay here. But I can’t control that. All I can control is what I can do on the field. It’s just go out there and make plays.”

What are his biggest reasons for wanting to stay in Dallas?

“I got my boys here in Dallas,” Gallup responded. “I’ve been here in Dallas. I know the ropes down here in Dallas. Dallas is a great area to be. The fans are great. The owners are great. The team is great. The coaches are great. I would love to stay down here.”

The combination of Gallup, Cooper and Lamb should give the Cowboys one of the NFL’s best wide receiver trios for the second consecutive season. They went into last year with the goal of each recording more than 1,000 receiving yards. Despite Prescott being lost for the season after suffering a gruesome ankle injury in Week 5, and Dallas forced to start three quarterbacks in his place, Gallup, Cooper and Lamb combined for 2,892 receiving yards and 15 touchdowns.

Cooper finished with 1,114, Lamb totaled 935 and Gallup ended up with 843. Gallup says the goal remains the same this season.

“That’s what we expect,” he added. “That’s what Coop told everybody that we were going to do (last year), so we need to go out there and do it.”

The 2008 Arizona Cardinals were the last NFL team to have three 1,000-yard receivers. Larry Fitzgerald (1,431), Anquan Boldin (1,038) and Steve Breaston (1,006) helped lead Arizona to the Super Bowl that season.

Prescott has to be healthy for the Cowboys to come anywhere near that success. Judging by his work at organized team activities the last two weeks, he appears to be ahead of schedule in his return. He has said on multiple occasions that he could play in a game today, if needed.

“He’s in there leading the squad,” Gallup said. “He’s back to his old self. He’s out here throwing the rock. He’s out here running it. He’s doing exactly what he’s supposed to do, and we all knew he was going to do it. No shortages on his end.

“We all know that he was built to do this. He was built to lead and he came back stronger than ever. We’re ready to go.”

Gallup and Prescott were recently joined by rookie cornerback Kelvin Joseph to help the nonprofit organization OurCalling, which works to cure homelessness. With the help of Prescott’s Faith, Fight, Finish Foundation, the three Cowboys presented a woman, who graduated from the program, with a brand new SUV.

“Honestly, just making someone else’s day definitely puts a smile on your face,” Gallup said. “I know she had a big smile up under her mask and we all had smiles too.”

Gallup, who was adopted at 10 months old, grew up in a house with seven brothers and sisters, five of whom were also adopted. Since being drafted by the Cowboys in the third round in 2018, Gallup has been an ambassador for the Special Olympics of Texas, worked with the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and helped serve his mother’s charity in Africa, Action International. He says his most memorable moment working in the community came two years ago when he met with a Special Olympics group that didn’t have uniforms or footwear to compete. They also didn’t have a bus to get to the event. Gallup gifted the team uniforms and shoes through Adidas and provided them with a bus.

“When I got drafted, I thought to myself, I can really do something with this,” Gallup said. “I think it’s good just to know that there are people looking out for you even if you don’t know that they’re looking out for you. I was always raised that way. I think that goes hand in hand with how my mom and my oldest sister treat people. I always loved it. I like seeing a smile on someone else’s face.”

If everything goes to plan for Gallup, he’ll record the second 1,000-yard season of his career, the Cowboys will get back to the playoffs, he’ll get re-signed, and continue making an impact off the field.

“Honestly, I want to do all I can to get in the end zone, catch every pass that No. 4 throws to me, and help this club win ballgames,” Gallup said. “I just want to go out there and have a good time and play ball. And I know we can do it this year.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
When Gallup walks out the door, remember they paid Terrance Williams.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It will really suck to lose Gallup for salary reasons when we are grossly over-paying Zeke and Jaylon Smith

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It will really suck to lose Gallup for salary reasons when we are grossly over-paying Zeke and Jaylon Smith

When we cut Jaylon hopefully we can use his money for Gallup. They could certainly push Gallup's money a little into the future and make it work if they want to.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Honestly Zeke should rework his deal and spread out his guaranteed cash further into the future.

Covid flukes aside, the cap keeps steadily increasing under the current 10 year 131 billion dollar deal they have with broadcasters/streamers. Amazon coming in with a billion of that per year doesn't hurt.

These companies are getting their streaming services off the ground (Paramount+, Tubi, Prime, Peacock, Disney+/ESPN+) and need the NFL to help.

When the DirecTv or equivalent deal comes up for rebid in 2022, it's going to make what those above streamers are set to pay and the current 1.5 billion AT&T/DirecTv currently pay look average by comparison.

I expect it to be 3 billion a year... I can imagine Disney, Amazon, and Warner Bros/Discovery bidding on it which is a net new 1.5 billion per year for the NFL. Maybe 25-30 million in extra cap space alone from that deal.

So mortgage the future and keep Gallup

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
When Gallup walks out the door, remember they paid Terrance Williams.
Not really the same, considering we didn't have a lot of big contracts then. And certainly not the huge quarterback contract. But... whatever, I guess.

Also, I don't think it would be all that surprising to see him come back. Jerry loves to pay his draft picks. And in this case, his production and talent warrants it.

Genghis Khan

Williams didn't have a big contract if I remember correctly. I think they'd probably give Gallup Williams' contract in a heartbeat.

Just looked it up. Williams was 4 years 17 million with a 5 million signing bonus. Probably triple the money for Gallup. I think I'd still do it.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Not really the same, considering we didn't have a lot of big contracts then. And certainly not the huge quarterback contract. But... whatever, I guess.

Also, I don't think it would be all that surprising to see him come back. Jerry loves to pay his draft picks. And in this case, his production and talent warrants it.
I bitch and moan a lot about Jerry, but if he keeps Gallup I might put my VooDoo doll up I have of him.

Gallup is really one of my favorite players on the team.

Genghis Khan

Maybe if Gallup really wants to stay he might take a discount. We all kind of thought Lael Collins was gone but then he signed a team friendly deal and here we are.

My big issue is hopefully keeping Gallup doesn't mean we move on from Cooper. That would be dumb.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
When we cut Jaylon hopefully we can use his money for Gallup. They could certainly push Gallup's money a little into the future and make it work if they want to.
They can definitely make it work if they let Jaylon go, not to mention someone like Jarwin or Anthony Brown.

While we all love to be fatalist about Jaylon and his ridiculous standing on the team, the fact of the matter is our most expensive FA was a LB and our top 15 pick 1st rounder was a LB, they also spent time flirting with KJ Wright seemingly.

There's no doubt that at the very least the coaches realize the LB play is an issue and with a guy like Gallup up for FA next year who is clearly better than Jaylon, combined with the recent investments at LB, combined with the fact that we actually save a relatively large chunk by cutting Jaylon, I think there is a very good chance he's gone next year unless he somehow puts up a legitimate Pro Bowl/All Pro type year.

Genghis Khan

They can definitely make it work if they let Jaylon go, not to mention someone like Jarwin or Anthony Brown.

While we all love to be fatalist about Jaylon and his ridiculous standing on the team, the fact of the matter is our most expensive FA was a LB and our top 15 pick 1st rounder was a LB, they also spent time flirting with KJ Wright seemingly.

There's no doubt that at the very least the coaches realize the LB play is an issue and with a guy like Gallup up for FA next year who is clearly better than Jaylon, combined with the recent investments at LB, combined with the fact that we actually save a relatively large chunk by cutting Jaylon, I think there is a very good chance he's gone next year unless he somehow puts up a legitimate Pro Bowl/All Pro type year.

I agree, but I doubt they put that money into Gallup unless he winds up cheaper than we anticipate.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree, but I doubt they put that money into Gallup unless he winds up cheaper than we anticipate.
Don't underestimate how much this organization loves to pay their homegrown "stars".

If he has a huge 2021 I don't see them letting him go, if he only puts up like 800/5 I could see his market being depressed enough to where they'd bring him back.

Either way I'd bet on him being back.

Top Bottom