Machota: Cowboys set fourth-quarter scoring record, prepare to host Odell Beckham Jr.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dec 4, 2022; Arlington, Texas, USA;  Dallas Cowboys safety Malik Hooker (28) recovers a fumble and runs it back for a touchdown  during the fourth quarter against the Indianapolis Colts at AT&T Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

By Jon Machota
4h ago

ARLINGTON, Texas — Late in the third quarter Sunday night, it looked like the Cowboys were going to have a close fight on their hands against an Indianapolis Colts team that was a double-digit underdog.

And then the fourth quarter happened.

Dallas rattled off a franchise-record 33 points in the final 14 minutes, en route to a 54-19 victory at AT&T Stadium.

“I really couldn’t even explain what happened,” Colts wide receiver Parris Campbell said. “One second, it was 21-19. The next, it was 50-whatever-19. It was a blur. It was a blur.”

The Cowboys’ 33 points in the final quarter are the second-most fourth-quarter points by a team since the NFL merger. Their 54 total points are the most scored by any team this season. Dallas has three 50-point games since the start of the 2021 season, as many as the rest of the NFL combined.

“I was sure gnawing fingernails as we got into the end of that third quarter,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said. “But it shows you what some turnovers and big plays can do for you.”

Dak Prescott’s third touchdown pass of the night and second to Michael Gallup gave the Cowboys a 28-19 lead with 13:52 to play. On Indianapolis’ first offensive play that followed, former Colts first-round pick and current Cowboys safety Malik Hooker returned a fumble caused by rookie LB Damone Clark 38 yards for a touchdown. The Colts’ next two possessions ended in interceptions by Dallas rookie cornerback DaRon Bland. Rookie defensive end Sam Williams also added a fumble recovery off a sack by DT Osa Odighizuwa with 3:54 remaining.

The Cowboys’ next three possessions ended with rushing touchdowns from Tony Pollard, Ezekiel Elliott and Malik Davis.

Two notable areas that have been issues for the Cowboys at times the last two seasons were certainly not Sunday night. Dallas held Colts All-Pro running back Jonathan Taylor, the NFL’s leading rusher last season, to only 82 rushing yards on 21 carries. The Cowboys also committed a season-low three penalties.

With Dallas only one win away from reaching back-to-back double-digit win seasons for the first time since 1996, Jones was asked after the game what has been the key to that continued success.

“Mike McCarthy,” Jones said. “I think Mike is really doing an outstanding job. I think he’s held steady when the ship was wavering. The players know he’s steady. I think his style as a coach, and I think the way that our assistant coaches, our coordinators especially, are really working with these players. But I think we’ve got a really good team. We do have a good team. As you saw out there tonight, the first two quarters this good team can get stopped or we can have, we really can take a stutter step and I think we did that. But we always hear that a good team can come on back from that and play better. We saw a little of that tonight.

“I think the journey here is very important, and I wouldn’t rule us out as far as what we might be able to do in our division. That’s not over yet.”

If the playoffs started today, the Cowboys (9-3) would be the fifth seed, traveling to face the fourth-seed Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-6), who are in first place in the NFC South. Dallas is two games behind the Philadelphia Eagles for first place in the NFC East, and the best record in the NFL. The two meet on Christmas Eve at AT&T Stadium, but the Cowboys need some help.

Jones revealed some bad news and good news after the game in regard to injuries. Veteran CB Anthony Brown suffered an Achilles injury Sunday night that will likely end his season. There are unlikely to be any notable additions at the position to make up for the loss of Brown. Kelvin Joseph, last year’s second-round pick, is expected to take over that starting outside CB spot opposite Trevon Diggs.

“It’s not too big for him,” Jones said of Joseph. “I think he can step up and build on what he’s done. And let’s make no bones about it, Joseph has had issues. I’m just saying that I think he can get this job done. I think he can step in here and be a player for us.”

Veteran LT Tyron Smith is expected to return to practice this week. The Cowboys worked some different combinations Sunday night with Tyler Smith getting some work at left guard and Jason Peters getting some work at left tackle in preparation for Tyron Smith’s return.

Jones also shared that Elliott didn’t start for the first time in his career because of a disciplinary reason.

“That had more to do with your phone going off at the wrong time (in a meeting), those types of things,” Jones said. “Nothing of consequence. No behavior issues.”
Jones fielded several questions about the Cowboys’ scheduled visit with free agent WR Odell Beckham Jr. on Monday. Beckham visited the New York Giants on Friday and the Buffalo Bills over the weekend. His visit with the Cowboys is expected to last two days, with him also meeting with Prescott and the team’s leadership group on Tuesday.

The Cowboys were hoping to work out Beckham during his visit to gauge how his surgically-repaired left knee has recovered, but he has reportedly not worked out for other teams. How much would that impact the Cowboys’ interest in signing him? After all, Jones has been adamant that they need him to contribute this season.

“We want to certainly see something that gives us every opportunity to have a big year this year with him,” Jones said of Beckham’s health. “In a business that has a lot of psychology to it, I think that’s the case. I don’t think (signing him is) necessary for us to have success with this team and in the playoffs, but it would be a positive. I want this to work. I want it to work. But that means I’m going to be trying to make it work. So I’m going to be looking for reasons to do, not reasons not to do.”

Odell Beckham Jr. was courtside in May when the Suns and Mavericks played in the playoffs. He’s visiting Dallas today and will go to the Suns-Mavericks game Monday night. (Mark J. Rebilas / USA Today)

Cowboys No. 1 WR CeeDee Lamb, who finished with five receptions for 71 yards and a touchdown Sunday night, was asked after the game why Beckham should sign with the Cowboys.

“Look at us,” he responded. “Understanding you’re gonna put yourself in this offense. … I’m sure as hell he would love it. I’m sure.”

Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer reported Sunday morning that part of Beckham’s visit would include him going to the Dallas Mavericks vs. Phoenix Suns game Monday night at the American Airlines Center. Prescott said he would enjoy attending with Beckham, but would prefer to sit in a suite rather than courtside, as Beckham would likely prefer.

“We’re trying to be as great as we can be in every aspect,” Prescott said when asked about potentially adding Beckham. “And obviously getting late into the year with what we’ve got coming up just in our schedule, then obviously making a run at the Super Bowl, you want to make sure you have as many weapons as you can. You want to make sure we’re fully loaded in every direction and just planning for the future. So, it’s not only about this year. It’s about in the future, but right now, yeah, I mean this team is resilient. That’s been our mantra. That’s been our motto. We’re not satisfied by scoring 50.

“We’ll continue to work. We’ll continue to try to get better. That’s the type of men that we have on all sides of the ball. And we’re hungry.”

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
If OBJ can’t contribute at 100% by playoff time then there’s zero reason to sign him.
I also find it a bit troubling that he is refusing to workout for anyone but yet wants a multi-year contract.
Sorry, no way would I do that.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If OBJ can’t contribute at 100% by playoff time then there’s zero reason to sign him.
I also find it a bit troubling that he is refusing to workout for anyone but yet wants a multi-year contract.
Sorry, no way would I do that.
Same. I'm no fan of his, but I would be fine with giving him a shot over the offseason when you could see him work out, run routes, etc.

And it seems to me that would be more in his interest too. Wouldn't you get more money in a multiyear deal after you were able to show everyone that you're completely healthy? You would be farther away from your injury and you could do any kind of workout to prove to teams you were all the way back.

Unless you're not that healthy. Then you and your agent might want to try to leverage teams' short term desire to upgrade going into the playoffs into a bigger deal than you might get otherwise.

The whole timing just seems off. That's why I'm suspicious of this whole thing.

Top Bottom