Machota: Cowboys rookie Micah Parsons showing why his former coach thinks he has just ‘scratched the surface’

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

By Jon Machota Jun 9, 2021

FRISCO, Texas — Tuesday was an impressive day for Micah Parsons. The rookie linebacker was the Cowboys’ biggest defensive standout during the first of three consecutive days of minicamp practices at The Star.

He got things started in 7-on-7 work by knocking away a pass intended for rookie running back JaQuan Hardy. Parsons then turned in the play of the day when he blew past veteran offensive tackle Ty Nsekhe in team drills. Parsons was rushing off the right edge on the play. He got off the ball so quickly that Nsekhe fell after appearing to tweak something in his leg. He limped off to the side and met with an athletic trainer before eventually returning.

The play would’ve resulted in a sack if it was an actual game. The scary part for opposing offenses is that the first-round pick said it wasn’t his best pass rush this offseason.

“We sent the house,” Parsons said while describing the play. “I was able to come free, use my speed to come off the edge and do what I do best. I would say it’s just another play and another down.”

While watching pass rush film last week, Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence said to Parsons, “You pass rush like that, rook?”

Parsons responded: “Yeah, I used to be a defensive end.”

The two have been working on pass rush moves since and have plans to work together after minicamp and before the start of training camp next month.
What does Parsons like most about rushing the passer?

“Just creating havoc,” he said, “creating disruption, being able to create that excitement, momentum change, a chance to get the ball out and get it back to our explosive offense.”

Parsons is getting a crash course in playing several different positions, a process he said has been “pretty hectic.” He started out at middle linebacker during rookie minicamp and has since seen action at all three linebacker spots in Dan Quinn’s defensive scheme. Since organized team activities began, Parsons has been stepping up to play the run, dropping into coverage and rushing the passer.

Some could argue that the Cowboys might be putting too much on the rookie’s plate. Former Clemson star Isaiah Simmons was the first linebacker selected in last year’s draft. He was viewed as a safety-linebacker hybrid who could be an immediate impact player in several areas. The Arizona Cardinals ended up playing him at all three linebacker spots, both safety positions and at nickel corner. While he had a solid rookie season, he wasn’t the immediate impact player that many were expecting.
Perhaps he was asked to do a little too much, too soon.

“I think, one, it starts with communication,” Quinn said of the plan for Parsons. “Making sure we don’t put our toe into that water where it’s too much. I think going through the installs and making sure there is a clear vision of not only what to do, but how to play it.

“For Micah, and the other players, we’re trying to find out what they do best. Once we know that, we can continue to give them those kinds of calls over and over again. The good news for him is the pass-rushing part, he has really picked up where he left off. He really has good speed off the edge, so that part of the game is intact. Now, we’re working a lot of behind-the-ball things, man-to-man, playing zone, blitzing from off the ball. Those kinds of things that we can feature him in that he does best.”

Parsons was one of the top edge rushers in the country coming out of high school. At Penn State, he was moved to weakside linebacker. He led the Nittany Lions in tackles as a freshman with 83 before becoming an All-American as a sophomore. He opted out of his junior season to prepare for the NFL Draft.

Penn State defensive coordinator Brent Pry told The Athletic that he felt Parsons could’ve been an elite defensive end in college, but they needed him at linebacker.
“He’s a smart kid,” Pry said. “Football comes pretty easy to him. He was never a guy that let what he didn’t know slow him down. He made a habit of running by people, whether he was wrong or right.”

Pry added that Parsons was still recognizing formations and handling adjustments as he made a significant jump from his freshman to sophomore season. Pry was expecting similar improvements from Parsons’ sophomore to junior season.

“There’s part of me that thought about having him play middle linebacker and call the defense for us in Year 3,” Pry said. “He was just making those kinds of strides. I don’t know how complicated Coach Quinn is going to be, but I think Micah will pick things up pretty quick. I think his ceiling is really, really high. And even though he had a hell of a productive career here, there’s a bunch more of Micah Parsons left for people to see, I believe.”

When NFL teams talked to Pry in the pre-draft process, they asked if Parsons could put his hands on an offensive lineman and beat a block. It’s not something that was on his college tape because he never had the opportunity.

“He’s got these elite qualities as an edge guy,” Pry said, “but yet he can play three yards off the line of scrimmage at linebacker and sort through run fits and he’s very, very tough to block from the second level. Linemen can’t climb and get him. He can dip and slip at 6-3, 245 pounds like a corner or a safety and make people miss. He’s a rare combination.”

The only thing that didn’t go well for Parsons on Tuesday was the game of chess he played against Amari Cooper. The veteran wide receiver is known around the locker room for his elite chess skills.

The two were playing when Parsons was pulled away to speak with reporters. A little later in the day, Cooper revealed the outcome in a series of videos he posted to his Instagram story.

Pry mentioned chess, checkers and bowling while describing how Parsons is extremely competitive in everything he does, calling him “by far the most competitive player I’ve ever coached.”

“He has just kind of scratched the surface,” Pry said. “He’s a worker and he wants to be great.”

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We desperately need a playmaker on defense, a guy who can be consistently disruptive. Hopefully Parsons is that guy, he has the potential.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We desperately need a playmaker on defense, a guy who can be consistently disruptive. Hopefully Parsons is that guy, he has the potential.
The whole reason we took him where we did, really. At the top of the draft you need difference makers irrespective of position.

I am still buzzing from how this guy fell to us because the two prior teams over-indexed on position over talent. Nothing against Horn and Surtain, but Parsons is a game changer regardless that he's just an 'off ball' LB.

Last edited:

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Furboy

Whoa An Active DCCer
Looking forward to what he does this season. We just need him to help this D be average this season. The O can take care of the rest.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Looking forward to what he does this season. We just need him to help this D be average this season. The O can take care of the rest.

im fine with this, he doesnt need to be a super star, or over think it. I personally dont feel Dallas is doing anything this season, so lets just hope they get some core guys to "get it" in a year or two.

Furboy

Whoa An Active DCCer
im fine with this, he doesnt need to be a super star, or over think it. I personally dont feel Dallas is doing anything this season, so lets just hope they get some core guys to "get it" in a year or two.
I think we might surprise people. I think we can at least win this division. We just need our defence to be average. We've got one of the best offenses in the NFL. As you said, we don't need him to be a superstar, at least not right out the gate. We just need him to play at least solidly. Stop the run more effectively than we have done (shouldn't be hard, especially with run stopping being his strength), and maybe get a few interceptions when they come his way. I think he can do that.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
I think we might surprise people. I think we can at least win this division. We just need our defence to be average. We've got one of the best offenses in the NFL. As you said, we don't need him to be a superstar, at least not right out the gate. We just need him to play at least solidly. Stop the run more effectively than we have done (shouldn't be hard, especially with run stopping being his strength), and maybe get a few interceptions when they come his way. I think he can do that.

im not against this, and i should make a disclaimer, i am a jaded Fan by now. the decades have left me burnt over the stupid stuff the team keeps doing.

and i agree i think he can do that too,

my expectations for the season are as this "Show me" im done with the talking. Dallas wants to show everyone they are serious, go out there and win win win.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am not falling for your somewhat convincing homeristic argument.

Furboy

Whoa An Active DCCer
im not against this, and i should make a disclaimer, i am a jaded Fan by now. the decades have left me burnt over the stupid stuff the team keeps doing.

and i agree i think he can do that too,

my expectations for the season are as this "Show me" im done with the talking. Dallas wants to show everyone they are serious, go out there and win win win.
I feel that. As someone who was born in 92, I fully get that. But I am just optimistic by nature.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We don't even need the defense to be good or even average per se, they just need to come up with about 5-7 impactful plays a game (turnovers, sacks, a 4th down stop here and there) and with a healthy offense we should be able to put up 10 or 11 wins easily.

While Parsons may not be the most refined LB as a rookie I think he can make catalytic plays like that with his rare speed/size for the position and knack for getting to the QB.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
We don't even need the defense to be good or even average per se, they just need to come up with about 5-7 impactful plays a game (turnovers, sacks, a 4th down stop here and there) and with a healthy offense we should be able to put up 10 or 11 wins easily.

While Parsons may not be the most refined LB as a rookie I think he can make catalytic plays like that with his rare speed/size for the position and knack for getting to the QB.

it all has to line up, the DL has to get at the QB, the LBs have to do their jobs and the CBs have to make some kind of a play or at least buy time. if none of that happens, than we wont even get average or impactful plays that can turn the field for us. Dallas is a team that needs everything to line up to win.

Top Bottom