Machota: Cowboys offseason wrap-up - Top highlights and observations from minicamp week

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yet two of the three...even Charlton are going to play on Sundays this year.

But neither one of them were fits. Neither one could do what we asked of them at the moment.

The moment. Or short-shit era or whatever.

Taco might be on a roster this season but he's terrible and always was.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Taco might be on a roster this season but he's terrible and always was.
Yet he still has a job. You can look around the NFL draft landscape and see that many failed.

I guess if you want to be a positive dork, yeah....we are pretty good at identifying NFL talent.

It has been since what, the Lacewell era, where we had high picks that showed they just couldn't play?

We draft guys that don't fit. We draft guys without a role in mind. I think we might have that with Quinn, but I am not so sure.

That is the frustrating part about things in the last decade. It is not like we have been drafting just bums and can just point at that.

We have been drafting bums that were poor fits within that critical rookie contract phase and we all know that is pretty much the average shelf life of a coordinator. And when they are old or dipshits, it makes it worse.

You can't empower the coordinator, especially on defense. There is a balance there where the GM should be able to step in and provide a counterbalance.

We don't have that. That alone is the root cause.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yet he still has a job. You can look around the NFL draft landscape and see that many failed.

I guess if you want to be a positive dork, yeah....we are pretty good at identifying NFL talent.

It has been since what, the Lacewell era, where we had high picks that showed they just couldn't play?

We draft guys that don't fit. We draft guys without a role in mind. I think we might have that with Quinn, but I am not so sure.

That is the frustrating part about things in the last decade. It is not like we have been drafting just bums and can just point at that.

We have been drafting bums that were poor fits within that critical rookie contract phase and we all know that is pretty much the average shelf life of a coordinator. And when they are old or dipshits, it makes it worse.

You can't empower the coordinator, especially on defense. There is a balance there where the GM should be able to step in and provide a counterbalance.

We don't have that. That alone is the root cause.

I agree that we've mostly drafted well, even on defense.

And I agree coaching should take a lot of the blame for not being able to make it work.

(It should be pointed out though that regardless of whether individual draft picks could play or not, the overall roster construction has been lacking. The bigger issue isn't whether we're drafting NFL caliber talent, but rather whether we're largely ignoring vital positions like NT, S and even pass rusher.)

But Taco specifically is not a good example. That was a big miss.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

And I agree coaching should take a lot of the blame for not being able to make it work.

(It should be pointed out though that regardless of whether individual draft picks could play or not, the overall roster construction has been lacking. The bigger issue isn't whether we're drafting NFL caliber talent, but rather whether we're largely ignoring vital positions like NT, S and even pass rusher.)

I hated the Charlton pick like everybody else. But frankly that was because of our fucked up way of drafting. Watt required thought and effort. Charlton fit some stereotype. We are lazy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

They largely ignore certain positions because they have a fucked up concept of what a defense is supposed to look like. All they remember from the 90's is Haley and Deion, and then Ware in the next generation, so they spend years chasing the next great edge rusher or shutdown CB and leave positions like NT until day 3, or completely ignore a position like safety all together.

Because they have no foundational understanding for how to build a defense they're left to the whims of whoever is at DC. I'm not saying Jerry needs to dictate the defensive scheme but all GM's/front offices/scouting departments need to have foundational principles on how football teams should be built.

We don't have the defensively beyond whoever our DC is and trying to find the next Haley/Ware/Deion.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I hated the Charlton pick like everybody else. But frankly that was because of our fucked up way of drafting. Watt required thought and effort. Charlton fit some stereotype. We are lazy.
Yea, you could've easily started Watt out in an Anthony Barr-type role and slowly transitioned him into being a full-time 4-3 DE. Because he wasn't a cookie cutter fit they went with Charlton.

As McClay put it, you don't draft a SLB in the 1st, which shows the lack of creative thought at the time.

Furboy

Whoa An Active DCCer
Hell, Garrett took us to 4-85 or whatever when Romo got hurt, and the rest of the team was basically healthy. You think Garrett could have gotten us to 8 wins last year with the literal shit we had healthy on the team? Uhh, no.
We'd have been lucky to go 1-15

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
They can’t fathom how a guy can play in the middle of the line a foot off the ball, be a target for every guard, center, or fullback, and only be tasked to hold his ground.

It’s incomprehensible to the Dallas front office.

To them, front seven defenders are smallish, quick, require less than premium draft capital and must penetrate attacking in waves while the Cowboys offense possesses the ball to give the ‘rush men’ a breather.

It’s backwards thinking and exactly why this team will never win a thing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, you could've easily started Watt out in an Anthony Barr-type role and slowly transitioned him into being a full-time 4-3 DE. Because he wasn't a cookie cutter fit they went with Charlton.

As McClay put it, you don't draft a SLB in the 1st, which shows the lack of creative thought at the time.
And look, we are running 3-4 concepts now.

Furboy

Whoa An Active DCCer
Just took delivery of the commissioned pfp. I love it!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
My profile pic, I'm going to put it in my signature here as well, standby.
OIC, well, that isn't going to work. We don't need a massive picture every time you post. I know I said we don't moderate heavy, but...

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

Furboy

Whoa An Active DCCer
What does pfp mean?
pfp means profile picture, the image is in my signature as well. I've needed this commission for a while lol. It compliments my main fursona perfectly like an elite oline compliments a great RB perfectly.

Cotton

Staff member
pfp means profile picture, the image is in my signature as well. I've needed this commission for a while lol. It compliments my main fursona perfectly like an elite oline compliments a great RB perfectly.
Maybe just leave it as your profile pic and not as a sig?

Furboy

Whoa An Active DCCer
Maybe just leave it as your profile pic and not as a sig?
There we go, how about that? That's the trouble with new art and trying to feature it on forums like this. It takes a few attempts to get the size right.

Cotton

Staff member
There we go, how about that? That's the trouble with new art and trying to feature it on forums like this. It takes a few attempts to get the size right.
No worries. Just didn't want you smacking the board with a massive picture on every post.

Furboy

Whoa An Active DCCer
No worries. Just didn't want you smacking the board with a massive picture on every post.
I get that, and I don't want it to be huge either. I tried to resize it to 450, and then just sized it down to 175. Is that better? My buddy Rex from Telegram drew it.

Cotton

Staff member
I get that, and I don't want it to be huge either. I tried to resize it to 450, and then just sized it down to 175. Is that better? My buddy Rex from Telegram drew it.
It looks great as a pfp, just not as a sig pic.

Top Bottom