Machota/Brugler: Potential Cowboys first-round targets, sleepers - Draft expert Dane Brugler analyzes

Cujo

DCC 4Life
20 mil, probably not unreasonable. To me you have two elite defenders that you pay that kind of money for. Diggs and Parsons are ours right now. If you don't think Diggs or a corner is worth building around then you better get enough picks to get anothet cornerstone defender. You need some special defenders outside of Parsons.

On offense I'd view QB and WR1 in the same kind of light. Not saying Dak and Lamb are those guys, but that's where I put the big contracts.

I'm not overpaying for a cb who won't tackle and I'm damn sure not going to overpay because I'm afraid I can't find a replacement.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Diggs is the type that will want to be the highest paid defensive player of all time. And he won't tackle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not overpaying for a cb who won't tackle and I'm damn sure not going to overpay because I'm afraid I can't find a replacement.
20 mil is overpaying? I guess it depends what you think of the guy. Do you think he is a top 5-10 corner in the NFL? I do, otherwise I wouldn't consider him a cornerstone player. There were games last year where he absolutely shut down opposing teams receivers. If you don't think he is that type of corner because of his lack of physical tackling you can have that opinion. But then again, what kind of a trade are you going to get for him if he is just an average #1 CB who won't tackle but wants to be paid like a top corner.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
But then again, what kind of a trade are you going to get for him if he is just an average #1 CB who won't tackle but wants to be paid like a top corner.
A 5th.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Who gives a fuck about Diggs?
I do. People focus on his INT numbers this year way too much. He was terrible in coverage last year but got a lot of INTs. He also cost us a lot of TDs. This year his coverage improved immensely. If he can continue that he can split the field in half and greatly limit what a passing offense can do.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I do. People focus on his INT numbers this year way too much. He was terrible in coverage last year but got a lot of INTs. He also cost us a lot of TDs. This year his coverage improved immensely. If he can continue that he can split the field in half and greatly limit what a passing offense can do.
It's fucking ridiculous. I mean just go look what he did to Chase, Jefferson, Brown, Evans, and whomever he lined up against.

So trade that away so you can save money that they won't spend anyways?

Rev

Staff member
And no you won't replace that with back end of the draft rookies

• Props
Reactions: p1_

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
It's fucking ridiculous. I mean just go look what he did to Chase, Jefferson, Brown, Evans, and whomever he lined up against.

So trade that away so you can save money that they won't spend anyways?
Because the motherfucker doesn't like contact. He doesn't fucking tackle. Last time I checked, tackling was still part of the game. That dive he took against the SF TE was sickening.

And how come KC did it with McDuffie (#21), Cook, Round 2, pick No. 62, Cincinnati, Joshua Williams (Round 4, No. 135, Fayetteville State) and Jaylen Watson (Round 7, No. 243, Washington State)

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Yeah, sometimes I think people on here think it's better to get a fifth than to spend Jerry's money on a player. I don't get it.

I didn't say that. If we couldn't get good value, then obviously we have to pay him but I won't be happy about it because I think we'll regret it.

Rev

Staff member
Because the motherfucker doesn't like contact. He doesn't fucking tackle. Last time I checked, tackling was still part of the game. That dive he took against the SF TE was sickening.

And how come KC did it with McDuffie (#21), Cook, Round 2, pick No. 62, Cincinnati, Joshua Williams (Round 4, No. 135, Fayetteville State) and Jaylen Watson (Round 7, No. 243, Washington State)
Diggs is Round 2. Brown Round 6. Bland 5? Lewis 4 or 5? Do you need their colleges?

Did they do what Diggs is capable of doing? If so maybe the score wouldn't have been so close

He has warts. Misses a tackle every 4th game but go ask those wrs about playing against him.

Chocolate Lab

csn this hash tomo
Yeah, I've never had anything against Diggs whatsoever. Really good cover guy and playmaker. But those plays where he purposely avoided contact really bothered me. And not in the 4th quarter of a blowout, but in the biggest games of the year. I don't know how you ignore that. You aren't winning playoff games with 10 guys tackling.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Diggs is Round 2. Brown Round 6. Bland 5? Lewis 4 or 5? Do you need their colleges?

Did they do what Diggs is capable of doing? If so maybe the score wouldn't have been so close

He has warts. Misses a tackle every 4th game but go ask those wrs about playing against him.
Lewis was a third

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I've never had anything against Diggs whatsoever. Really good cover guy and playmaker. But those plays where he purposely avoided contact really bothered me. And not in the 4th quarter of a blowout, but in the biggest games of the year. I don't know how you ignore that. You aren't winning playoff games with 10 guys tackling.
I dont excuse it happening this past season, but it damned sure better change.

p1_

DCC 4Life

do you entirely negate the 12 interception season as a fluke? Who was the last Cowboy you saw pull off anything close to that ?

Cujo

DCC 4Life
How many more 20+mill/year contracts can we take on? Things are getting a bit difficult for our befuddled gm already. I would rather invest that money in the D line where it would make more of an impact.

Top Bottom