Machota - Austin: Haven't thought about my future with the Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Austin: Haven't thought about my future with the Cowboys

JON MACHOTA |

Published: Friday, December 13, 2013, 4:02pm

IRVING, Texas – Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Miles Austin has contributed very little to the team's offense in the last three games since he returned from a strained hamstring injury that caused him to miss five of seven games.

Austin, who said Friday he's 100 percent healthy, had one catch for 17 yards against the Giants in his first game back Nov. 24. The following week he had one catch for 18 yards on Thanksgiving against Oakland. On Monday night at Chicago, Austin had two catches for 19 yards.

"Obviously you've got to make plays with the opportunities you get, regardless of how many you get," Austin said. "I'm focusing in on that and taking one play at a time, trying my best just as I have been."

Austin, 29, has 19 receptions for 179 yards and no touchdowns this season.

Is it frustrating?

"Frustrating is not the right word," Austin said. "At the end of the day, I'm mad we lost last week. I'm frustrated with the loss in general, with my own play. The best I can do is go out there and try my best.

"It's not always going to be perfect. No one is ever going to grade out 100 percent. But the goal is to do your job every play you get and obviously I have done it sometimes and haven't done it other times. You obviously want to do it more than you don't do it."

Austin also said he doesn't consider this year to be a lost season and he hasn't thought about his future with the Cowboys.

"I live in the moment to be honest," Austin said. "I'm dealing with Friday. I've got to get a lift in in about 5-10 minutes. Take advantage of that lift and hopefully think about getting home after that."
-------------

I have Miles.

Beat it.

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
I like Miles but he's a pretty significant cap hit next year. If he doesn't renegotiate, we'll see him in a different uniform next year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I like Miles but he's a pretty significant cap hit next year. If he doesn't renegotiate, we'll see him in a different uniform next year.
I hope so. I'm ready for him to be gone. Not sure what that looks like cap-wise if we release him, but there is no damn way I restructure him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There is very little I like about the guy now. He's overpaid and has exploding hammys.

Time to move on from a bad deal that not only cost us the cap space, but the BS NFL-imposed penalty associated with it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I hope so. I'm ready for him to be gone. Not sure what that looks like cap-wise if we release him, but there is no damn way I restructure him.
Think we get 5.5mil in capspace if we make him a June 1st cut

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I wanted to cut him back when his legal but somehow still penalized deal didn't have any bonus or other dead money attached.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think we save 500K net by cutting him when the season ends. We save 5.5 mil and pay just over 5 mil in 2015 dead money if he's cut in June.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think we save 500K net by cutting him when the season ends. We save 5.5 mil and pay just over 5 mil in 2015 dead money if he's cut in June.
Still a no-brainer.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The real benefit of cutting him is that we can structure contracts to take advantage of the money we save off his contract in the future years. But yea, he's going on 30, can't stay on the field, hasn't been consistent when he actually is on it and we have a couple of promising young WR's, it's a no brainer.

Top Bottom