Machota: 10 things to watch for in the Dallas Cowboys’ preseason opener

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1][/h]

By Jon Machota 5h ago

OXNARD, Calif. — On Saturday night, for the first time in 217 days, the Dallas Cowboys will play a football game.

Yes, it’s only preseason. But after watching nothing but practices – most in helmets and shorts – throughout the offseason and training camp, it’s finally an opportunity to see some actual tackling.

Here’s what to watch for in the Cowboys’ preseason opener on Saturday night at San Francisco.

1.) Tony Pollard. Of Dallas’ rookie class, he’s the most likely to have a significant impact this season. Pollard has been as good as advertised during training camp, getting extended work with the first-team offense in Ezekiel Elliott’s absence. “I can just tell, from minicamp to OTAs to where I am now, I’ve just been playing a lot more free,” Pollard said. “(I’m) playing like myself and just playing up to speed, just being comfortable back there in the offense.”

What he does with the ball in his hands is important against the 49ers, but so is how he performs as a pass protector. He needs to show Dak Prescott he’ll be able to pick up that blitzing linebacker.

“He’s gotten hit by Jaylon (Smith) a few times, so he understands he has to go up there and fit it up,” running backs coach Gary Brown said. “But if he can block Jaylon, he can block anybody.”

2.) Backup QB. Dak Prescott isn’t expected to play much. Cooper Rush, who was on the field for a little over 50 percent of the snaps in last year’s first preseason game, and Mike White will be getting the bulk of the work. If the roster had to be trimmed today, Rush would likely be Prescott’s backup. But White could make a strong push with a good preseason.

“I think God gifted me with a pretty good arm,” White said, “and I want to show it off and spread the ball around and make good decisions and operate the offense as such.”

Rush was outstanding during the preseason in 2017, completing 75 percent of his passes for 398 yards, six touchdowns and no interceptions. During last year’s preseason, he completed 62 percent of his passes for 358 yards with one touchdown and four interceptions.

“It’s the test,” said Rush, Prescott’s backup the last two seasons. “It’s our season. You’re battling for a job, trying to put good tape out there and show your teammates that you can play also. It’s obviously very big.”

3.) How much will we see of Dak? Prescott was on the field for 10 offensive snaps in last year’s preseason opener against the 49ers, completing all three pass attempts for 39 yards and a TD to Michael Gallup. Look for something similar Saturday. He’ll likely play one series if things go well, maybe two if the first is a quick three-and-out. Amari Cooper and Jason Witten are unlikely to play. Look for Gallup, Randall Cobb and Tavon Austin to get some work early.

Prescott, who has been solid in training camp, has a reputation of being better in games than practices. These will be his first game reps since the Pro Bowl on Jan. 27.

4.) What will we see from Kellen Moore? Dallas’ new offensive coordinator got his first chance to call plays during the Pro Bowl. This will be his first chance as Cowboys OC to work the sideline and have quarterbacks coach Jon Kitna up in the booth. From what we’ve watched in practices, expect to see plenty of pre-snap motion, bunch sets from the receivers and maybe even a random flea flicker. But don’t expect a completely different offense than what Scott Linehan had been calling.

“A lot of people talk about the value of preseason games and how many we need and all of that,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. “I think it’s a great opportunity to evaluate players, build your team, and when you’re building your team, you’re not only talking about the players, you’re talking about coaches and the dynamics among the coaching staff and particularly if someone is doing something for the first time. You want to see them and give them as many opportunities you can. I think it’s an important game, important opportunity for our whole football team.”

5.) Brett Maher. The Cowboys kicker has consistently been going 5-for-6 on the days he has kicked field goals and extra points. It was the same on Thursday. Maher made his first five before finishing the day with a 40-plus yarder that bounced off the right upright. Jason Garrett didn’t say he was “concerned” when asked about Maher this week, but he also didn’t exactly give a ringing endorsement.

“Just want to give him opportunities, both in practice and preseason games, to continue to grow,” Garrett said. “He did a really good job for us last year in games, made a lot of big kicks for us. So we’ll continue with his growth and development. The way you do that is you give him those chances. He’ll get chances where he works on the side, team settings and obviously this weekend and throughout the preseason. He’ll get plenty of chances to kick for us.”

If the Cowboys don’t feel like Maher can get the job done, they’d probably look to sign a veteran free agent. Kasey Redfern is their backup kicker in camp, but he hasn’t been any better than Maher.

6.) Young receivers. You know about Cooper, Gallup, Cobb and Austin. This game is more about youngsters like Jon’Vea Johnson, Cedrick Wilson, Reggie Davis and Jalen Guyton.

The two who appear to have caught WR coach Sanjay Lal’s eye the most at camp are Johnson and Wilson.

“The guy who has made the most strides in camp out of that group is Ced,” Lal said. “He takes notes, he sits in the front of the room, he tries really hard to implement the techniques we coach. If he messes up one day, he doesn’t mess up the same thing twice. That’s why he has grown.”

In regards to Johnson: “He has shown the skill set that, if he ever gets it mentally, you can tell he does things that are beyond coaching. He’s a very talented, unique, smooth, natural receiver with juice. Once he gets it, he’s going to be a really good player.”

7.) Connor Williams. Last year’s second-round pick played 33 offensive snaps in his first preseason game. He’ll get a similar workload Saturday night. The Cowboys need their starting left guard to be much more consistent than he was a year ago. So far in camp, he has been.

“He’s really embraced the offseason program,” Garrett said of Williams. “He was probably as good of a performer in the offseason program as we had. He got stronger, he bulked up, it was good weight. He’s just a bigger man now. That doesn’t surprise us. We anticipated that. … We like him a lot, and he’s getting better and better.”

Overall, the starting offensive line from left to right should consist of Tyron Smith, Williams, Travis Frederick, Xavier Su’a-Filo and La’el Collins. Zack Martin (back) has already been ruled out.

8.) Defensive line. The young defensive linemen will be even more important early in the season now that veteran right defensive end Robert Quinn has been suspended for the first two games for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing substances. The Cowboys should be OK in terms of depth for the first two weeks, with DeMarcus Lawrence (shoulder) and Tyrone Crawford (hip) expected back in time for the season opener. But they’ll need depth. Players like Taco Charlton, Dorance Armstrong and Joe Jackson will get opportunities to rush the passer against New York and Washington.

“I feel like it’s been decent,” Jackson said of his camp. “But that’s not good enough. I’m trying to progress every day. … I’m trying to refine the (moves) I’m good at but also work a few more and add counters because you know eventually, those moves you got, you’re going to have to use something new.”

Those three defensive ends and rookie DT Trysten Hill are the players to keep an eye on up-front Saturday night. Hill has been working with the second team behind Maliek Collins, who is having an outstanding camp.

9.) Young cornerbacks. Much like the wide receiver group, the top of the CB depth chart is established with veterans Byron Jones, Chidobe Awuzie, Anthony Brown and Jourdan Lewis. But some good depth is emerging in camp, particularly in rookie Mike Jackson and second-year undrafted free agent Donovan Olumba.

“Really excited about their progress,” defensive backs coach Kris Richard said. “I like the way that they work consistently. I think they kind of came in and got in line right behind the older guys.”

Richard added: “Once we get out here and things get turned up, truly it’s how gold is refined. We won’t know what we have until we get out here, until we get out into the preseason games. The fire gets turned up, and we start to burn off all the impurities. That’s what really tells the tale.”

10.) Xavier Woods. The third-year free safety has gotten off to a strong start in training camp, picking off three passes. After starting 14 games last year, Woods looks ready to take the next step, giving the Cowboys a consistent playmaker they’ve needed for a while on the back end.

“He has a hyperintelligence,” Richard said of Woods. “He’s extremely smart. He’s got football savvy, and he has ball awareness.”

What is hyperintelligence?

“Smarter than everybody else,” a serious Richard said before laughing. “No, I’m just messing with you. Just anticipation, route recognition and kind of have that coach-type feel out there.”

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
10.) Xavier Woods. The third-year free safety has gotten off to a strong start in training camp, picking off three passes. After starting 14 games last year, Woods looks ready to take the next step, giving the Cowboys a consistent playmaker they’ve needed for a while on the back end.

“He has a hyperintelligence,” Richard said of Woods. “He’s extremely smart. He’s got football savvy, and he has ball awareness.”

What is hyperintelligence?

“Smarter than everybody else,” a serious Richard said before laughing. “No, I’m just messing with you. Just anticipation, route recognition and kind of have that coach-type feel out there.”
Maliek, Jaylon, X.Woods working towards that Sapp, Brooks, Lynch connection that Marinelli's been looking for.

Homertime!!!! :towel :towel :towel

shoop

Semi-contributing member
https://nflbite.com/

This from the NFL reddit stream community. There were a bunch of options on there last night. It only took me a couple of tries to find a good quality one without ads around it.

Top Bottom