List of potential Head Coaching Candidates

Carl

RIP Brother
We are all strangers to what is happening in the war room. My take, it was the inauguration of W's Library, which is comedic gold by the way; and that JJ was corrupted by Bill the Devil Clinton, had a few drinks, chased a few skirts, then remembered it was draft night. Got there in the nick of time to usurp 18 months of work by his staff, and said shit, lets just disregard everything and trade down. Garrett wanted Eifert, the scouts wanted Floyd, they got neither. Jerry wins again, and we all lose.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The fact that Garrett wanted eifert at 18 in the first place is grounds for firing honestly.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah...Eifert is actually pretty good.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
TE was a non-need position. Eifert would had to have been head and shoulders above everyone else on our board to warrant a pick in that situation, and he wasn't. And we ended up passing on a guy we had in the top 5 at a position of greater need.

Then with Escobar, again it wasn't a high need and he wasn't anywhere near BPA at the time. But for some reason we just had to force a TE early in the draft even one we knew was one dimensional. Absolutely mind-numbing.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You definitely need a franchise builder HC or you'll definitely get more of the same.

It's funny that everyone has this idea that the current flawed team is just a head coach swap away from being a Super Bowl team.

Maybe it would win another couple games, but no one is turning this roster into a Super Bowl team.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
What last years draft came down to was it was already predetermined to be an "offense draft" with one or two exceptions. 2012 was a defense draft:
#1/#2 - Claiborne
#3 - Crawford
#4 - Wilber
#5 - M. Johnson

Seriously, this is how F'd up our team is and they even admitted it. We were going to focus most of our day one and two picks on defense, eliminating half the board.

So in 2013 we were going to payback the offense by focusing almost solely on offense in the early rounds. And we were going to force an OL pick in round one with one possible exception, if safety Vaccaro was available. But once he was gone it didn't matter if our #5 guy was still around because he wasn't an offensive player or Vaccaro.
And in rounds 2-3 we not only were going to take offense, but specifically TE and WR.

It's one thing to have needs and targets, but we will actually limit ourselves certain years to only half the board in the first few rounds. And some times even zero in on just 1 position or worse end up chasing just a handful of players.

I can actually somewhat understand the dire need for a position, like OL last year, and trying to get one. But we routinely limit ourselves to one side of the ball or 1 or 2 positions instead of letting the draft come to us. I guess the only positive is that we weren't locked into another special teams draft the last two years.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, I'm sure if Eifert was here we'd be getting great production out of him, Romo might even target him 3 times a game.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
You definitely need a franchise builder HC or you'll definitely get more of the same.

It's funny that everyone has this idea that the current flawed team is just a head coach swap away from being a Super Bowl team.

Maybe it would win another couple games, but no one is turning this roster into a Super Bowl team.
What I, and most people I read on here, seem to think is that a quality HC will improve the team. Just about everyone knows that Jerry is the main problem here and has been from day one. But unless you can think of a way to get Jerry to leave or hire a GM then that point is moot. But there are a slew of HC's that are better than Garrett.

I don't think anyone is saying that just making a HC change is going to make us a Super Bowl contender. But I guarantee that keeping Garrett will ensure we will never be a contender and most years will never be above .500.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Right because he was drafted 21st and is contributing as a rookie.
It's the stupid, never-going-to-work 2TE offense project that he keeps sinking resources into without ever producing results that should be enough to get him fired.

If we picked Eifert in the first it should have been with the intention of replacing Witten.

dallen

Senior Tech
TE was a non-need position. Eifert would had to have been head and shoulders above everyone else on our board to warrant a pick in that situation, and he wasn't. And we ended up passing on a guy we had in the top 5 at a position of greater need.

Then with Escobar, again it wasn't a high need and he wasn't anywhere near BPA at the time. But for some reason we just had to force a TE early in the draft even one we knew was one dimensional. Absolutely mind-numbing.
Escobar seems to be zero dimensional so far

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Judging by the war room camera on draft day, I thought Garrett wanted Floyd... but the trade down was done instead, heavily influenced by Kiffin/Marinelli's opinions.

At least, that is how I took it.
Garrett wanted Eiffert, that's what he was pissed about.

What makes you think he'd want Floyd?

GShock

DCC 4Life
What I, and most people I read on here, seem to think is that a quality HC will improve the team.
But if the new HC does not have both 1) the ability to recognize and acquire talent, and 2) the ability to jedi mind trick Jerry into allowing that to happen, we will never be more than an 8-8 team in an 8-8 league.

One of my hopes with Garrett had been that with his family's scouting tree, he could backdoor us into better personnel decisions, and most importantly the depth that is so critical in this league. I think it is safe to say that has not worked out. We are now at a place with the death spiral of this season could well be upon us. Callahan, a WCO guy, is calling plays for Garrett's offense that is not getting the ball to our biggest offensive playmaker. Our QB is gunshy and inaccurate. Our defense was already historically bad, and just lost its best linebacker. This season has "lose out" written all over it.

So think what the next HC will be confronting - a declining and largely ruined QB, an offensive line that is mediocre and wafer-thin on its best days, a mercurial WR who will be demanding a large portion of the salary cap, a defensive line with an aging superstar DE and literally nothing else, OLBs that rotate to no meaningful effect, a single dependable player in the secondary, and the most fragile starting RB and MLB in the league. Throw in zero cap room and an insecure meddling owner/GM who will undermine you in ways you never knew possible.

That is not a job for a hot coordinator with a fancy scheme. It is not gig for a first time head coach to use as OJT. It will require someone savvy enough to recognize all the dimensions of the challenge that confronts him, and the skill and ability to address them all successfully.

There are not many of those.

Genghis Khan

What I, and most people I read on here, seem to think is that a quality HC will improve the team. Just about everyone knows that Jerry is the main problem here and has been from day one. But unless you can think of a way to get Jerry to leave or hire a GM then that point is moot. But there are a slew of HC's that are better than Garrett.

I don't think anyone is saying that just making a HC change is going to make us a Super Bowl contender. But I guarantee that keeping Garrett will ensure we will never be a contender and most years will never be above .500.
Correct.

Genghis Khan

It's the stupid, never-going-to-work 2TE offense project that he keeps sinking resources into without ever producing results that should be enough to get him fired.

If we picked Eifert in the first it should have been with the intention of replacing Witten.
Correct.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Any real quality HC in Dallas will have Jerry "walking on eggshells" and it won't work for long.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So think what the next HC will be confronting - a declining and largely ruined QB, an offensive line that is mediocre and wafer-thin on its best days, a mercurial WR who will be demanding a large portion of the salary cap, a defensive line with an aging superstar DE and literally nothing else, OLBs that rotate to no meaningful effect, a single dependable player in the secondary, and the most fragile starting RB and MLB in the league. Throw in zero cap room and an insecure meddling owner/GM who will undermine you in ways you never knew possible.

That is not a job for a hot coordinator with a fancy scheme. It is not gig for a first time head coach to use as OJT. It will require someone savvy enough to recognize all the dimensions of the challenge that confronts him, and the skill and ability to address them all successfully.

Correct.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Exactly.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jon Gruden. /thread
Meh, Chucky's been gone way too long. Game's changed and he's almost certainly lost that creativity that made him so damned good. I remember him willing that inept Bucs offense to a Superbowl win and how he somehow made a weapon out of Joe Jurevicius-- in 2002. His act wears thin fast and he's way too one-dimensional.

Mike Zimmer has proven he's a damn good football coach who deserves a chance as an NFL HC. His GM has lucked into a lot of DL talent and he's made the most of it plus scrap heap guys like Terence Newman. The problem is like a lot of fine candidates lacking the cred of a Bill Parcells he'd get boss-raped in Dallas.

He'd get 80-year old Jason Hatcher and Jay Ratliff as starting DTs and be told to like it by a "GM" who fancies himself a genius.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But if the new HC does not have both 1) the ability to recognize and acquire talent, and 2) the ability to jedi mind trick Jerry into allowing that to happen, we will never be more than an 8-8 team in an 8-8 league.

One of my hopes with Garrett had been that with his family's scouting tree, he could backdoor us into better personnel decisions, and most importantly the depth that is so critical in this league. I think it is safe to say that has not worked out. We are now at a place with the death spiral of this season could well be upon us. Callahan, a WCO guy, is calling plays for Garrett's offense that is not getting the ball to our biggest offensive playmaker. Our QB is gunshy and inaccurate. Our defense was already historically bad, and just lost its best linebacker. This season has "lose out" written all over it.

Fantastic post.

Top Bottom