Linehan returning

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So...you are skeptical about Mariota, yet think Petty can play.

Whatever, homer.
I watch a lot of Bayor and I want no part of Petty.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Because like most spread QBs, he isn't asked to read a defense and go through progressions.

He's basically a stat compiler in a gimmick offense.
:lol Okay.

So what about Mariota like we were talking about above? He plays in a "gimmick" offense also. Tons, maybe even most, college QBs do now.

D

Deuce

:lol Okay.

So what about Mariota like we were talking about above? He plays in a "gimmick" offense also. Tons, maybe even most, college QBs do now.
I have the same opinion of him. He isn't going to be able to throw 10+ screens a game and he isn't going to be playing in an offense where there is always a WR streaking open.

He's going to have to learn to be patient and sit in the pocket and read a D, just like Owtty and the rest of the spread guys.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
No to him.

No to Hundley too.

This is a sad sack of shit group of QBs.
What's funny is many mocks that had Hundley entering the draft last year had him in the top 15 of the first round. Now he's 2nd-3rd round. This is a crap QB class, from top to bottom.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Because like most spread QBs, he isn't asked to read a defense and go through progressions.

He's basically a stat compiler in a gimmick offense.
Pretty much.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Mariota is asked to make a ton of reads in Oregon's system, they just aren't the type of reads he'll generally have to make in the NFL. However, Mariota is by all accounts an extremely smart guy, and I'm sure he'll develop into a great QB if he's given the proper tutelage and time to get ready. Winston is more pro-ready now, but I'd be willing to bet a lot that Mariota has a better career. He reminds me of a cross between Kaepernick and Russell Wilson.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mariota is asked to make a ton of reads in Oregon's system, they just aren't the type of reads he'll generally have to make in the NFL.

They are keys from designated WR routes. Outside of Kelly's system, most NFL offenses don't run that way.

Like Manziel, he's going to have to go to a team that designs the offense around the skill set and familiarity.

Real tough to do for most staffs.

However, Mariota is by all accounts an extremely smart guy, and I'm sure he'll develop into a great QB if he's given the proper tutelage and time to get ready. Winston is more pro-ready now, but I'd be willing to bet a lot that Mariota has a better career. He reminds me of a cross between Kaepernick and Russell Wilson.
Not a bad comparison. Honestly, the Bucs do not appear to be a good match and neither are the Titans.

The Jets have David Lee who I think is excellent working with QBs and Chan Gailey who can make retards serviceable.

Just don't know if they put that in place to get Geno Smith up to snuff or take a new guy.

Top Bottom