LeBreton - Cowboys and Seahawks: There’s just no comparison

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys and Seahawks: There’s just no comparison

Posted Saturday, Feb. 08, 2014
By Gil LeBreton

glebreton@star-telegram.com

lebreton Of all the delusional missteps that Owner Jones has taken in the Dallas Cowboys’ post-Jimmy Johnson years, few can rival the leap of faith that Jerry made following the 2009 season.

The 11-5 Cowboys had won the NFC East and swamped Philadelphia 34-14 in the wild-card round of the playoffs.

But in an ear-ringing setting the next week at Minnesota, Jones’ team was routed 34-3. The Cowboys went home; the Vikings went on to the NFC Championship Game in New Orleans.

Months and minicamps passed, and soon there was Owner Jones at the microphone in San Antonio, giving his traditional State of the Cowboys training camp speech.

The Super Bowl was going to be played in Jones’ new stadium at the end of the 2010 season, and Jerry felt it was his and the Cowboys’ destinies to be there.

As Jones saw it, “We have some players on this team who knocked on the door of the Super Bowl, and they’re going to play major roles for this team.

“I know they don’t need to be reminded that close doesn’t count.”

Close? Knocked on the door?

The Vikings had overwhelmed the Cowboys in January 2010 by 31 points, and as I recall, the game wasn’t as close as the score indicated.

Yet, Owner Jones somehow chose to view the 2009 season champagne glass as nearly full, rather than half-empty.

The Cowboys actually had a productive draft that spring, selecting Dez Bryant and Sean Lee. But in the fourth round, they took defensive back Akwasi Owusu-Ansah — seven spots before the Seattle Seahawks drafted strong safety Kam Chancellor.

They stood pat — Jones said they were “close,” remember? — and left the running game in the hands of Felix Jones and Marion Barber. The defensive starters in that 2010 season included Igor Olshansky, Keith Brooking and Alan Ball.

We all know how that turned out. The Cowboys began the season 1-7, quarterback Tony Romo got hurt and head coach Wade Phillips went from “knocking on the door” to vacating his Valley Ranch office.

The Cowboys have been frozen in 8-8 mediocrity ever since.

It was somewhat frivolously pointed out during Super Bowl week that the Cowboys were the last team to beat the Seahawks soundly — a 23-13 victory in the eighth game of the 2011 season.

Hopefully, Jones missed that little trivia nugget. Cowboys fans wouldn’t want Jerry thinking he heard another knock at the Super Bowl door.

More accurately, as we sat in slack-jawed amazement at the Seahawks’ total domination of the Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII, we couldn’t help but wonder. Just how close are the Cowboys now, four years after Owner Jones had pronounced them Super Bowl contenders?

Just how many current Cowboys could start for the NFL champions, if Seahawks coach Pete Carroll had the pick of Jones’ litter?

Three, maybe four? And that’s even trying to be generous.

The Seahawks certainly could use receiver Bryant to enhance their passing game. But as nice a season as running back DeMarco Murray had, Carroll and Seattle undoubtedly would prefer Marshawn Lynch.

The Cowboys’ Jason Witten remains one of the NFC’s top tight ends, but Seattle receiver Doug Baldwin is six years younger.

Romo, 33 and coming off back surgery, over Russell Wilson? Not a chance.

Offensive linemen Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick had solid seasons for the Cowboys, but the Seahawks probably aren’t going to swap them for Russell Okung and Max Unger.

Defense? Jason Hatcher definitely could fit into Carroll’s line rotation. But with Jones’ salary cap squeeze, who’s to say that free agent Hatcher won’t, in fact, be playing in Seattle next season?

Linebacker Sean Lee, when healthy, is the Cowboys’ best defensive starter. He likely would be an upgrade over Bobby Wagner for Seattle.

But sadly, that’s about it. The chasm between the Cowboys and the reigning Super Bowl champions is at least 17-18 starters wide.

Remember that nugget in July when Owner Jones gives his next State of the Cowboys address.

Jerry hears knocks on the door. Too bad he can’t hear the franchise’s clock ticking.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well, that was the most depressing fucking read possibly ever.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Hey DeMarcus got "mad" after that.

Did nothing, but he said he got mad.

So we have that going for us. Which is nice.
I loved all the phony outrage it generated. Shitheads like 5stars would have jizzed their pants had Dez unleashed a hit like that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We get this article every year. It's stupid.

Dallas is no Seattle/Baltimore/Pittsburgh/insert super bowl winner.

First, no shit.

Second, we are in an age where sustained success is elusive. Baltimore was no Baltimore this year. Pittsburgh was no Pittsburgh last year or this year, etc.

We need to focus on ourselves and finding ways to win with what we have and not worry about chasing the team du jour.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

First, no shit.

Second, we are in an age where sustained success is elusive. Baltimore was no Baltimore this year. Pittsburgh was no Pittsburgh last year or this year, etc.

We need to focus on ourselves and finding ways to win with what we have and not worry about chasing the team du jour.
Yep. I didn't even bother reading the article because articles like this are written up seemingly every year after the season ends.

Bottom line, until football becomes priority #1 over entertainment, this team won't come close to competing for a Super Bowl birth.

That's what needs to change.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You mean having organizational direction with a solid sustainable plan, drafting players to fit that plan, not blowing cap space on any guy who shows even a glimmer of talent and having quality coaching that does not lose a game or two each season due to being functionally inept?

Good luck with that.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

First, no shit.

Yeah, they're stupid. What's that? The superbowl winner has a better roster than an 8-8 team? Well, holy shit. Who'da thunk it?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You mean having organizational direction with a solid sustainable plan, drafting players to fit that plan, not blowing cap space on any guy who shows even a glimmer of talent and having quality coaching that does not lose a game or two each season due to being functionally inept?

Good luck with that.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about and yes it'll be a cold day in hell. :lol

But that's the article right there that we should be getting, not these "let's compare the Cowboys to team X" articles.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about and yes it'll be a cold day in hell. :lol

But that's the article right there that we should be getting, not these "let's compare the Cowboys to team X" articles.
To be fair, I am sure LeBreton has written his share of Jerry sucks complete ass articles too.

Kind of have to spread out how you notice the FAIL.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
You might as well compare Kristie to Jennifer Lawrence.

No offense, K.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'm thinking I should ask EZ for my money back.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Alexandra Daddario and that chick from the Zone who makes YouTube videos: there's just no comparison.

Great analysis.

Top Bottom