Kellen Moore Re-Signed

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think a weak arm backup is good at all. Isn't that just going to bring the defense closer?
Even the strong arm QBs don't average much more than 8 to 10 yards. The obvious disadvantage is any deep threat.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How ws Garrett's arm considered?
Garrett was a tweener. A good arm but not a rocket arm. He could do deep patterns with pretty good success. His crowning accomplishment was a Thanksgiving day fill in for Aikman. I was at that game and there were some deep catches by the receivers. He set a record with most passing TD s in a half as I recall. I don't know if that still stands.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Even the strong arm QBs don't average much more than 8 to 10 yards. The obvious disadvantage is any deep threat.
That will keep the defense honest. Somebody that can't won't.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Garrett was a tweener. A good arm but not a rocket arm. He could do deep patterns with pretty good success. His crowning accomplishment was a Thanksgiving day fill in for Aikman. I was at that game and there were some deep catches by the receivers. He set a record with most passing TD s in a half as I recall. I don't know if that still stands.
That's why I asked, his only limitations must have been physical since he was considered smart even back then. So his arm was not above average, probably not even average, but yet he had that Thanksgiving game where he burned GB deep constantly. I think even most noodle arms can throw the ball 40 yds. deep, not on a rope, but still deep enough to burn any team if they just ignore it, at least for a game or two...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think a weak arm backup is good at all. Isn't that just going to bring the defense closer?
Chad Pennington was a tremendous deep ball thrower and he has a weak arm. You don't have to have a strong arm to throw it deep.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Chad Pennington was a tremendous deep ball thrower and he has a weak arm. You don't have to have a strong arm to throw it deep.
No, but you definitely need your receivers to get more separation the weaker your arm. The less separation plus the ball being in the air longer results in more PBUs and INTs.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Even weaker than Brad Johnson's arm? That's a feat.
Hence "One of" :)

I don't know if I would say even weaker than that but it's up there or down there, depending on how you look at it. He's a serviceable #2 guy but hopefully he doesn't need to see anything but mop up duty.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I remember that one, I had low expectations that day but he managed the game well. Of course, we still had The Triplets, Alvin Harper as a deep threat, that dominant OL and a solid defense.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I remember that one, I had low expectations that day but he managed the game well. Of course, we still had The Triplets, Alvin Harper as a deep threat, that dominant OL and a solid defense.
make that The Duo (Troy was inactive that day)

DLK150

DCC 4Life
His arm looked pretty week that day to me. But man he could throw some lollipops deep.
Yep. There aren't too many QBs that could manage a frozen rope deep downfield. Aikman could when he was younger. Bledsoe had the arm for it too but made some awful decisions under pressure.

Top Bottom