Keith Olbermann to Return to ESPN, Host Nightly Show

BipolarFuk

Demoted
By JAMES ANDREW MILLER

ESPN is expected to announce on Wednesday that the former network mainstay Keith Olbermann, who contentiously departed in 1997, will return to host a one-hour, nightly show for ESPN2 later this year, according to three executives with knowledge of the deal but not authorized to speak about it publicly.

Olbermann, 54, became renowned for co-anchoring ESPN’s “SportsCenter” with Dan Patrick — arguably the most auspicious pairing in the history of the show or the network. He left the show briefly to help launch ESPN2 in October 1993.

The move to bring Olbermann back after a 16-year absence was the result of 14 months of intense discussion within ESPN and its parent, the Walt Disney Company.

Within ESPN, there was concern about asking Olbermann back because he left the network under emotionally charged circumstances and because it was feared by some that Olbermann had become too politicized as the host of his interim MSNBC program “Countdown,” which aired from 2003 through January 2011.

On his new show, Olbermann will be free to discuss matters other than sports, including pop culture and current events, but not politics, the two-year pact specifies.

While some ESPN insiders reportedly voiced the opinion that Olbermann was part of the network’s past, not its future, his star quality is almost unmatched in the sports television arena; he seems to draw a crowd. Rumors had been bubbling for weeks that ESPN would put aside the difficulties of the past and invite Olbermann back.

Some of Olbermann’s years since leaving ESPN have been professionally stormy, but controversy has always been part of his public persona. While some of his other network tenures had rocky periods, and some ended badly, his sports knowledge and on-air charisma have never been questioned.

ESPN executives said Olbermann will help it face the challenge presented by the launch of Fox Sports 1, a rival all-sports network that just announced plans for a potentially similar series to star Regis Philbin, 82.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Wonder how long this will last before he breaks contract and goes into some political diatribe?

dallen

Senior Tech
Its a pretty fine line between discussing current events and politics

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Its a pretty fine line between discussing current events and politics
there are probably very specific guidelines in the contract, like not giving an opinion on politicians (criticism or support) or mentioning political parties.

D

Deuce

He was great on Sports Center when teamed up with Patrick. I don't think he'll have a problem.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
3 episodes, 4 tops.
I was going to give it 6 weeks. Just long enough for people to remember that he has a new show only to find out that he burned yet another bridge and got himself fired by the network. Again.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
He was great on Sports Center when teamed up with Patrick. I don't think he'll have a problem.
They were the best. No one has been close to them IMO as a team.

My favorite guy by himself was Charlie Steiner just because he was prone to fits of laughter on the air.

D

Deuce

My favorite guy by himself was Charlie Steiner just because he was prone to fits of laughter on the air.
Steiner was also great. Pretty much any of those mid 90's Sports Center guys were great expect for boring ass Linda Cohn.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Steiner was also great. Pretty much any of those mid 90's Sports Center guys were great expect for boring ass Linda Cohn.
Steiner was awesome.

He was funny and he seemed like a good guy too.

His best moment was when he totally lost his shit after the clip of Carl Lewis singing the national anthem.

Top Bottom