JJT: No discernible strategy for Cowboys

junk

Not So New Member
Hostile said:
I never intended to post here again, but I took so much crap over this topic that having the last piece of evidence I said would come out has brought me out of lurk mode for this one response.

It is always the Head Coach, and anyone with a lick of common sense knows this.

In High School it is the Head Coach not the School Superintendent or the Principal. The Head Coach knows what a player can do and how he can use him.

In college it is the Head Coach not the Athletic Director. He knows strategies, timing, Xs and Os, and training.

In the NFL it is the Head Coach not the GM. They build the teams, everyone works for them to build the team, it is their vision. It always has been. For every single team. The differences in how teams are run revolve around what the Head Coach wants. Every team worth a flip tries to accomodate that. That is why Tom Landry was successful with Murchison as an owner, but not with Bum Bright who was submarining him. That is why none of the other Head Coaches here blame Jerry but fans can't let go.

Gil Brandt and Tom Landry built those teams. Jimmy Johnson built the 90's team. Bill Parcells dug us out of Campo hell. Gailey did better than Switzer at the Draft and other football related matters.

Do people really think Jerry just suddenly got better when Parcells, Phillips and now Garrett arrived? No, those guys did better than Switzer, Gailey, and Campo.

It is always the Head Coach. That is why Kansas City will build into something decent. Why the Redskins are once again formidable. Why teams would jump all over Belichick if he was available and still wanted to coach.

You want to know why Cowher, Holmgren, Dungy, Jimmy, and other successful Head Coaches don't have jobs? Because they are set for life, have nothing left to prove, and are doing fine without the grind.

Don't be fooled by this banter that has tripped these guys up for years. It is always the Head Coach. Tex Schramm suddenly became a bad GM and Landry a bad Coach? No. Landry could have resurrected the Cowboys under Jerry because Jerry supports the Head Coach with everything he has. Gives him whatever he wants. Why do you think we had so many "friends of Bill" arrive when the Big Tuna got here?

I'm sorry that I was right and so many otherwise intelligent people were wrong. I'm sorry many feel I was cocky about it. Blame it on frustration of trying to be a voice of reason to those who can't be reasoned with.

It is always the Head Coach, at every level of the game. The best ones know the game and they will turn teams around. That is why I am so confident in our Head Coach. Because respected football men see what he wants and what he is building. It's a damned shame so many Cowboys fans can't see it when we have had such good examples of how building a team is done.

Enjoy the Draft and the season folks. Go Cowboys. That is the only thing that matters, not all this petty infighting that never solves a thing.
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/dallascowboys.php?t=255129

:lol

Whoops. Kind of contradicting here.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bullshit. We ran a 4-2 Nickel every year except 2011 and 2012 and his bitch ass couldn't get to the QB in passing situations. And Wade rushed five about 75% of the time from 3-4 sets.

No one in the NFL rushes 5 anywhere close to 75% of the time. It was far less then that. On top of that only a percentage of the time that we rushed 5 was Spencer one of those 5 (We blitzed other guys sometimes too).

Just because we ran some 4 man fronts doesn't really change the fact that out of our base set Spencer was a part time rusher. He got far more opportunities last year, there really isn't any question about it. I don't think it is any coincidence that as Ware's sack numbers go down a little Spencer's go up. It has to do with what we were doing on defense.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

No one in the NFL rushes 5 anywhere close to 75% of the time. It was far less then that. On top of that only a percentage of the time that we rushed 5 was Spencer one of those 5 (We blitzed other guys sometimes too).

Just because we ran some 4 man fronts doesn't really change the fact that out of our base set Spencer was a part time rusher. He got far more opportunities last year, there really isn't any question about it. I don't think it is any coincidence that as Ware's sack numbers go down a little Spencer's go up. It has to do with what we were doing on defense.
75% was an exaggeration but he got a lot of chances and as a Nickel and he wasn't getting any pressure.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I posed the same question shortly after the draft. If they didn't like his sack numbers, why the hell was he so high on their board in the first place. It's a prime example of the level of dysfunction within the organization.
I'd like to know why we were even focused on a DT's pass rushing ability and sack numbers over his ability to stop the run. A pass rush from a DT is a luxury, but run stoppage is a necessity. I'm positive that Jerry has no clue what a DT's real job is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
75% was an exaggeration but he got a lot of chances and as a Nickel and he wasn't getting any pressure.
I don't know if I would say he wasn't getting any pressure. The guy was basically labeled "almost" sack around here for most of the time. Spencer was getting pressure he just wasn't closing the deal.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't know if I would say he wasn't getting any pressure. The guy was basically labeled "almost" sack around here for most of the time. Spencer was getting pressure he just wasn't closing the deal.
I've never believed in "pressures" that lead to easy completions and don't even force the QB to move. I know the team kept saying he was almost there, but it looked more like he was always forced wide and took the long way around because he didn't have any pass rush moves. I think learning to use his hands was a big part of his first double digit sack season. Several of the sacks I saw were ones where he got in quickly, not coverage or cleanup sacks where he finally got "time" to get to the passer.

Top Bottom