JJT: New deals will require creativity

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I dunno, hasn't he been kind of a bust? I know he had an ok season this year but I'd rather hope for an Eddie Lacy or LeSean McCoy type in the 2nd.

I feel like Ingram would be expensive both in picks and salary, I'd rather try out Ryan Williams than overpay for Ingram.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think Gore behind this line would be outstanding. Split carries with him, Randle, and a rookie.

I still think we end up with Peterson though.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think Gore behind this line would be outstanding. Split carries with him, Randle, and a rookie.

I still think we end up with Peterson though.
I mean.... part of me thinks that Peterson could be epic here. Best OL and QB he'd have been around.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I mean.... part of me thinks that Peterson could be epic here. Best OL and QB he'd have been around.
I don't want to sound like I am shitting on Murray, but we'd be a better team with Peterson. Definitely would be more explosive and a few of those runs where Murray gets 20-30 yards would be TDs from Peterson.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'd make that phone call, too.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If Ridley was healthy coming back I would definitely have interest. Always have liked the player. Not a big fan of Ingram at all.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
AP turns 30 in 2 months. It's possible he still has 2 more years left in him but it would have to be at a great price for me to bring him here. Knowing Jerry, I think he'll do it. Lots of jer$ey sales to be had. But we'll need a young back on day 2 of the draft to be ready to take over soon.

Carp

DCC 4Life
AP turns 30 in 2 months. It's possible he still has 2 more years left in him but it would have to be at a great price for me to bring him here. Knowing Jerry, I think he'll do it. Lots of jer$ey sales to be had. But we'll need a young back on day 2 of the draft to be ready to take over soon.
I think it would be fairly cheap...he's made quite a bit of money and has a hard on to play for the Cowboys. Definitely want a young back to pair with him, Langford from MSU is a guy I really like, but I also don't want to dismiss Randle. He is a good young back.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I know Murray had a lot of carries, but he's 26 and he's by far the best back on that list.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I know Murray had a lot of carries, but he's 26 and he's by far the best back on that list.
He is, but at what cost? I look at guys like him and Dez...I know Dez is a special talent and should be paid accordingly. I don't feel the same way about Murray.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As an aside...what I am hoping for is that this OL will do for us what Shanahan and his system did for RBs in Denver. Take care of that line and the RB becomes interchangeable.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If Cowboys let DeMarco Murray walk, it will be by choice
January, 16, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- In one breath, Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones says his team can be players in free agency. In the next, he says it will be a challenge for the Cowboys to keep Dez Bryant and DeMarco Murray.

If the Cowboys can be players in free agency, why can’t they keep Bryant and Murray?

Well, they can.

If they don’t, that will be because the Cowboys chose not to.

The Cowboys can do anything they want in free agency. Cap space will not be an issue.

“We want to be active,” Jones said of free agency. “I think the word really is attentive because we won’t be active if the player is out of kilter with what we can afford or out of kilter with what his number is relative to what he can do for us. So, it just is going to depend. What the good news is, we’re in a lot better shape under the cap than we’ve been at any time over the last two or three years. That’s good. And my hat is off to Stephen [Jones]. My hat’s off to the staff there.”

According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Cowboys are under the projected 2015 cap by roughly $1.1 million. Other sites have the Cowboys with more room under the projected cap. Regardless, with a few swipes of a pen, the Cowboys can create about $45 million in cap space.

That doesn’t mean they will or want to create all that room. It just means they can.

Doug Free's and Henry Melton's deals will come off the cap once Free's deal voids and once the Cowboys don’t pick up Melton’s $9 million option. That creates $15.5 million in space. If the Cowboys designate cornerback Brandon Carr a post-June 1 cut, that creates $8 million in space. If the Cowboys get Carr to take a pay cut then that will save them room as well but not $8 million. The Cowboys can create about $8 million in room by restructuring Tyron Smith's deal

They could also create up to $12.8 million by restructuring the contract of quarterback Tony Romo, but that is not the foregone conclusion many believe it to be. By restructuring Romo’s contract, that would impact future cap space

So the Cowboys can sign Murray and Bryant. That’s not the issue. The math can work.

It’s more about if they believe the position is worth the dollars. History tells you a running back's production dips after the type of season Murray had in 2014. History tells you once running backs hit a certain age, they don’t have a rebirth. History tells the Cowboys the seven-year, $45 million deal that included $16 million to Marion Barber in 2008 was a major mistake.

The choice to sign Murray would be easier if the Cowboys can get Bryant signed to a long-term deal instead of having to use the franchise tag on the Pro Bowl wide receiver. Bryant’s cap number would be lower with a long-term deal than under the franchise tag, thus freeing up cap dollars for Murray.

This is where the battle between what the Cowboys' front office would like and what Jason Garrett wants will be so interesting this offseason. On Tuesday, Garrett spoke about Murray in reverential terms. On Thursday Jones attempted to set the bar low on keeping Murray.

The front office would like Murray. Garrett wants Murray. That’s a big difference.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He is, but at what cost? I look at guys like him and Dez...I know Dez is a special talent and should be paid accordingly. I don't feel the same way about Murray.
What Murray does is so vital to this team's success, it's really important that we don't play the plug and play game and cross our fingers with lesser talent. If we are going to replace him, it better be with a real talent, and a guy that shows the same kind of drive, leadership and toughness that Murray put in last season.

You can't break the bank, I understand that, but I would go 4/24 or something, certainly.

If we let him go, fine. But we're fools if we count on Vereen or Moreno types to replace him.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I agree with this completely.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
What Murray does is so vital to this team's success, it's really important that we don't play the plug and play game and cross our fingers with lesser talent. If we are going to replace him, it better be with a real talent, and a guy that shows the same kind of drive, leadership and toughness that Murray put in last season.

You can't break the bank, I understand that, but I would go 4/24 or something, certainly.

If we let him go, fine. But we're fools if we count on Vereen or Moreno types to replace him.
I am more worried about the mental/psychological aspect of letting him go than the physical/production aspect.
I think many RB's will be able to "produce" like he will next year especially considering this years workload and what history has shown us about RB's after 400 carry seasons. But it seems he's looked up to in the dressing room and his being "disposed of" like dirty laundry might have a very negative effect on the teams psyche...

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I definitely would go after Ingram. I really liked him in the draft and thanks to the New Orleans offense he's barely been used.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't want to sound like I am shitting on Murray, but we'd be a better team with Peterson. Definitely would be more explosive and a few of those runs where Murray gets 20-30 yards would be TDs from Peterson.
Peterson is the poster boy for wear and tear from toting the pigskin.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The big issue with Peterson is getting reinstated, which won't happen until April. I don't want the free agency period to start and also have the draft looming holding out hope that the Vikings dump him. Right now, he's not available and there is no guarantee he will be.

Top Bottom