JJT: Cowboys offense no juggernaut

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That's basically the definition of punitive. Punishment for faults, his fault being all the things you say make him not good enough like clock mismanagement and lack of dedication to the run.
Um, no.

It's about making the team better, not punishing Garrett.

Firings generally aren't punishment. They are a move in the best interest of your organization.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Then why is it part of your argument?
I wasn't arguing. Booze said "Schmitty?"

And I said "Ravi summed up my position, that the offense had problems but it wasn't the biggest problem."

I can state a position without attributing the counter position to someone else.

I think the point JJT was making was, the offense a problem too, even if the numbers might appear otherwise. And I'd agree with that.
I didn't disagree with that. Though I'd also note that there were positives on offense as well as negatives.

Genghis Khan

There were positives on defense too.

Getting way better on defense is this team's only hope next season. I have no hope for the offense improving, because the offense's problem isn't related to personnel and we already know it isn't changing.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So basically he is blameless?
My point was about the play the media gets from aiming its criticism. Here, JJT is blaming the offensive staff and players, but in the end the only criticism that gets any response is blaming Romo.

The media can't get much play out of beating up Garrett, a pathetic figure who's damned whether he succeeds or fails. Everyone expects him to be average or irrelevant.

Tearing Bill Callahan a new one probably lands you on page 27.

Beating up Jerry has been done so many times and is so worn out and you might not even get your article printed-- e.g. ... the defense was historically bad, but because that was Jerry's fault the media doesn't dwell on it. Next topic.

That leaves only one even semi-capable, difference-making person in the whole organization, a guy who will always draw the ire of fans and anti-fans alike if you steer the conversation back towards him: Tony Romo.

Romo responds with 31TDs on 10 picks ending his season getting his team a win playing through a herniated disk... and it's not good enough. No, he should have scored more points. Watch, this article is setting Romo up to take the blame for not handing the ball off.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Watch, this article is setting Romo up to take the blame for not handing the ball off.
If he ultimately is the dumb shit responsible for abandoning the run in games like the Green Bay debacle, then he deserves every bit of it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If he ultimately is the dumb shit responsible for abandoning the run in games like the Green Bay debacle, then he deserves every bit of it.
He definitely called out of a run on his first interception in that game, but you see how easy it is to fall into the trap? No one in the NFL is more polarizing than Tony Romo.

The Cowboys called a ridiculous number of pass plays in that second half. Is Romo on the hook for all of those? What about the 17 pass plays in a row vs. Denver that also ended in an interception? Even the Broncos, the most prolific pass offense of all time, make sure they run the ball at least once each series of downs.

Not Dallas, because the Cowboys "know better".

If Romo audibles out of the run every time, how is it the OC and HC 1) don't recognize this or 2) have utterly no sway to make a change? Jerry Jones is stupid, but not even he would put in a power structure where neither the OC nor HC could override the fricking QB.

It's just so easy to blame Romo as the "ultimate dumb shit", and not Jones and not the HC or the OC or the unbelievably bad defense.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You guys arguing with the fence straddler again?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So basically he is blameless? I think Jerry Jones is the Anti-Christ, but until someone proves he actually tells Jason Garrett what plays to call, I fail to see how you can blame every little fricking thing on him.

It is different when you have a 5-11 team.

Bad is bad.

But when you end up 8-8 and a couple of those losses are arguably on the idiotic playcalling when the team was ahead and in control, what then?
Yeppers.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
But you refuse to acknowledge the problem outright and you fricking know it.

There is always the "well, it is not the biggest problem". Just like "oh, I think he's an average coach, but....".

Jason Garrett, in practically every season since he became the full time head coach, has had a minimum of two games per season where you can directly pin a loss on his ineffectiveness. Period.

We can bitch about Jerry over and over again, but this is just a simple fact that most people acknowledge.

Except you.
And when you kill two games a year on a team talented enough to go 8-8 despite that, you're screwing the team out of the playoffs every year.

C. Joseph Wright

Brand New Member
No at True

No at True

The notion that the Cowboys kicked FG's instead of scoring TD's too often is not true. It may have been true for one or 2 games, but the Cowboys were Top 5 in the NFL in redzone scoring. The biggest problem with the Cowboys offense was the failure to convert 3rd downs, but make no mistake: the Cowboys had a very good offense. A mediocre offense doesn't score 27+ points a game:

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2013/12/the-few-beams-of-sunlight-breaking.html

Perhaps more important than the success of the offense in 2013 is the fact that they are a work in progress, and a team that shows a significant amount of positive changes since the Garrett regime took over:

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2014/01/the-times-they-are-changing-jason.html

I like JJT quite a bit, but he is over overly negative, like he is intentionally trying to be a counter-balance to the kool-aid drinkers at the Mothership.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is the first post I recall seeing from C J Wright. Welcome to the site. I trust you have read enough here to be aware that this is a lively bunch and we are not reluctant to counterpoint. All input is welcome as far as I am concerned.

Genghis Khan

The notion that the Cowboys kicked FG's instead of scoring TD's too often is not true. It may have been true for one or 2 games, but the Cowboys were Top 5 in the NFL in redzone scoring. The biggest problem with the Cowboys offense was the failure to convert 3rd downs, but make no mistake: the Cowboys had a very good offense. A mediocre offense doesn't score 27+ points a game:

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2013/12/the-few-beams-of-sunlight-breaking.html

Perhaps more important than the success of the offense in 2013 is the fact that they are a work in progress, and a team that shows a significant amount of positive changes since the Garrett regime took over:

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2014/01/the-times-they-are-changing-jason.html

I like JJT quite a bit, but he is over overly negative, like he is intentionally trying to be a counter-balance to the kool-aid drinkers at the Mothership.
Lolwut

D

Deuce

Perhaps more important than the success of the offense in 2013 is the fact that they are a work in progress, and a team that shows a significant amount of positive changes since the Garrett regime took over.
Garrett has been in charge of just the offense for 7 years now. How long do they get the "work in progress" excuse?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Deuce...please post a counter point of an article you wrote at another site.

Genghis Khan

Garrett has been in charge of just the offense for 7 years now. How long do they get the "work in progress" excuse?
Seriously.

Even if you just limit the statement to the time Garrett has been HC, we've been 8-8 each full season. If that's "progress," I would hate to see what stagnation is.

At this rate, we'll be 9-7 in no time!

I especially like this gem, "I like JJT quite a bit. But he is over overly negative." LOL

Top Bottom