Jerry Lewis dies at age 91

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Lewis -- the legendary comedian, actor, singer and director -- has died.

Penn Jillette just tweeted, "Jerry Lewis just died. When I met him, I fell apart, just sobbed. I guess it's time for that again." Another tweet from Las Vegas Review-Journal reporter John Katsilometes says Lewis died peacefully from natural causes at his home in Vegas ... attributing a statement from his family.

Lewis was one of the greatest comedians in the history of comedy. He was known for his slapstick routines and became enormously famous when he teamed up with Dean Martin in 1946.

Lewis starred in a number of iconic films, including "The Nutty Professor" and "Damn Yankees."

Jerry also was known to millions for decades as the emcee of the "Muscular Dystrophy Telethon" held every labor day weekend, where Lewis would raise money for 24 hours straight.

Jerry got a lifetime achievement award in 2009 by the Academy of of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences.

He was 91.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
RIP, funny man. I collected for his MDA telethon when I was a kid.

91 is a long life and I know he had a lot of health issues so I'm not surprised.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I remember seeing his first movie. It was "My Friend Irma", as I recall. It was Martin and Lewis.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Apparently he was a bit of a douche.
I've heard things to that effect over the years. Dean Martin was always cast as the handsome crooner that always got the girl, he was the clumsy doofus and I seem to remember hearing that he had some jealousy toward Martin as a result. Another actor that hated being typecast.

Top Bottom