Jerry Jones Makes The Hall Of Fame

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Everybody is talking about the RBs/WRs but what about Kurt Warner. I wouldn't have him in there based on 2 hear seasons and some pretty good ones. Just seems that he gets the entry because he sacked groceries.
Warner is a no brainer. Three super bowl appearances, one win, stats out the ass.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Warner is a no brainer. Three super bowl appearances, one win, stats out the ass.
But what about the mediocre seasons in between?

He had 2 good seasons in Arizona after about 3 very good/great seasons in St. Louis.

Why does that warrant such no-brainer induction?

Like Davis, it's a very small window of great play but yet that deserves the nod over an extended career of excellence like Owens'?

I don't get it.

data

Forbes #1
But what about the mediocre seasons in between?

He had 2 good seasons in Arizona after about 3 very good/great seasons in St. Louis.

Why does that warrant such no-brainer induction?

Like Davis, it's a very small window of great play but yet that deserves the nod over an extended career of excellence like Owens'?

I don't get it.
likeability and SB wins. TO has neither.

For TO, Randy Moss' candidacy will be interesting. While Moss may not be to TOs level of direct confrontational locker room distraction, he wasn't a saint by any means. More childish shit, he's Known for going to locker room early, squirting water bottles, mooning the Packers crowd, hitting a crossing guard, etc. but he was Traded out of Minnesota as they tired of his antics, never endeared himself in Oakland...that's just off the top of my head.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He received bonus points for taking two bottom-feeder franchises to the Super Bowl.
Joe Buck made a statement as Kurt Warner was leading the Cards on a must-score drive in the 2008 NFC Championship: "Can a drive take you to the Hall of Fame." or something similar.

It struck me then no matter how great Warner was in St Louis and even with 2 NFL MVP seasons, he was still a borderline HOF candidate. But if he could take the frigging Cardinals to the Superbowl you'd have to call him a strong candidate, if not a lock.

Clearly one of the best QB's of all time. I think had he been able to fire that Hail Mary there was a good chance Fitzgerald would have come down with it to steal that Superbowl back.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'd have to agree that Owens should be in the HOF, especially when you consider the players who are in that don't have the stats and play making ability Owens demonstrated in his playing years.

Yeah, he was a cancer to his teams and his behavior was dumbfounding at times. On the flip side, Chris Carter had huge drug problems but is still in the HOF. Others had substance abuse issues and character issues and still got in.

So, what is it exactly the HOF panel looks at when they put someone in?

Fucking ridiculous.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd have to agree that Owens should be in the HOF, especially when you consider the players who are in that don't have the stats and play making ability Owens demonstrated in his playing years.

Yeah, he was a cancer to his teams and his behavior was dumbfounding at times. On the flip side, Chris Carter had huge drug problems but is still in the HOF. Others had substance abuse issues and character issues and still got in.

So, what is it exactly the HOF panel looks at when they put someone in?

Fucking ridiculous.
He was denied for the same reason Irvin was.

He's going in very soon. Hell even Marvin Harrison took three years, which if you think about it is insane.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
By the voter's criteria, Ezekiel Elliot can retire in 2020 is he has 3 more seasons just like the one he had in his rookie campaign, especially if the Cowboys win a Super Bowl in that span.

If you look at what got Terrell Davis in, Elliot can retire in 2020 because the voters are basically saying that he will have accomplished everything there is to accomplish as an NFL player by simply playing 4 great years and winning a SB in that span.

That's enough to get you to the HOF.

data

Forbes #1
By the voter's criteria, Ezekiel Elliot can retire in 2020 is he has 3 more seasons just like the one he had in his rookie campaign, especially if the Cowboys win a Super Bowl in that span.

If you look at what got Terrell Davis in, Elliot can retire in 2020 because the voters are basically saying that he will have accomplished everything there is to accomplish as an NFL player by simply playing 4 great years and winning a SB in that span.

That's enough to get you to the HOF.
yeah, look at Tiki Barber's stats, which are better. 3 seasons over 2k scrimmage yards and 5 seasons over 1800. Not saying Tiki Barber should be in, but Terrell Davis' induction makes you wonder about qualifications and over-emphasis on SB rings.

especially considering the Broncos were getting 1,000+ seasons from his replacements like Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns, Clinton Portis and Tatum Bell.

dallen

Senior Tech
yeah, look at Tiki Barber's stats, which are better. 3 seasons over 2k scrimmage yards and 5 seasons over 1800. Not saying Tiki Barber should be in, but Terrell Davis' induction makes you wonder about qualifications and over-emphasis on SB rings.

especially considering the Broncos were getting 1,000+ seasons from his replacements like Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns, Clinton Portis and Tatum Bell.
I think that is the biggest argument against Davis. For two years he was amazing. Other than that he was pretty easily replaced by Mike Anderson.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Terrell Davis is in because he was what finally pushed John Elway to a super bowl win. His career length and stats are not HOF worthy.

But even his inclusion is more acceptable to me than Lynn Swann. That SOB never broke 900 yards in a season, and has a high of 61 catches in a season. If he's in for an acrobatic catch in the super bowl, then David Tyree should join him.

data

Forbes #1
Terrell Davis is in because he was what finally pushed John Elway to a super bowl win. His career length and stats are not HOF worthy.

But even his inclusion is more acceptable to me than Lynn Swann. That SOB never broke 900 yards in a season, and has a high of 61 catches in a season. If he's in for an acrobatic catch in the super bowl, then David Tyree should join him.
Wait until Hines Ward gets in.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Wait until Hines Ward gets in.
While Hines Ward shouldn't go in, he deserves it a hell of a lot more than Swann.

Put it this way. Lynn Swann's BEST season he had 61 catches for 880 yards. Both career highs.

Cole Beasley this past season had 75 catches for 833 yards.

I look forward to Beasley's induction.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Terrell Davis is long overdue.

The HOF is about quality before longevity. Davis is in because of four great years.

So is Troy Aikman. No one GAS what Troy did before 92 or after 95.

Emmit and Irvin dominated for five years before descending into mediocrity. That's why they're in the HOF. Regarding HOF credentials, Emmitt's rushing title was an afterthought next to those five years from 91-95.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think both quality and longevity matter in equal measure. Just as you won't get in with a mediocre 20 years you also won't get in with one single great year. The question is where you think the line is.

Aside from the 2 super bowl wins, is there a real difference between Terrell Davis and Shaun Alexander?

And let's be real, Davis really had 3 seasons of greatness, and one good one. And it's not like the rest were average or mediocre, they were straight garbage (doesn't really matter why). He just doesn't belong. There isn't enough there.

data

Forbes #1
I think both quality and longevity matter in equal measure. Just as you won't get in with a mediocre 20 years you also won't get in with one single great year. The question is where you think the line is.

Aside from the 2 super bowl wins, is there a real difference between Terrell Davis and Shaun Alexander?

And let's be real, Davis really had 3 seasons of greatness, and one good one. And it's not like the rest were average or mediocre, they were straight garbage (doesn't really matter why). He just doesn't belong. There isn't enough there.
I'm on the fence with Terrell Davis. I agree that he had 3 great seasons, but only one of them were all-time. If we're gonna induct a player for just 3 seasons, all three should be all-time. Hell, Priest Holmes and Tiki Barber put up same/more all-time seasons and they get no consideration. Furthermore, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns and Mike Anderson put up productive seasons after TD's injury.

On the other hand, it's not just 2 Super Bowl games, as you put it, that distinguishes Terrell Davis. He didn't just show up in 2 games, but his entire 8-game playoff career is exceptional. 8 games = 1,140 yards (5.6 YPC), 12 TDs.

Overall, I'm not a fan of putting in a 3-great-season-RB? However, if you're going to put in one, Terrell Davis is the one to put in.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
While Hines Ward shouldn't go in, he deserves it a hell of a lot more than Swann.

Put it this way. Lynn Swann's BEST season he had 61 catches for 880 yards. Both career highs.

Cole Beasley this past season had 75 catches for 833 yards.

I look forward to Beasley's induction.
You could completely mug WRs back then. Swann would put up prolific numbers if he played under today's rules.

Top Bottom