Jerry Jones hints at Dallas Cowboys looking for quarterback of the future

BipolarFuk

Demoted
About this time every year the campaign mounts for the Cowboys to draft Tony Romo’s heir apparent.

It always ends in disappointment.

That’s about to change.

It may not be next month. But in either this draft or the next, the Cowboys are likely to select a quarterback.

It’s all about timing. Romo turns 35 next month. The organization is at the point where it needs to put its succession plan into place.

The club doesn’t have much recent experience in this area. Troy Aikman was a given. Since then, the Cowboys have drafted only three quarterbacks under the ownership of Jerry Jones. Can you name them?

That was Bill Musgrave (1991) in the fourth round, Quincy Carter (2001) in the second round and Stephen McGee (2009) in the fourth round.

“We do have to look to the future relative to quarterback,’’ Jones said. “It’s starting a time frame where a guy could come in and be a good backup.

“Look at how Romo evolved into the guy he is today. He did a little time with the clip board.’’

Cowboys quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson took a close look at Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty at the Bears’ pro day last week, and he liked what he witnessed. Petty, a local product from Midlothian, is considered by many to be the third-best quarterback in the 2015 draft. The Cowboys also scheduled a private workout with Petty in which Dallas offensive coordinator Scott Linehan was supposed to attend.

And, according to Marc Weiszer of the Athens Banner Herald, the Cowboys have scheduled a private workout this week with Georgia quarterback Hutson Mason and receiver Chris Conley.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-its-starting-a-time-frame-where-teams-looks-to-draft-a-quarterback.html/

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well, that's good to hear.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Helman: Cowboys Open To All Possibilities In Upcoming Draft, Including Quarterback

Helman: Cowboys Open To All Possibilities In Upcoming Draft, Including Quarterback

Cowboys Open To All Possibilities In Upcoming Draft, Including Quarterback

Thursday, March 26, 2015 12:51 PM CDT

By David Helman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Talk to members of the Cowboys’ front office, and it leaves the impression that nothing is off limits in next month’s NFL draft – not even quarterback.

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones shared his thoughts about the draft on Tuesday at the NFL’s annual meetings. Among several musings was the idea that it might be the right time to consider a future replacement for Tony Romo.

“We do have to look to the future relative to quarterback,” Jones said. “It’s starting a timeframe where a guy could come in and be a good backup.”

That’s not to say the Cowboys are looking for Romo’s replacement in 2015. The veteran quarterback garnered MVP consideration in 2014, and he’s under contract through the 2019 season. Jones was quick to point out, however, that Romo spent four seasons in reserve before earning a shot to start.

“Look at how Romo evolved into the guy he is today,” he said. “He did a little time with the clipboard.”

With the 27th overall pick in the draft, the Cowboys likely wouldn’t be in the running for a first-round quarterback – even if they wanted to be. But with this year’s compensatory picks being announced in Phoenix, they did learn their full, official draft order. They’ll also pick 60th, 91st, 127th, 163rd, 236th and 243rd.

That equates to one pick each in the first, second, third, fourth and fifth rounds, as well as two picks in the seventh. Jones said one of his primary focuses in this year’s draft is to find true value after the marquee rounds have finished.

“I think to really focus on lower rounds. We should really evaluate those lower rounds,” he said.
“We should feel good and I expect us to feel good about the third, fourth and fifth round picks.”

Jones already acknowledged he’ll have his eye on running backs when the Cowboys are on the clock this spring. The addition of Greg Hardy to the defensive line also doesn’t eliminate the need for pass rushers, not to mention needs on the defense’s back end – or even some less-obvious needs.

“Priorities in a sense you can take the secondary, you can take the linebacker. You can go all the way down. I would not rule out an offensive lineman under some circumstances,” he said.

As Cowboys coach Jason Garrett was quick to point out, the Cowboys have covered enough of their biggest needs in free agency that they should have freedom by drafting time. That ability proved valuable just last year in the selection of Zack Martin.

“For us to, at that point, the 16th pick of the first round, to have a guy that we regarded as the best player on the board – at a position that might not have been our No. 1 need – and to draft Zack Martin, I thought that was a really good decision by our team,” Garrett said.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Kevin Johnson, Maxx Williams, Bryce Petty first three rounds

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And, according to Marc Weiszer of the Athens Banner Herald, the Cowboys have scheduled a private workout this week with Georgia quarterback Hutson Mason
Uh, we are doing it wrong.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
“Look at how Romo evolved into the guy he is today,” he said. “He did a little time with the clipboard.”
No thanks to you, Jerry. Parcells and Payton kept him safely tucked away until he was ready. Thankfully you were too busy goofing around with the Quincy's, Hutchinsons, and Hensons of the world to care.

Otherwise you'd have thrown Romo to the wolves and he'd never have made it.

No there is too much scrutiny now and too many expectations, unlike the clearly moribund team in full rebuild mode with 24 million in dead money in the early 2000's.

This team will still have an elite Dez Bryant and OL in its prime when Romo retires in three years.

No way can they take a half-assed shot at a QB in the 6th round and convince anyone on this roster that he's their new leader.

They need a high-profile trade or to draft a 1st/2nd round stud. Then they need to fully commit to him by his sophomore season or they are lighting precious rookie contract time on fire.

Russell Wilson-- that is the new model. A little flukish he fell to the 3rd, but only because of his height. Expect a high pick, and so no way this season.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Take this for what it's worth, but I work with Bryce Petty's cousin and he said he thinks the Cowboys see him as a 4th rounder.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Take this for what it's worth, but I work with Bryce Petty's cousin and he said he thinks the Cowboys see him as a 4th rounder.
That is probably what is right for him, but I bet he goes earlier. This is a QB starved league and teams will force picks at the position.

He might go as high as the 2nd, doubt he makes it out of the 3rd.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
That is probably what is right for him, but I bet he goes earlier. This is a QB starved league and teams will force picks at the position.

So what Im hearing is that you like my three rounds....

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

Yeah, his problems aren't character related. Those are the kind of things that really drive guys down.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, his problems aren't character related. Those are the kind of things that really drive guys down.
He has a shit ton of mechanical flaws that need to be corrected.

One thing that apparently has piqued team's interest is that he's working at getting better at taking snaps under center and appears to be coachable.

He's not like Griffin coming out of the same system.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He has a shit ton of mechanical flaws that need to be corrected.

One thing that apparently has piqued team's interest is that he's working at getting better at taking snaps under center and appears to be coachable.

He's not like Griffin coming out of the same system.
I'd like for him to last till the 4th. Even with our shitty QB coach.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I see Petty as a 4th rounder, but doubt he makes it to the bottom of the round where we pick. And I definitely don't wan to take him with our 3rd.

Of course there's always the possibility we could trade down with our 1st or 2nd and end up with an extra 4th which could be used on him.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Petty in the 3rd?

I can dig it.

He needs coaching, so hopefully Romo can give us 2 more years and Petty can spend all that time developing a pro style game.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
While he may be a system guy from Baylor, the dude has talent and a good head. I wouldn't mind getting him in the 4th if we could, but I think someone takes a flyer on him sooner.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
While he may be a system guy from Baylor, the dude has talent and a good head. I wouldn't mind getting him in the 4th if we could, but I think someone takes a flyer on him sooner.
No question I think he has the arm and accuracy. It's the timing and footwork that are going to take work. Plus just getting use to normal progressions. Ideally he could go sit for a couple years and then get a chance. That will probably never happen though.

Top Bottom