Jerry Jones gets testy on radio, thinks Cowboys can approach Rams' offense

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Did you watch the Rams game? He was throwing to WRs running wide open because they were covered by LBers. Goff makes great throws but the play design gives him a lot of open guys to throw to. Cooper Kupp running against Anthony Barr deep is as easy as it comes. Goff did great but I'm still amazed how open their guys are able to get compared to ours.
This is what is maddening about Jerry and his braintrust. Terry Bradshaw commented yesterday that the Cowboys offensive philosophy completely ignores making plays in the middle of the field. you rarely see guys using rub routes or mismatches on LB'ers thru the middle of the field. That has zero to do with the talent at WR...that's Garret and Linehans shitty offensive design. Which falls back on Jerry sticking with Garrett and spewing out nonsensical shit you'd hear at the old folks home.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
This is what is maddening about Jerry and his braintrust. Terry Bradshaw commented yesterday that the Cowboys offensive philosophy completely ignores making plays in the middle of the field. you rarely see guys using rub routes or mismatches on LB'ers thru the middle of the field. That has zero to do with the talent at WR...that's Garret and Linehans shitty offensive design. Which falls back on Jerry sticking with Garrett and spewing out nonsensical shit you'd hear at the old folks home.
Yep. Seems like they don't even try to get their WRs matched up on LBs. They simply rely on the old "beat the man in front of you" formula. Creating match up mismatches are a foreign concept to these guys.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I also think the middle of the field scares the staff, they worry about it with Prescott. The whole offense is designed this way. When is the last time you saw anyone but Witten make much of a living over the middle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also think the middle of the field scares the staff, they worry about it with Prescott. The whole offense is designed this way. When is the last time you saw anyone but Witten make much of a living over the middle.
That's dumb, those passes are way easier to throw. Especially if you have average arm strength. Shorter distance and easier to see for a QB. Trying to throw 15 yards down field but out wide is way harder.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think part of it is Prescott, too. All the stories laud how interception-averse he is, how his mom hated them, etc, but I think he takes it too far. All those bodies in the middle of the field make it more risky to throw there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think part of it is Prescott, too. All the stories laud how interception-averse he is, how his mom hated them, etc, but I think he takes it too far. All those bodies in the middle of the field make it more risky to throw there.
I've seen way too many plays where no one is even running in the middle of the field to believe Daks just avoiding it.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Maybe...but isn't that why they brought Austin in? That's what he made a living on in college, matched up in space with LB'ers and Safetys who couldn't run with him. Surely to God Prescott can complete a short pass over the middle. Right? Right? :unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe...but isn't that why they brought Austin in? That's what he made a living on in college, matched up in space with LB'ers and Safetys who couldn't run with him. Surely to God Prescott can complete a short pass over the middle. Right? Right? :unsure
They are the easiest passes to complete. Dak throws them really well from what I have seen. We just don't call many of them. And most of them are thrown to Beasley who isn't exactly scary at the run after the catch stuff.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Did you watch the Rams game? He was throwing to WRs running wide open because they were covered by LBers. Goff makes great throws but the play design gives him a lot of open guys to throw to. Cooper Kupp running against Anthony Barr deep is as easy as it comes. Goff did great but I'm still amazed how open their guys are able to get compared to ours.
That isolated play by itself does not explain Goff’s insane 14.1 ypa and 5 TDs.

I’m sorry but that’s damned good and way beyond where Dak is. If Goff is merely a cog in a well-oiled machine, then it’s the biggest cog I’ve ever seen.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I’m sorry but that’s damned good and way beyond where Dak is. If Goff is merely a cog in a well-oiled machine, then it’s the biggest cog I’ve ever seen.
They got WRs on LBers more than that. The announcers pointed it out multiple times during the game for anyone who was watching the game.

What percentage of throws do you think were into tight windows in that game? Very few. Goff played tremendous but even with those ungodly numbers he missed some throws. Just shows you that even the best statistical performances aren't perfect.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

It's blatantly obvious to anyone who knows anything about football or isn't a total Dak homer, that Dak isn't anywhere close to Goff's level.

There's really nothing else to say about the matter.

Just smile, nod, and ignore when someone tries to say the only difference is coaching. They are fools.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's blatantly obvious to anyone who knows anything about football or isn't a total Dak homer, that Dak isn't anywhere close to Goff's level.

Just smile, nod, and ignore when someone tries to say the only difference is coaching. They are fools.
The funny thing is I didn't even mention Dak. But some people have a hard on. I think highly of Goff. It's not his fault that his head coach and receivers know how to get open. It's not some type of flaw in his ability that his coach schemes to get advantages. Goff does exactly what he needs to do, he runs the offense beautifully.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

I'll say it again, people who downplay Goff either don't watch him play, or judge him off his rookie year, or both. He's one of the very best passers in football.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

:happyhappy

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

p1_

DCC 4Life
I can see it, just like Jerry told me I would . Fucktard

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think next week is going to be a brutal watch. I'll consider it a small victory if they're able to score 10 on Jacksonville.

Early prediction Jax 17 Dallas 6.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think next week is going to be a brutal watch. I'll consider it a small victory if they're able to score 10 on Jacksonville.

Early prediction Jax 17 Dallas 6.
Yeah no way in hell we can run on them. Which means we'd actually need like a creative and aggressive passing attack which won't happen at all. Especially since their starting corners are way more talented than any of our offensive weapons.

If we have any chance in this game we will need Bortles to do classic Bortles stuff.

Top Bottom