Jerry Jones gets testy on radio, thinks Cowboys can approach Rams' offense

p1_

DCC 4Life
By: K.D. Drummond | September 28, 2018 1:10 pm ET

Things are not well in Cowboys Nation right now. The early signs of a fracturing team, often associated with losses that do not inspire confidence are easy to spot. They come in the form of players publicly stating they should be more involved and that the play of them or their unit is not at fault.

We’ve seen the early signs of that this week with free agent signing Allen Hurns lamenting his lowly four catches through three games and pending free agent Cole Beasley saying the wideouts are doing a good job of getting open.

When one gets a GM or owner, or in Jerry Jones’ case both, to somewhat be ruffled on his weekly radio show, these could also be considered signs of the difficulties Dallas is having in finding solutions to the early-season malaise that has continued from the second half of 2017.

On Friday, Jones joined 105.3 The Fan for an interview with hosts Mike Bascik, Gavin Dawson and Jeff Cavanaugh. Their line of questioning surrounding the awesome display of offensive football in Thursday night’s Rams-Vikings tilt is what moved things in a slightly difficult direction.

Like every other football fan, Cavanaugh and Bascik are highly impressed by what Sean McVay’s offensive plan is doing with the immense talent of third-year QB Jared Goff.

Transcript courtesy of Mark Lane.

Did you watch Rams-Vikings last night?

“No, I did not.”

What is it that you’ve seen from your guys this year that makes you think you can match that sort of offensice design? (Jeff) —

“Well, I like our offensive line the way it stacks up against the Rams, to be specific since we are comparing the Rams. But I like our offensive line. I think it’s fair to say we both have good running. The quarterback, I remember Goff when he first came in. They were kind of mov him along at a slower pace than Dak got to come in. But I know we’ve been just as proud of Dak as those that are Rams fans are proud of their quarterback. We have done that and seen it in the past.

So, when I see them executing in a way that creates the offense they’ve got, I look at our personnel, I don’t have to reach to basically see that. Well, you say, ‘But you might not have the established receiver that they have.’ Well, last year, they had Austin and we have Austin this year.

They made the trade this year and we’ve got it so I see, when I look at what we might be able to do and put my finger on personnel, and then move up to what I know we want to do with our personnel, I see that — I don’t think that it’s reaching to think that maybe we could approach that kind of productivity.

I look over on the defense. They’ve got an outstanding defense. They’ve got some pretty high-powered personnel when you think of Suh and some of the corners they’ve got. Boy, our bunch is playing pretty good too. I was with Stan Kroenke the other night in New York and was with him during the day. He was excited about the Rams. I’m excited about the Rams in Los Angeles. But when I look at what they are as a team, I have visions of being like that.”

So in a nutshell, Jones feels like the Cowboys have the better offensive line between the two teams, the fact the Rams gave up on Austin but he ‘s the Cowboys best receiver is apparently a feather in the team’s cap and that he doesn’t “think that it’s reaching to think that maybe we could approach that kind of productivity.”

The conversation would move on to other questions, most importantly about the sling-it-around mantra that Scott Linehan and Dak Prescott are saying will be Sunday’s philosophy against Detroit’s top-ranked passing defense.

What’s in store for Sunday afternoon with Linehan saying there’s new stuff and Dak says they’re going to sling it around more? —

“Well, I know this. We worked on a lot of things this spring and we worked on a lot of things in training camp. We didn’t show a lot of the things we feel we can do early. We didn’t show in our preseason. As we all know we didn’t have the combinations out there in preseason, which has gotten us criticized to some degree too. The bottom line is that certainly you would be that you and our fans haven’t seen.”

The hosts weren’t done with the comparison to the Rams and circled back around.

So, I want to go back to the Rams and the Cowboys because the Rams have been in the 30-point range. So, your expectation of the Dallas Cowboys offensive is that they start scoring in the 30-point range on a consistent basis like the Rams do? (Mike) —

“This is a perfect example, and I hope — I’m smiling at how you could take the statements I just made and develop that kind of conjecture to what I’m saying. I didn’t say that. You asked me about the Rams, how they played Thursday night. So, the whole point I’m saying is I can see similarities, I can see talent similarities, I can see the quality of player similarities with a lot of their offense.”

Okay, the reason why I said that is because I don’t see it at all, and I don’t know how much Cowboys fans see the similarities between the Rams and the Cowboys. (Mike) —

“That’s why you’re doing radio and they’re doing the coaching. My point is you’re absolutely right. I’m frustrated with that question because you put it in my mouth and I didn’t say that. What I’m saying is that if you match up us against the Rams, which happened to have played last night, then I can show you some similarities and I can answer your questions as to why Rams would even come out of my mouth.

We all know that if you do not execute, if you drop the ball, if you fumble the ball, we all know those things can dramatically change what even the teams that they’re exactly are like from doing in the third quarter.

And, so, having said that, no, I’m not saying that our team should be doing 35 points a game, 30 points a game, or anything. I’m just saying that I can look at a team like the Rams and think, ‘Oh, but for some day we might have that kind of team.’ I don’t see it that far.”

So when it comes to the struggles in the passing game, how much of that do you attribute to the quarterback play? —

“I think any time you throw the ball you’ve got to look at who’s throwing it. And, so, . So, you go over to the passer. You obviously need to look at the receiver as well, but then you get into protections. So, then you go into the front and then you can get into additional protection and you can go to your backs when they are staying down and blocking.

All of those things . But I’ve seen Dak do that. I’ve seen him make the plays and keep making them, making them at a very early .”

Jerry, your phone —

“Yeah. He was offensive player rookie of the year. So, we’ve seen him do it. And, so, that should be encouraging. That should be encouraging.”

To what extent can you share with us the things that were working on in camp that the game circumstances have not allowed you to try yet? Because I’ll just tell you specifically the things that fans and media are talking about, and again, you hit it. We’re not the coaches. But it’s things like motion before the snap, stacks and bunches, play-action. Those are like three of the things that the Rams and other forward-thinking organizations are getting credit for and they’re getting the genius tab put on them because they’re winning and they’re scoring a lot of points. You made great points about 2016 but I think those are the things Cowboys fans and the media are curious about right now, specifically with these things of the most modern football, are you working on those things, and could we expect to see them when the circumstances are right for you? (Gavin) —

“The answer is yes.”

midswat

... soon
I Hope he has a stroke and dies. Soon.

Go LIons.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I Hope he has a stroke and dies. Soon.

Go LIons.
We don't even have that to provide logical hope any more. You see, his son has had a few years to prove he is just as moronic. Next is we have to hope Charlotte has some goddamn common sense after Goof Son takes a dirt nap.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I wonder if there can be some sibling strife to work in our favor once idiot senior is taking his dirt nap.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Mark Leibovich just published a book about the NFL entitled "The Big Game." You can imagine that Jerry figures in it prominently. One of the things that stunned Leibovich was Jerry's capacity for booze. During one interview Jerry was drinking Johnnie Walker Blue from a huge glass. He went and got a refill at one point.

Leibovich's observation was that, if anything, Jerry's liver belongs in the Hall of Fame.

p1_

DCC 4Life
No wonder he’s aged so poorly, ugly fucker.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
We don't even have that to provide logical hope any more. You see, his son has had a few years to prove he is just as moronic. Next is we have to hope Charlotte has some goddamn common sense after Goof Son takes a dirt nap.
We wont outlast the Jones family.

:sad

DLK150

DCC 4Life
This is my obligatory "Jerral is a delusional moron" post. I really wish he would either STFU or DIAF.

Go Detroit, which isn't a pipe dream since this team sucks at home just as often as not.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Jerry remembers us playing them tough in the first half last year. That's all it takes.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's hard to even work up the energy to get mad anymore.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm sensing no more billboard efforts in the future.
One thing I learned during the CFR days, the idiots in our fanbase far outnumber the sensible fans. No way would I ever have the energy for that again.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
One thing I learned during the CFR days, the idiots in our fanbase far outnumber the sensible fans. No way would I ever have the energy for that again.
This is true.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dak was excellent yesterday, but Goff was otherworldly.

The Rams don’t have superstars at WR, maybe that’s what Jerry was thinking, but Goff and McVay had three of them over 100 yards.

Gurley was averaging almost 5 a clip, but it almost didn’t matter and he didn’t gain 100.

Dak totally needed Zeke’s 240 combined yards.

Rev

Staff member
I would take their WRs over ours without a hesitation. Maybe they arent superstars but they are close enough.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I would take their WRs over ours without a hesitation. Maybe they arent superstars but they are close enough.
Of course you take their WR’s, my point was Jerry looks at them and sees no one special, so he imagines we are close.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dak was excellent yesterday, but Goff was otherworldly.

The Rams don’t have superstars at WR, maybe that’s what Jerry was thinking, but Goff and McVay had three of them over 100 yards.

Gurley was averaging almost 5 a clip, but it almost didn’t matter and he didn’t gain 100.

Dak totally needed Zeke’s 240 combined yards.
Did you watch the Rams game? He was throwing to WRs running wide open because they were covered by LBers. Goff makes great throws but the play design gives him a lot of open guys to throw to. Cooper Kupp running against Anthony Barr deep is as easy as it comes. Goff did great but I'm still amazed how open their guys are able to get compared to ours.

Rev

Staff member
Of course you take their WR’s, my point was Jerry looks at them and sees no one special, so he imagines we are close.
We are on the correct page now.

Top Bottom