Jerry Jones: Dak Prescott is somewhere between Jared Goff and Cam Newton, 'You're going to see it'

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's supposed to enthuse us? Goff is a skinny question mark and Newton has always been inaccurate.
Newton is a terrible passer. His running ability is exceptional but any team that takes that away can shut down their offense.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Newton is a terrible passer. His running ability is exceptional but any team that takes that away can shut down their offense.
But somehow the Dallas D failed miserably at that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dude’ you’ve called Dak all but Jesus.
Yeah, it was tough sledding a while back to give a negative opinion or assessment about Dak. The rookie season sealed the future for the Cowboys even to the point that some felt it was in the teams best interest to sever all ties with Tony Romo rather than run a no risk plan by keeping him as a security blanket. The throw away plan now looks like it could have been in Daks best interest to have Romo around for an insurance policy. If he got reinjured nothing is lost but if he remained healthy well it probably have been a different story now. At least all resources would have been used.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It looked for a while like we had zero idea that Cam could/would run, either by design or to avoid pressure.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I notice he didn't say Dak was somewhere between Wentz and Russell Wilson.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
All jokes aside, what did Jerry even mean by this? I still have absolutely no idea.

I can almost see Newton with the running threat, but Goff is an excellent passer. Dak will never throw the ball that well.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
All jokes aside, what did Jerry even mean by this? I still have absolutely no idea.

I can almost see Newton with the running threat, but Goff is an excellent passer. Dak will never throw the ball that well.
It means right now Dak has Goff's scrambling ability and Newtons accuracy...

deadrise

DCC 4Life
The issues run so much deeper than the relative depth of the 2019 QB class.

The franchise is suffering from slow but persistent internal bleeding. A QB in the draft, assuming there was someone capable of evaluating such a QB, assuming there was someone capable of coaching such a QB, is like a band-aid. Falls pathetically short in stopping internal bleeding.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The issues run so much deeper than the relative depth of the 2019 QB class.

The franchise is suffering from slow but persistent internal bleeding. A QB in the draft, assuming there was someone capable of evaluating such a QB, assuming there was someone capable of coaching such a QB, is like a band-aid. Falls pathetically short in stopping internal bleeding.
I think McClay can draft that QB. Just goes to shit after that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think McClay can draft that QB. Just goes to shit after that.
Yeah some NFL teams are really good at taking an average QB and making them look great. We are not one of those franchises. I don't think the problem is with the QBs we bring in. It's what we do with the QBs after that. Coaches like Shannahan and McVay make me so jealous. They know how to get a defense on their heals and makes their QBs job so much easier. Our offense looks like it's stuck in mud if we can't line multiple TEs up and run for 4+ ypc every time.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Yeah some NFL teams are really good at taking an average QB and making them look great. We are not one of those franchises. I don't think the problem is with the QBs we bring in. It's what we do with the QBs after that. Coaches like Shannahan and McVay make me so jealous. They know how to get a defense on their heals and makes their QBs job so much easier. Our offense looks like it's stuck in mud if we can't line multiple TEs up and run for 4+ ypc every time.
I have been getting on Dak quite a bit, but the failure is on the coaching staff and Jerry if you want to be honest about it. I think Dak is probably a better QB than whats out on the field right now, but he doesn't have anyone to utilize his strengths. Bring Romo in as Daks QB coach and I bet he goes back to 2016 performances again.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been getting on Dak quite a bit, but the failure is on the coaching staff and Jerry if you want to be honest about it. I think Dak is probably a better QB than whats out on the field right now, but he doesn't have anyone to utilize his strengths. Bring Romo in as Daks QB coach and I bet he goes back to 2016 performances again.
I'd love to do that.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'd love to do that.
I doubt Romo would. Plus it woild probably mean Garrett is still here. I dont really have that much confidence in the front office to pick the right guy but I'm pretty sure Inwamt to clear the board.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I doubt Romo would. Plus it woild probably mean Garrett is still here. I dont really have that much confidence in the front office to pick the right guy but I'm pretty sure Inwamt to clear the board.
It won't happen. Romo makes great money for half the work right now. Or I guess it could happen but probably not for years. I think Romo will be a coach somewhere some day. His competitive nature will push him there. But he will enjoy the booth for awhile first.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Romo has no interest in being a positional coach. Long hours, no glamour, no thanks, all blame, and not much money. Wow, sign me right up instead of working 25 hours a week for millions.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Romo would never work for a spare like Garrett. One, he knows he's much smarter than Garrett. Two, he remembers Garrett selling him out in 2016.

Top Bottom