Jaworski on Colin Kaepernick

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I watched RG3 a lot during his college years and from what I saw he has a very accurate arm on down field throws.

Kaepernick appears to have more zip but when it comes to timing and accuracy I think RG3 has him beat.
That is about how I see it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
People have gotten way too out in front of these young QBs. Particularly when several of them have achieved early success in large part through gimmicky offenses.

This statement here is especially retarded.
It's hilarious.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Why would you ask a QB with his skill set to only be a pocket passer? You don't draft him without a plan in place of how to use him. He's quite good and I've seen him make a ton of big time throws already. He and his "gimmick offense" are going to be a problem for a while. I fear him much more than RG3 simply because he can stay on the field.
Defenses adapt quickly, but learning to read coverages takes years. That's why so many of these gimmick QBs fail in the NFL, even if they have a season or two of success. It's because defenses begin to confuse them and take away the primary skill that QB has: running. CK is not a terribly great passer, nor does he understand coverages. Hell, he looked shell shocked and confused in the Green Bay game when he was asked to throw the football. He only looked comfortable when he didn't have to think or read Green Bay's horrifically bad defense and just had to run. If he couldn't understand what that shell of a unit was doing, it should give anyone pause to think that he'll understand what a sophisticated defense does. For further reference, look to the first half of the Super Bowl.

So, it isn't about being a pure pocket passer as much as it is him having to learn how to read a defense so late in his football life. That takes many, many years, which is why teams are drawn to QBs who came from pro sets in college because they're more polished and more likely to have longer and more successful careers. If defenses start adapting this year to the read option (which they will) and if CK's understanding of coverages has not increased, then he'll start to regress, just like every other running QB from a gimmick offense.

Top Bottom