Is there a disconnect in the Cowboys' war room?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If you define it this way, then no NFL team stays true to their board. All teams are vulnerable to sways of emotion, fixating on specific players and positions, and reacting to moves they just never anticipated. If teams always remained perfectly true to their boards, there wouldn't be such a thing as a "run" on a position. These are human beings with livelihoods at stake and things can change in the heat of the moment.
Define it which way? That if a team takes a lower rated player over a higher rated player, they aren't true to their board? That's exactly right.

Regardless of the reason why one might do it (emotion, panic, sexual desire, etc.), taking a lower player over a higher one is not staying true to the board. And yeah, if every team does it, then every team does it.

Lotuseater

Banned
It's not even about the player, it is about having your 5th best prospect available to you and passing on him for a weak trade down. You are too busy trying to spin this into sunshines and rainbows to understand.
No, I understand the mistake perfectly. Yes, it looks retarded. However. I'm glad this particular "mistake" was on the offensive line, where help was hugely needed.

Your too busy trying to understand Jerry's unfathomable thought process to see that we just got a huge upgrade right exactly where it was needed. Who gives a shit how he's here. Jerry makes those mistakes every year and it usually gets us a project player.

Make no mistake, the most glaring need going into the draft was offensive line.

Carp

DCC 4Life
No, I understand the mistake perfectly. Yes, it looks retarded. However. I'm glad this particular "mistake" was on the offensive line, where help was hugely needed.

Your too busy trying to understand Jerry's unfathomable thought process to see that we just got a huge upgrade right exactly where it was needed. Who gives a shit how he's here. Jerry makes those mistakes every year and it usually gets us a project player.

Make no mistake, the most glaring need going into the draft was offensive line.
So you are basically going with the "nothing to see here, move along" approach. Props. I wonder how you would have approached this topic if say Warmack or Cooper had slipped down, but we passed on them for a weak trade down? Would you be waving your pom poms then? I'll go with yes.

No one would disagree the OL was a huge need, but the DL, particularly the DT is a huge need as well. I mean we are counting on a broken down Ratliff, an out of position Hatcher, Lissemore, and a collection of JAGs. Not enticing at all.

You should give a shit about the dysfunction between the GM, coaches, and scouting staff. They need to be on the same page and clearly they were not.

Lotuseater

Banned
No doubt there was a huge mistake/disconnect/stupid trade, etc. There is every year. I care very much that Jerry is a moron and somehow manages to bring the suck to the surface in almost everyone involved with his organization, in one way or another. I cant stand the way this "family" runs this franchise.

After watching this team for the past 27 years, however, I have learned to see the silver lining in his buffoonery, where I can. In this case, we got a highly ranked player exactly where I personally thought we needed help the most. If Cooper or Warmack had been taken with the 18th, or even moved up slightly for, I would have been ecstatic.

If we had taken Floyd then Warford with the 2nd rounder, I would have been ecstatic. DL and OL were my personal highest rated needs, but we desperately needed a true difference maker on the interior of the O-line, not a flashy corner, or overrated safety or a fricking TE....Eifert at 18 would have been a disaster although some here have advocated it over what was done, which I cant understand.

Bottom line, we got the difference maker we needed on the O-line, and who knows how good Terance Williams will be? Though id say the Floyd, Warford 1st and 2nd picks would have been ideal, to my mind, if I were doing the choosing, and screw Escobar. Hanna is a more dynamic pairing with Witten anyway, in terms of 2 TE set. Hanna runs a 4.5, and plays like Jimmy Graham. He needs to see the field more. Mismatch nightmare for almost any safety.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Define it which way? That if a team takes a lower rated player over a higher rated player, they aren't true to their board? That's exactly right.

Regardless of the reason why one might do it (emotion, panic, sexual desire, etc.), taking a lower player over a higher one is not staying true to the board. And yeah, if every team does it, then every team does it.
Every team does it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Wait, so not taking your #5 player over your #22 player is not sticking with your board, but in a scenario where you get ho'ed in a trade-down is sticking with your board?

Genghis Khan

Wait, so not taking your #5 player over your #22 player is not sticking with your board, but in a scenario where you get ho'ed in a trade-down is sticking with your board?

Who said they stuck to their board by trading down? A trade down is a trade down, it has nothing to do with sticking with your board. By trading down, they didn't stick to their board or not stick to their board. It's a different thing.

Genghis Khan

So judging a team solely based on how fiercely they stick to their board doesn't make much sense.

Not true.

It's not an absolute thing.

Some teams deviate from their board way more than others.

I'd personally prefer a team to be strict to their board, but it's relative. There's plenty of sense behind it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Who said they stuck to their board by trading down? A trade down is a trade down, it has nothing to do with sticking with your board. By trading down, they didn't stick to their board or not stick to their board. It's a different thing.
Yeah, I don't know why I posted that. After I posted it I knew you would say that and I would disagree. We are running in circles.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Not true.

It's not an absolute thing.

Some teams deviate from their board way more than others.

I'd personally prefer a team to be strict to their board, but it's relative. There's plenty of sense behind it.
Would you advocate sticking to your board if it meant taking the same position in rounds 1-4? I personally wouldn't.

Genghis Khan

Would you advocate sticking to your board if it meant taking the same position in rounds 1-4? I personally wouldn't.

In that extremely unlikely event, I doubt it. I would probably try to trade out of a couple of the picks. Depends on the position though.

That's always the hypothetical when people try to discredit BPA. It's a red herring.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
In that extremely unlikely event, I doubt it. I would probably try to trade out of a couple of the picks. Depends on the position though.

That's always the hypothetical when people try to discredit BPA. It's a red herring.
I think we all agree that BPA is important, the board is important, and while you can't always 100% adhere to your board, you should try.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I've participated in a number of mock drafts with high grades and I've had to adjust my board to keep from drafting too many of one position. I won't draft a third rounder that may not make the team or may not play for three years. Taking into account the players I have under contract that I can't dump or won't be dumping, and how many spots I have or will have open is just smart asset management.

Top Bottom