Interesting Article on Tony Romo...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Distance

By Mike Pielluci

No one is surprised anymore when Tony Romo screws up. Not really, not seven seasons into the accumulation of a lowlight reel that is spectacular, in the word's most literal sense.

Some over-caffeinated announcer usually has the courtesy to bellow his way through a call of feigned bemusement whenever it does happen, but he's seen the fumble in Seattle and the interception in Washington, and the other snippets of Romo's inadvertent ingenuity in these situations; he doesn't shock easily. The announcer knows what we all know, which is that crushing, often reckless failures occasionally arrive in concert with the frenzied, hopscotched mania that has made Romo into one of the league's premier statistical quarterbacks, while doubling as one of its least protected.

In a more charitable world, that would be classified as taking the good with the bad. Cowboys fans could be -- and, for a half-decade after Troy Aikman's retirement, were -- at the mercy of far sloppier hands. But that's not how things work in our inflamed news cycle, and so instead, the same hackneyed conversations cycle back to the forefront, with talking heads yammering on about Romo's clutch gene, while radio shock jocks splice his golf scores and playoff record together, as a supposed barometer of work ethic. The ledger of his celebrity dalliances, so meticulously kept and curated, will be dusted off and recited for added measure. It is exhausting to listen to; it is also the only vein of thought anyone has about Romo anymore. And none of that is likely to change, not for a 33-year-old who's freshly dead-bolted to a mediocre roster with a shiny new contract.

That isn't to say that Romo doesn't still have pockets of support within the Cowboys fan base; he does, particularly among numbers-savvy fans who can contextualize and appreciate his considerable production. But those corners pale in comparison to the almost universal acclaim he held in those halcyon early days, after taking over the starting job, when he was just an undrafted rookie from a no-name school who made good. Part of that was inevitable, once anything concrete was drudged up to weigh against that spotless Cinderella narrative, but to disrupt things to their current extent -- one in which his failures are pilloried as loudly as Jerry Jones' on the public's list of scapegoats -- takes something considerably larger.

Tony Romo's problem lies in who he is and, more importantly, where he plays.

Whenever a prominent athlete relocates to Dallas, his arrival is always accompanied by buzz but hardly ever any subtext. There is no speculation about how the player will take to the city -- the way we question a player's capacity to assimilate to New York's relentless uber-wattage, or Boston's pressurized hemotoxins, or Philadelphia's pathologically want-driven climate -- because Dallas is so busy attempting to be something else that it's yet to figure out what it actually is.

Having lived there for most of my life, I know what it fancies itself as: an evolving amalgam of Texas traditionalism and Los Angeles refinement.

But among those looking from afar (and sometimes from within, too), it succeeds at neither, its authenticity gradually whittled away by the Faustian bargain it made to import chic modernization. That view sustains itself not only throughout other parts of Texas, but also among neighboring parts of the Metroplex, with Fort Worth and Arlington -- site of the Jerry Dome -- ascribing parts of their own identities to retaining the humble practicality that Dallas relinquished long ago.

Dallas willingly and proudly aspires to be something more than just Texan. An exponentially larger part of the Cowboys fan base lives in places outside Dallas' haughty exclusivity -- in Fort Worth, Arlington, Longview and Terrell, plus some parts of Dallas itself. And it's indisputable that their favorite team's quarterback becomes decreasingly like them, the longer he lives among the city's privileged sons.

To be fair to Romo, this doesn't entail much beyond burrowing behind velvet ropes and a phalanx of public relations lemmings, the way star athletes usually do. It's hardly the most prurient behavior, and even if it were, it has become ubiquitous to the point of mundane in high society.

The only reason it is exceptional in Romo's case is because he once was the exception, someone who took homeless guys to the movies and fixed pedestrians' flat tires, with the expressed desire that it not be reported at all. A friend taking in a Friday night movie several years ago arrived to find Romo sitting in the middle of the theater, Jessica Simpson to his left, casually exchanging pleasantries with whoever felt like saying hello; for a while, everyone knew someone with a story like that. Those tales didn't make Romo accessible, per se, but they certainly helped him achieve an air of relatability, a window into how the other side lives that anyone could peer into, if they were in the right place at the right time.

Those stories are sparse now, replaced with mass-broadcasted accounts of his jet-setting to Mexico, and enough leaked, salacious details to propel his wedding into the hottest social event in the city last summer. Once ably identified by his backwards hat, Romo more often now is spotted in designer suits, the everyman-cum-pseudo-celebrity. And there is nothing wrong with this, no mandate that he continue to tithe a portion of himself to the outside world, certainly not when he cuts million-dollar checks to charity and, by most accounts, comports himself with the same congeniality as ever in the now-infrequent moments when he is spotted. Nevertheless, it creates a perception that there is now a barrier to entry to Tony Romo the person, the way there is with Dallas the city, as more money and glitz wash over them both -- and, juxtaposed against the team's playoff record with him under center, that such flash is woefully bereft of substance.

That last bit is key. Tom Brady's ho-hum metamorphosis into an Ugg-encrusted supermodel sidepiece is proof enough that fandom is a bottom-line business -- hardly anyone would care about Romo being relatable if he delivered a fistful of Super Bowl rings. But he hasn't, and so they do. It isn't even a matter of his being outright disliked, so much as, with fewer commonalities between them, the average Cowboy fan no longer finds it worth the frustration to wade into the bloviating muck to defend Romo. It's much easier to side with the torches and pitchforks when you have little invested in the person they're marching against. Even Latino fans don't rally around him the way one might expect for a player named Antonio Ramiro Romo -- grandson of Mexican immigrants who settled in the heart of Tejano country -- not to the degree that they have for Orange County-bred Mark Sanchez. Some people, by virtue of his looks and abbreviated first name, still don't know that Romo is Hispanic at all, and Romo never really bothers to correct anyone, nor publicly extend an olive branch to the Latino community as Sanchez has on numerous occasions. When ESPN Dallas' Todd Archer caught up with him during Hispanic Heritage Month, Romo deftly conveyed his appreciation for the Cowboys' Latino fans without internalizing it, detachment swallowing up whatever message he may have had.

"The Cowboys have such a strong Hispanic fan base, you can't help but see the number of fans that support us at training camp and through the year," Romo said. "It's awesome to be part of a team that gets that support, and I just really appreciate the support they give us."

Questions about Romo's earnestness have always dogged him, but his image used to be marred only by his results on the football field. Now, it's mangled by the distance he keeps away from it.

In his latest attempt to absolve himself of blame for the Cowboys' bloated underachievement, Jerry Jones has resorted to trolling his quarterback.

He does so by imploring Romo to put in "Peyton Manning-type time on the job," ostensibly to shine a light on Manning's inhuman prep work, but with the obvious implication of stoking flames that never lack for kindling. Yet the strange thing about painting Romo as a poor man's Manning is that he's a more convincing, similarly lacking portrait of Manning's arch-rival Brady, sans the titles and with a less famous wife. Each comparison fits, though surely not in the way Romo would like; he'd much rather be seen as having Manning's wits and Brady's charisma than the former's yips and the latter's peccadillos.

But then, a lot of this probably hasn't played out the way Romo thought it would. In good ways, certainly, what with such a pedestrian advent to his career after a nondescript life before that; thousands of athletes dispense the tripe of never imagining they'd be here but, in his case, you'd forgive him for believing exactly that. Yet it's hard to imagine Tony Romo -- jovial native of small-town Wisconsin, anonymous doer of good deeds, decent enough guy -- ever conceiving of so many people taking pleasure in watching him fail, as much for the sheer magnitude as the ferocity.

There are ways to amend that, although it's difficult to envision the most all-encompassing -- winning a Super Bowl -- happening in the autumn of his career. Most of the others involve a peeling back of the curtains he's drawn, to reconnect with the parts of Dallas that adored him not too long ago. Doing so would attract attention, though, and given that Romo was low key then and is almost furtive now, I doubt that's what he wants.

And so all that's left, both for Romo and for the city in which he plays, is more forward progress, more repaving into something smoother and grander and bolder. But like all development, that growth comes at a cost.

Mike Piellucci is a freelance writer from Dallas based in Los Angeles. You can follow him on Twitter at @MikeLikesSports.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Strange article. Almost all bluster and no substance. Directed more towards TMZ audiences.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The only real hope this team had under Romo was pouring resources into the OL, which would have made the offense nearly unstoppable.

Imagine an OL of

Tyron Smith
Carl Nicks (instead of Carr)
Travis Frederick
David DeCastro (instead of Claiborne)
Mike Adams (instead of Claiborne)

.... heading into this season. With Romo, Murray, Bryant, Witten, and Austin.

Your DB depth chart could still be Scandrick and Jenkins back on a "prove it" contract, supplemented by lots and lots of depth in the form of cheaper signees like Tracy Porter, Willie Middleton, Bryant McFadden, Kelly Jennings, Sean Smith, Cary Williams, or even Charles Woodson. More than enough at CB.

Last edited:

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
What I gleaned reading this is that Tony Romo is the original white hispanic. And the author thinks people would cut him more slack if he didn't live the extravagant lifestyle of virtually every other successful NFL player.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The only real hope this team had under Romo was pouring resources into the OL, which would have made the offense nearly unstoppable.

Imagine an OL of

Tyron Smith
Carl Nicks (instead of Carr)
Travis Frederick
David DeCastro (instead of Claiborne)
Mike Adams (instead of Claiborne)

.... heading into this season. With Romo, Murray, Bryant, Witten, and Austin.

Your DB depth chart could still be Scandrick and Jenkins back on a "prove it" contract, supplemented by lots and lots of depth in the form of cheaper signees like Tracy Porter, Willie Middleton, Bryant McFadden, Kelly Jennings, Sean Smith, Cary Williams, or even Charles Woodson. More than enough at CB.
Neither of these guys has proven shit and Claiborne outplayed them both last year. tap the brakes a bit before you claim those guys are the answer.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Claiborne made a definite impact last year and hopefully he's poised to take it to the next level this year.

I didn't like trading so high to get him, but everything since the moment he was picked has been great for Dallas. I was surprised by how well he played against the Giants. The Dallas corners exceeded expectations in both 2012 Giants games, especially when compared with 2011.

Claiborne made a play that might have won the Saints game for Dallas had Jimmy Graham not been able to outrun the rest of the Cowboy defense to the football. You can see him in the thick of things and always going for the ball, and that gives me hope he'll play the ball in the air better as the game slows down for him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not saying Claiborne is a bad player, but 2 quality OLs will trump a DB unless he's Deion Sanders - Darrelle Revis - Champ Bailey. And maybe even then depending on how good the OLs are.

I'll take the OLs at this point. I'd trade the Steelers Claiborne for Adams and DeCastro straight up.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Article about Romo...let's talk about CBs!

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm not saying Claiborne is a bad player, but 2 quality OLs will trump a DB unless he's Deion Sanders - Darrelle Revis - Champ Bailey. And maybe even then depending on how good the OLs are.

I'll take the OLs at this point. I'd trade the Steelers Claiborne for Adams and DeCastro straight up.
What have Adams and Decastro done to be considered quality? they both struggled and mainly started due to injuries.

You sure get enamored with predraft rankings instead of looking at actual play, I am not saying they can't become quality guys, but based on last year they are not upgrades.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

By that logic though, two players nearly always trump one player. It's not like Dallas went into the season with only 52 players because they spent two picks on Claiborne. Besides you really can't compare different positions that way.

I think in 2012 Claiborne + an average G + an average OT >> average CB + DeCastro + Adams-- mainly because DeCastro was a fat 0 for most of the year. That's the real comparison. Your real problem is with Jerry, who couldn't find even an average G and RT and instead fielded the worst pairing in the NFL.

Frankly I think Dallas loses the first week of the year without Claiborne (especially given Jenkins' injury) while DeCastro did absolutely jack shat for Pittsburgh being injured nearly the entire season and playing average the few games he did play (while adjusting to "the power" of the NFL).

Claiborne and DeCastro each used up 1/4th of their rookie contracts, and basically the Steelers got nothing from DeCastro while Claiborne played strong for Dallas from day one. With only four year contracts for 1st round picks, DeCastro will have to become a perennial pro-bowler the next three years to make up for completely blowing his rookie season.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
I never understood the DeCastro lovefest. His tape did not show the slamdunk pick some were claiming him to be

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What have Adams and Decastro done to be considered quality? they both struggled and mainly started due to injuries.

You sure get enamored with predraft rankings instead of looking at actual play, I am not saying they can't become quality guys, but based on last year they are not upgrades.
It would be practically impossible not to be upgrades over last year and they are both very quality prospects who should turn into solid players very soon. DeCastro missed most of the year with a bad knee injury, so there's that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
By that logic though, two players nearly always trump one player.
Well two solid ones usually trump one solid one. But in this case it's amplified because of the position Claiborne plays and the position we are comparing it to, OL.

It's like two opposite ends of the spectrum. CB is one of the least important positions, OL one of the most important.

It's not like Dallas went into the season with only 52 players because they spent two picks on Claiborne.
Don't be dumb. We spent two very premium assets on Claiborne. We were short a draft pick. We didn't go into the season with "just 52 players" because we added one somewhere else to make up for the lack of a 2nd round pick we had, but that's still a bad exchange.

I think in 2012 Claiborne + an average G + an average OT >> average CB + DeCastro + Adams-- mainly because DeCastro was a fat 0 for most of the year. That's the real comparison. Your real problem is with Jerry, who couldn't find even an average G and RT and instead fielded the worst pairing in the NFL.
Well, DeCastro tore up his knee, so that puts a big asterisk next to his name, but I'd still take the chances on him. I'd bet Mike Adams becomes a solid RT as well.

But since all you need at CB is an average player, your above formula is way off, just generally speaking.

With only four year contracts for 1st round picks, DeCastro will have to become a perennial pro-bowler the next three years to make up for completely blowing his rookie season.
Uh, that makes no sense.

You mean the Steelers will be upset at the pick if he is merely very good and not a Pro Bowler for the next three years? No.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Being at least average at every position is as important as finding difference-makers, because below-average play turns every opponent into a difference-maker. Unfortunately Dallas had 3-4 below average players on the OL.

Jerry invested too much into the CB position and comparatively much less at OL where there was an equal need to improve. That's all true, but the real problem is not Claiborne, it's the systemic inability to scout and find even semi-talented offensive linemen.

Introducing DeCastro into the discussion is a fail, because DeCastro ended up being a bust as a first round pick. If everyone somehow could have had prescient knowledge that he'd struggle and then blow his knee, he'd have fallen well into the later rounds and maybe even out of the 2012 draft.

DeCastro "fell" to begin with because NFL teams knew better than any crazy-predicting draft publication exactly how good he was. After his injury in hindsight, it's absolutely clear he wasn't worth the 24th pick in the draft. Riley Reiff, taken a pick earlier, is becoming a cornerstone in Detroit. Pittsburgh got nothing from DeCastro.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Introducing DeCastro into the discussion is a fail, because DeCastro ended up being a bust as a first round pick.
:lol :lol :lol

Calling a rookie who missed most of the season with a knee injury a "bust" already is straight up retarded.

If everyone somehow could have had prescient knowledge that he'd struggle and then blow his knee, he'd have fallen well into the later rounds and maybe even out of the 2012 draft.
Ravid, you are generally a smart guy, but you post some real dumb statements sometimes. Yeah, he "struggled" all the way into the third preseason game, which, by the way, he was starting in.

BUST!!!! ROOKIES WHO AREN'T GREAT BY PRESEASON GAME THREE ARE ALL BUSTS!!!

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Hyperbole aside, he's not a career bust, but definitely as a first round pick.

He's certainly not worth the pick the Steelers spent. It sucks, you can't blame them for making the pick, but the reality of a four year contract is when you blow an entire year your contract ceiling is only 3/4 what it could have been. Had anyone known in advance he'd mess up his knee he'd have fallen into the 4th round to a team with an extra pick like Marcus Lattimore did with the 49ers.

The situation is identical, except the 49ers spent a 4th while Pittsburgh burned a 1st. Ouch.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
homers: "You'll miss him when he's gone!"

Not if he doesn't win anything of consequence, I won't." Steve Pelluer didn't make me wistful for Danny White.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Hyperbole aside, he's not a career bust, but definitely as a first round pick.
It is entirely stupid to say that a player with first round talent unequivocably is a bust after 1 season, and that season was cut short by a knee injury as well.

Plenty of guys have had less than stellar first years and then gone on to be All Pros.

Your position here is really dumb.

He's certainly not worth the pick the Steelers spent. It sucks, you can't blame them for making the pick, but the reality of a four year contract is when you blow an entire year your contract ceiling is only 3/4 what it could have been. Had anyone known in advance he'd mess up his knee he'd have fallen into the 4th round to a team with an extra pick like Marcus Lattimore did with the 49ers.
Again, stupid. So you are saying any player who gets injured "isn't worth the pick"? Well he got injured, dude, it's completely random. How do we know a different player they would have taken wouldn't have gotten injured? Or that if DeCastro was drafted one pick earlier or one pick later, he would have been injured? He wouldn't have been in the game where he received the freak injury then. That's just luck of the draw and has no bearing on whether he's a bust or not.

The situation is identical, except the 49ers spent a 4th while Pittsburgh burned a 1st. Ouch.
It's not at all the same, Lattimore had two ridiculous knee injuries PRIOR to the draft, which is why he fell, DeCastro had none.

I am not about to go back and say I'm upset that we signed Tony Romo to an extension in 2007 because he ended up missing one of those years due to injury in 2010!!! Dumb.

Top Bottom