INSIDER: Have LVE and Jaylon Smith made Sean Lee disposable?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Good call, Dallas Cowboys.

It feels like only yesterday when the organization was raked over the coals for choosing linebacker Leighton Vander Esch with the 19th-overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, many wanting the Cowboys to select a wide receiver like Calvin Ridley instead. Feeling at the time that they were set to go at wideout, having signed both Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson to deals, they chose to fill a less-publicized but equally grievous need at the LB position instead. For while they would be without Dez Bryant going forward, they had already lost Anthony Hitchens to free agency and the injury bug on Sean Lee had again appeared in 2017.

Lee would miss a total of five games, and the team went 1-4 in his absence.

That means they essentially had two voids to fill for 2019 and beyond, and with one pick, Vander Esch providing both a replacement for Hitchens and insurance for Lee. Flash forward to Oct. 17 and Lee has now missed three of the first six games, predictably thrusting the rookie into the starting role and the corresponding limelight.

The Cowboys are 2-1 without Lee on the field in 2018.

All Vander Esch has done so far is tie with Jaylon Smith for a team high tackle tally, racking up 50 overall (41 of them being solo), and in only three starts plus initial rotational duty. Smith is on fire himself, playing at an All-Pro level -- for perspective -- having fewer solo takedowns (31) but four tackles for loss that include three sacks, making him a weapon in both blitz and coverage packages. The naysayers on the Vander Esch pick are now put out to pasture, and Smith is no stranger to such himself, having been routinely labeled an egregious choice as a 34th-overall pick.

And yet here they both are, dominating NFL offenses and making the absence of Lee negligible when it's been anything but prior to 2018 -- also giving a keen glimpse into what life post-Lee will look like. The two are both 20 tackles ahead of cornerbacks Byron Jones and Chidobe Awuzie, both tied for third-most with 30 a piece. They both have as many pass deflections as Awuzie and Smith is second behind only DeMarcus Lawrence in sacks, besting a slew of talented defensive linemen that include Randy Gregory, Maliek Collins, Antwaun Woods, Tyrone Crawford, Daniel Ross and Taco Charlton.

In short, the Cowboys haven't seen a LB tandem this talented since Dat Nguyen and Dexter Coakley in the early 2000's, and if you're wondering how a returning Lee will fit into all of this -- it's simple:

He's Darren Hambrick ...without the character issues.

Considering Lee is set to hit the salary cap for $11 million in 2018 and $10 million in 2019, without a reduction in pay, he may ironically find himself in Hambrick's shoes circa 2001. Nguyen was selected in the third round of the 1999 draft and hit the ground running, helping to push Hambrick -- an incumbent starter -- out a couple seasons later due to contract disputes, among other reasons that you'd never attribute to Lee.

"What do voluntary mean?", for example, are words the All-Pro would never fathom uttering. Lee's also never had off-the-field issues, but the back end of his on-the-field career could very well end with a similar time arc.

After all, those are hefty sums to pay a player who can't stay healthy for more than a few games at a time.

Re-focusing on the now, Lee will regain his starting role whenever he returns to the field, with a strong chance of it happening in Week 7 against the Washington Redskins unless the Cowboys choose to give him two additional weeks off via the following bye -- but don't expect Vander Esch to play second string snaps. He'll still land a fair share of reps between both the WILL (weak side) and SAM (strong side) positions, having proven it's a bad idea to take him off of the field anymore than necessary. With Smith the incumbent and unequivocal MIKE (middle) LB, base 4-3 packages will see variations of all three on the field at the same time, while the nickel will see Vander Esch and Lee rotating. And, yes, the Cowboys will shave some of the reps on the latter.

It'll be for his own protection given how many games are left to be played, while also keeping Vander Esch growing at a rapid pace.

Translation: Smart football.

"For a rookie to be able to handle as much of the reads and to play as clean as he's played, it's not easy as a rookie," said Lee of his eventual successor, via Kate Hairopoulos of The Dallas Morning News. "He's made it look easy."

For a player who was compared to Bobby Carpenter and another who was told he'd never play another down of football, Vander Esch and Smith are now the future at the position, and it's so bright you have to wear shades. Both have exceedingly high praise for each other, and the coaching staff don't know where they'd be without either right now, two key reasons why the Cowboys' defense is one of the best in the NFL -- and No. 1 in the NFC.

Cowboys - 2. Draftniks - 0.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Not disposable, but it does make it easier to swallow when he is hurt.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Maybe it’s because Smith overshadows him, but I don’t think LVE looks as great as this article makes him sound. He has looked lost in pass coverage and I don’t see all the speed everyone was so hyped about.

I know he is a rookie, so there’s a high ceiling there I’m sure but I don’t think he’s a Jaylon Smith.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Maybe it’s because Smith overshadows him, but I don’t think LVE looks as great as this article makes him sound. He has looked lost in pass coverage and I don’t see all the speed everyone was so hyped about.

I know he is a rookie, so there’s a high ceiling there I’m sure but I don’t think he’s a Jaylon Smith.
Do you remember how lost Jaylon Smith looked last year?

Or how poor Myles Jack was as a rookie?

Or how bad the run defense was last year with Lee out and our LB's running all over the place like chickens with their heads cut off?

That's why what LVE is doing is extremely impressive. He isn't playing as fast right now as he will by Year 2 or 3 but he's still very fundamentally sound in terms of tackling and assignment, and he's making a bunch of very solid plays.

I'm not sure why you say he looks lost in coverage, he's been generally solid and has shown the ability to somewhat stay with WR's deep downfield. He was right in the face of the WR about 25 yards downfield on the Heath INT last week also, he didn't get his head turned to the ball but you aren't going to find many LB's who can get downfield that effectively period, let alone do it while also getting their head turned to the ball.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Do you remember how lost Jaylon Smith looked last year?

Or how poor Myles Jack was as a rookie?

Or how bad the run defense was last year with Lee out and our LB's running all over the place like chickens with their heads cut off?

That's why what LVE is doing is extremely impressive. He isn't playing as fast right now as he will by Year 2 or 3 but he's still very fundamentally sound in terms of tackling and assignment, and he's making a bunch of very solid plays.

I'm not sure why you say he looks lost in coverage, he's been generally solid and has shown the ability to somewhat stay with WR's deep downfield. He was right in the face of the WR about 25 yards downfield on the Heath INT last week also, he didn't get his head turned to the ball but you aren't going to find many LB's who can get downfield that effectively period, let alone do it while also getting their head turned to the ball.
I do remember the players you talk about, and that's why I put the caveat in there about him being a rookie. The lone touchdown pass against Jacksonville which was LVE's man...he was a good 10 yards behind the WR because he took a bad angle.

He's also had trouble hanging with TE's. That's the speed I'm talking about.

I'm not down on the guy, but the Cowboys were so excited because of how fast and what a playmaker LVE was. A lot of it is because he's a rookie, but I question some of the hype points the Cowboys were so pumped up about.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do remember the players you talk about, and that's why I put the caveat in there about him being a rookie. The lone touchdown pass against Jacksonville which was LVE's man...he was a good 10 yards behind the WR because he took a bad angle.
LVE was covering Dede Westbrook on the play you're talking about. I went back and watched it there was literally a yard or two separation between LVE and Westbrook. But Brown and Jeff Heath had the over the top coverage on that play I'm assuming. Since they were both over top of the play and covering no one. I don't think that was on LVE at all but I could be wrong.

It's the 5:00 minute mark on if you want to go back and watch it again.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Video unavailable
This video contains content from NFL, who has blocked it from display on this website or application.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
LVE was covering Dede Westbrook on the play you're talking about. I went back and watched it there was literally a yard or two separation between LVE and Westbrook. But Brown and Jeff Heath had the over the top coverage on that play I'm assuming. Since they were both over top of the play and covering no one. I don't think that was on LVE at all but I could be wrong.

Yea that's what I'm saying, LVE was in coverage but I'm 100% god damn sure that he wasn't in Man 1 on 1 vs. a WR. It was a deep middle zone drop and from what I can tell Brown was in Cover-3 so he had the deep 3rd on that side of the field so when the ball was in the air he came off his WR and was in perfect position but fell.

I was at the game and sat in that corner of the field and I actually thought it was going to be a INT with the type of coverage Brown was in but he tripped and LVE was trailing by a yard or two. I actually think LVE's coverage was very good for the Zone he was in and the Heath INT a few plays later actually looked to be the exact same coverage with LVE in a deep middle/Byron in Cover-3 and Heath over the top, just to the other side of the field.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Video unavailable
This video contains content from NFL, who has blocked it from display on this website or application.
Yeah stupid youtube, you have to go to their site to watch it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea that's what I'm saying, LVE was in coverage but I'm 100% god damn sure that he wasn't in Man 1 on 1 vs. a WR. It was a deep middle zone drop and from what I can tell Brown was in Cover-3 so he had the deep 3rd on that side of the field so when the ball was in the air he came off his WR and was in perfect position but fell.

I was at the game and sat in that corner of the field and I actually thought it was going to be a INT with the type of coverage Brown was in but he tripped and LVE was trailing by a yard or two. I actually think LVE's coverage was very good for the Zone he was in and the Heath INT a few plays later actually looked to be the exact same coverage with LVE in a deep middle/Byron in Cover-3 and Heath over the top, just to the other side of the field.
Yeah I thought the same thing when I watched it live. I was wondering what in the hell happened to Brown. Should have been an easy play for him to either breakup or intercept.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah I thought the same thing when I watched it live. I was wondering what in the hell happened to Brown. Should have been an easy play for him to either breakup or intercept.
Brown has had several of those.

UncleMilti

Staff member

That vid doesn't show what I'm talking about. Westbrook slowed down along the sideline, and Bortles was late delivering the ball. LVE caught up with him by the time Bortles saw Westbrook. When Westbrook crossed over the field to the sideline is where LVE took a bad angle and was trailing Westbrook badly. Romo is the one who pointed it out.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Also, the WR was on the other side of the offense, where Jaylon Smith was lined up. And there was a DB lined up on him. (couldn't tell who it was) The DB peeled of to the flat in zone, and the WR broke behind Smith, that's when LVE turned to trail the WR. I don't know if that was a broken coverage, but it seems strange if a receiver on the other side of the field would be LVE's responsibility at the snap. And like you said, even with that LVE was still just a step behind him with two other defenders deep.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Also, the WR was on the other side of the offense, where Jaylon Smith was lined up. And there was a DB lined up on him. (couldn't tell who it was) The DB peeled of to the flat in zone, and the WR broke behind Smith, that's when LVE turned to trail the WR. I don't know if that was a broken coverage, but it seems strange if a receiver on the other side of the field would be LVE's responsibility at the snap. And like you said, even with that LVE was still just a step behind him with two other defenders deep.
I think LVE is just in a deep middle zone and is probably just running with the nearest WR in the vicinity after he drops.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think LVE is just in a deep middle zone and is probably just running with the nearest WR in the vicinity after he drops.
Makes sense, but just seems strange. By strange, I mean asking your LB to keep up with a WR that had a ten yard running start when they're starting from standing still. It didn't look like LVE dropped at the snap, but only when the WR cleared Smith. Maybe that was just LVE reacting too slow. Hard to know unless we know what the defensive call was.

Top Bottom