Hypothetical Question: Post-Romo

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I will go off of the win now that Jerry has exhibited over the last 10 years and go with him going for the vet. Jerry has shown that he will go vet versus young too many times at the position to discount it happening again.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The question becomes will he have to have a rock star QB staring him in the face or will just a pretty decent prospect do?
I don't think a pretty decent prospect does it and if its top 10 it would not do it for me either, I say never reach for a QB.

Now I do see him taking some flyers from the 2nd round on down hoping to get somebody on the cheap.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I will go off of the win now that Jerry has exhibited over the last 10 years and go with him going for the vet. Jerry has shown that he will go vet versus young too many times at the position to discount it happening again.
I think both happens too much young talent for him to start over, I could see him going with a vet and then hoping to find a Wilson in the draft.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think both happens too much young talent for him to start over, I could see him going with a vet and then hoping to find a Wilson in the draft.
In this scenario, that's what I'm afraid of. If Romo is truly gone, I'm afraid he will go vet again and again, waiting for that superstar. I just hope he doesn't go that route. Draft high, and take your chances.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
On the other hand Jerry is a monkey see, monkey do kind of guy, he'll look around the league and see Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick, etc. having early success and he will want to emulate that.

We might not take a guy with a top 10 pick if that is where we end up, but I'm almost certain we would take a guy in the first 2 rounds.

Hell, we were in love with Dalton in the 2nd and that was damn near 5 years ago.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
If.Promo is hurt this year and the season is tanked, we would likely end up with a top 10 pick. I would love to see them trade up to get an elite QB if one is available in draft.

The recent 1st round OL picks would be perfect for a young guy to mature with.

If they were willing to trade up for frikkin Claiborne they should go all in IF there's a worthy QB.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I'm going to hazard a guess that the most likely scenario is not that we go 15-1, with Romo suffering a career-ender before game 16. More likely is the Romo out = team tanking-type season, meaning Garrett too is gone.

So then the new coach becomes the likely determining factor. If it's a puppet, then I think Jones would most likely go the young washout route, and Locker would be a horrifically likely choice. Maybe even Pryor if he shakes loose from Seattle. Again, coming off a likely bad season, Jones will feel the pressure to sell some sizzle, and if he can do it on the cheap, so much the better.

If it's a real coach, you have to factor in their ego/comfort issues, like with Holmgren/Weeden mentioned above, or Parcells/Testaverde/Bledsoe. Fortunately, Rex Ryan won't be looking to bring Sanchez, but I'm not sure you trust his QB evaluation skills, either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rex wouldn't come to Dallas considering how Jones and Garrett dicked over Fat Rob.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Rex wouldn't come to Dallas considering how Jones and Garrett dicked over Fat Rob.
I seriously doubt Rex would come here, either. But if he did, it would be glorious. If only because it would mean Landry Jr. would be getting the axe. And to throw salt on the wound, he would be replaced by another SOB. Spawn of Buddy.

We could release 1,000 green balloons to commemorate the occasion.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I seriously doubt Rex would come here, either. But if he did, it would be glorious. If only because it would mean Landry Jr. would be getting the axe. And to throw salt on the wound, he would be replaced by another SOB. Spawn of Buddy.

There would be gnashing of teeth. And it would be glorious.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
There would be gnashing of teeth. And it would be glorious.
In all actuality, I'm sure there would be a novella length explanation posted as to why it was time for the change, and why Rex is the right choice to get us over the hump with what Jason built. And we're all blind for not seeing it.

Also, did you know that 50 year anniversary patch just might be responsible for most of the bad things happening in the world today?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

That happening would make for some fun trolling over at the zone

In all actuality, I'm sure there would be a novella length explanation posted as to why it was time for the change, and why Rex is the right choice to get us over the hump with what Jason built. And we're all blind for not seeing it.

Also, did you know that 50 year anniversary patch just might be responsible for most of the bad things happening in the world today?
Yep I'm sure some would try to show how we will finally be able to get a better pass rating differential which will solve our woes :lol

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Romo gets hurt or otherwise underperforms, then he should be cut no later than Feb 2015 and the team needs to draft a QB of the future in the 1st or 2nd round. Weeden can start until the rook is ready... it doesn't matter at that point.

Regardless, the team needs to keep rebuilding the DL and LB corps.

Jones drafted Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh with first round picks, so there definitely is precedent. Quincy Carter set the team back years, but even he was a 2nd round pick. Of the years they didn't have Aikman, Carter or Romo on the team as potential or certain starters (2004-2005) they had Testaverde and Bledsoe to tide them over. In 2005, Bill Parcells passed over future HOFer Aaron Rodgers in favor of Marcus Spears. In 2004, Parcells thought Ben Roethlisberger was the best prospect he'd seen in years, but he probably didn't have the ammo to trade up and get him.

Though it's probably too early to tell for sure, 2015's QB class looks to be better than this years' with clear value at the top and throughout the 1st round.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Ryan has a big enough ego that Dallas would appeal to him and I bet he could talk Jerry into letting Rob come back. We'd be gloriously hated again...much like if Gruden came here. Now the reality though is Jerry's ego may not allow for another big name coach.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ryan has a big enough ego that Dallas would appeal to him and I bet he could talk Jerry into letting Rob come back. We'd be gloriously hated again...much like if Gruden came here. Now the reality though is Jerry's ego may not allow for another big name coach.
I don't think he will have much choice if Red Pecker fails.

There really isn't any ex-dipshit coach from the glory years that is active anymore.

Over the years he has interviewed guys like Rivera and Singletary. Should be interesting to see if he goes the Holmgren route or an unknown.

I am betting if he fires Garrett, he's going to go the opposite and get an experienced coach.

He usually goes the opposite direction whenever he moves on from a coach.

I just don't see Rex Ryan as the guy he gets. I don't know if he'll be available anyways.

Carp

DCC 4Life

There really isn't any ex-dipshit coach from the glory years that is active anymore.

Over the years he has interviewed guys like Rivera and Singletary. Should be interesting to see if he goes the Holmgren route or an unknown.

I am betting if he fires Garrett, he's going to go the opposite and get an experienced coach.

I just don't see Rex Ryan as the guy he gets. I don't know if he'll be available anyways.
I go back and forth...sometimes I think he is humbled, then something comes up and reminds me of his ego.

Wait until he sells us the exciting Joe Philbin.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I still wish he'd give David Shaw a shot at the job and just let him bring the whole Stanford staff with him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Correction. Jimmy Johnson used 1st rounders on QBs.

WHOOP! There's Jerry's highest drafted QB...
Further correction. Aikman was earmarked before Landry left. It was a follow through with the Jones era.

Top Bottom