Hurns critical of playcalling

Allen Hurns Criticizes 3rd-Down Pass Call in Cowboys' Loss to Texans

ARLINGTON, TX - AUGUST 26: Allen Hurns #17 of the Dallas Cowboys warms up before a game against the Arizona Cardinals at AT&T Stadium during week 3 of the preseason on August 26, 2018 in Arlington, Texas. The Cardinals defeated the Cowboys 27-3. (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)
Wesley Hitt/Getty Images
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott threw two interceptions in Sunday's 19-16 overtime loss to the Houston Texans, but wide receiver Allen Hurns blames at least one of them on the coaching staff.

The Cowboys ran deep curls against two-man coverage on the third-quarter interception, which Hurns told ESPN's Josina Anderson is "the worst play call that you would make," via Todd Archer of ESPN.

"I didn't question," Hurns said of the third-down call. "Everyone knows that's not a good play call versus two-man. So what's unfortunate for us is that was their only snap in two-man."

The two-man coverage keeps both safeties deep in a zone, while the cornerbacks are able to play close to the receiver. A curl could fool corners trying to prevent a deep pass in single coverage, but the safety help allows them to be more aggressive.

Prescott targeted Deonte Thompson on the play and ended up throwing an interception to Justin Reid.

While Hurns said his criticism of the play call wasn't a shot at the quarterback, he didn't provide glowing praise of the offensive strategy.

"I feel like it goes well sometimes. Of course from a receiver standpoint you want more opportunities but you can't control that. As far as for us, you always say control what we can but as far as some plays we all have to do a good job of just executing and sometimes it's where we're not put in the best positions. But that's part of football."

The 26-year-old wideout is in his first year with the Cowboys after four seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars, but he has just eight catches for 84 yards in five games.

Meanwhile, Dallas ranks 30th in total points per game and 28th in offensive yards per contest, which means something isn't working for the 2-3 squad.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

read full story

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It's pretty evident that the problem with the Cowboys offense is multi-faceted.

You can't just blame management and this coaching staff without acknowledging Dak's shortcomings.

Just like you can't just blame Dak for his poor playing without acknowledging this coaching staff and management's shortcomings.

The way I see it a team can still have success if one of those 3 components (management, players, & coaching) is sub par. But if two or three of those components aren't performing up to par, you get what we're currently seeing.

Something has got to give next season.

If they want to remain married to Garrett and Linehan, Dak can't be your starting QB. Find a QB who excels in timing based throws and who's better with his pre-snap reads.

If they want to hitch their wagon to Dak for another season they need to give him better weapons and a creative staff who's willing to build an offense around the skills that he does possess. It's dumb to continue trying to force this round peg into the square hole.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I just want to know what happened with that "went back to watch Mississippi State to watch film on what Dak excels at" part of the offense.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I just want to know what happened with that "went back to watch Mississippi State to watch film on what Dak excels at" part of the offense.
Exactly.

There's a trend in the NFL where teams have become a lot more open to tailoring their offense around their QB's skill set, even if that means bringing over some of the concepts from college.

Tailoring schemes to fit your current roster's talent.......radical idea, I know.

They did it in 2016 but for some reason they are hell bent on having Dak strictly be a pocket passer.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Exactly.

There's a trend in the NFL where teams have become a lot more open to tailoring their offense around their QB's skill set, even if that means bringing over some of the concepts from college.

Tailoring schemes to fit your current roster's talent.......radical idea, I know.

They did it in 2016 but for some reason they are hell bent on having Dak strictly be a pocket passer.
Dak’s Rookie season was scripted for him and it worked well. He didnt have to know the playbook or make any reads. He just executed a designated play and bingo he had success. Scripted plays simply mean that there was a reciever designated to run a certain route and that’s who he throws to. It’s almost like having a part in a play. You know your lines and deliver when it’s time.

Obviously his sophomore year he was introduced to Garret’s system and he wasn’t ready. That carried over this season and he seems to be over reacting or trying too hard. He is not comfortable in the pocket and his rabbit blood shows up. It not puzzling at least to me that he has struggled with Garrett’s system because it requires a disciplined passer who can concentrate on the pass and not be distracted with what is developing around him. This is new to him and he is just too uptight not wanting to mess up and that compounds his accuracy problems.

He will either settle down and improve or he will continue to try too hard and detoriate.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Dak’s Rookie season was scripted for him and it worked well. He didnt have to know the playbook or make any reads. He just executed a designated play and bingo he had success. Scripted plays simply mean that there was a reciever designated to run a certain route and that’s who he throws to. It’s almost like having a part in a play. You know your lines and deliver when it’s time.

Obviously his sophomore year he was introduced to Garret’s system and he wasn’t ready. That carried over this season and he seems to be over reacting or trying too hard. He is not comfortable in the pocket and his rabbit blood shows up. It not puzzling at least to me that he has struggled with Garrett’s system because it requires a disciplined passer who can concentrate on the pass and not be distracted with what is developing around him. This is new to him and he is just too uptight not wanting to mess up and that compounds his accuracy problems.

He will either settle down and improve or he will continue to try too hard and detoriate.
Garrett's system only works with a qb like Romo, one who is willing to say fuck that dumbass call here's what I'm running

p1_

DCC 4Life

well, if you read his draft profile, it states the same. He is not made for the Garrett system.

Looking back at the near perfect 2016, nothing short of ideal circumstances for Dak. And how it masked his flaws is pretty remarkable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, if you read his draft profile, it states the same. He is not made for the Garrett system.

Looking back at the near perfect 2016, nothing short of ideal circumstances for Dak. And how it masked his flaws is pretty remarkable.
That's true but there was just such a groove back then. Dak looked comfortable and accurate throwing the ball even as a rookie. We now look like a car out there with a flat tire. Everything just looks so difficult. There is no concept of how to get back on track. Even the simple stuff just looks so difficult for our offense to execute.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That's true but there was just such a groove back then. Dak looked comfortable and accurate throwing the ball even as a rookie. We now look like a car out there with a flat tire. Everything just looks so difficult. There is no concept of how to get back on track. Even the simple stuff just looks so difficult for our offense to execute.
he hardly ever felt pressured it seems obvious now. Pristine long lasting pocket, better receivers. But still mostly an intermediate passing attack.

Now that teams can put clamps on Zeke somewhat and make us have to throw, he senses non existant pressure and his footwork goes to hell. Receivers roaming free unseen....and he goes for the short safe throw, where there was a TD for the taking.

midswat

... soon
Hurns needs to stfu. Playcall wouldve been just fine had he just executed.

Top Bottom