How good is the defense?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Basically how I feel.

Good, but overrated by our fan base.
Exactly what it is.

They just got their assess handed to them by a Titans team with one of the worst offenses in football less than 2 weeks ago.

It's a unit with plenty of promise but it's nowhere near being great right now.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I think a real dominant 3 technique would go a long way for this defense. That was David Irving last year but clearly that guy can't be relied upon. If we had that I think this defense could cause a lot of havoc. Well that and them stop putting Crawford in at RE. He plays well at DT but he is a total slug out of position at RE. The number of time he bites inside and they go outside is insane. He is just to slow to take any wrong steps like that.

Just imagine our defense with an Aaron Donald and Lawrence.

The other JAGs they plug in would be fine in that scenario.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just imagine our defense with an Aaron Donald and Lawrence.

The other JAGs they plug in would be fine in that scenario.
Yeah someone in the middle who is a terror would be nice. It would cause such problems for opposing offenses. I don't think our team will have a ton of needs heading into the draft. Assuming of course that guys like Lawrence are retained, which I'm sure he will be. Sure a QB would be great but if we assume Dak will get another year you're looking at TE, DT and a ballhawking safety. That's not a huge laundry list for an offseason.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Exactly what it is.

They just got their assess handed to them by a Titans team with one of the worst offenses in football less than 2 weeks ago.

It's a unit with plenty of promise but it's nowhere near being great right now.
They followed up that one poor performance with a pretty strong showing against the world champs, they’ve got some some well earned props .

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
They followed up that one poor performance with a pretty strong showing against the world champs, they’ve got some some well earned props .
And then that same Titans offense that had looked so poor came out and beat the Patriots the following week.

I'm not waving a foam finger but the defense hung in there with the Titans and gave out after awhile. The offense did them no favors for sure.

Granted, they're not a 2000 Ravens but with a half-decent effort from the offense they should be fine.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And surprisingly the Titans followed up that game against us with a beatdown of the Pats. I honestly thought the Titans were shit so their performance against the Pats surprised me.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I wouldn't say strong. They gave up over 400 yards of offense. Granted held them to 20 points, but that's around the eagles season average.

Good enough, but I wouldn't say strong.

This is exactly what I mean by our fan base overeating the defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't say strong. They gave up over 400 yards of offense. Granted held them to 20 points, but that's around the eagles season average.

I thought the first half was strong. The second half was a shitfest. Although they at least grew a set of balls when they needed to. Or at least LVE did. I mean they scored what, 3 points in the first half? And those were off a crazy long field goal.

17 in the second half was ugly. Every time we scored a TD they would march down the field in no time and match it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Not to mention that those "world champs" are 4-5.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I would say above average but not strong, too many chinks in the armor. It certainly isn't elite at this point but it's good enough to mostly keep the spotlight off the inconsistent offense.

p1_

DCC 4Life
another stellar performance by this unit, holding Atl to 19.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think we need another serious pass rusher honestly. A ball hawking safety would be nice too.
Given that Irving probably will be gone -- though who knows, given that he must have tanked his value, maybe he comes back on another cheap 1 year deal -- we really need a pass rusher from the inside more than the outside.

Not that we couldn't stand to upgrade, but if Lawrence is going to continue to be a 10+ sack player for a few years, I am still hopeful that a Charlton/Armstrong platoon can get us what we need at the other end spot. Who knows with Gregory, though, don't look now, he has three sacks this year.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Given that Irving probably will be gone -- though who knows, given that he must have tanked his value, maybe he comes back on another cheap 1 year deal -- we really need a pass rusher from the inside more than the outside.

Not that we couldn't stand to upgrade, but if Lawrence is going to continue to be a 10+ sack player for a few years, I am still hopeful that a Charlton/Armstrong platoon can get us what we need at the other end spot. Who knows with Gregory, though, don't look now, he has three sacks this year.
I think youre right about Irving. He has screwed himself in the near term, and I bet we manage to get him for a cheap year so he can possibly play to basically salvage his career. Maybe he can get it together, but we don't count on him, and we look to upgrade the interior further.

p1_

DCC 4Life

this guy is saving Garrett's neck.

Top Bottom