Helman: Cowboys Officials Assess Their Roster Heading Into Thursday’s NFL Draft

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Jewell does not strike me as Sean Lee part 2, he’s more like Anthony Hitchens part 2. He’s ok. Probably relatively NFL ready.

But I don’t know if he’s anything special as an NFL starter.

I’d kind of rather Darius Leonard.
Leonard is a damn good player. Nice wingspan and a bit more athletic.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jewell does not strike me as Sean Lee part 2, he’s more like Anthony Hitchens part 2. He’s ok. Probably relatively NFL ready.

But I don’t know if he’s anything special as an NFL starter.

I’d kind of rather Darius Leonard.
As an Iowa fan I can tell you that comparison isn't even close to true. Just totally different players. Frankly Hitchens was our third best LBer when the Cowboys drafted him. Even Iowa fans would tell you they are surprised how well he turned out. Jewell on the other hand was the star of Iowa's defense. He is a through and through middle LBer who just eats up everything and makes tackles. He is also excellent in zone coverage. Of course Hitchens became a very good player for us but in terms of prospects Jewell is a much better prospect coming out. Here is a great breakdown of some of my favorite LBers in this draft:

Linebackers

Roquan Smith, Georgia
Overall grade: 90.6

Few linebackers possess Smith's all-around game. He ranked seventh in the class with a run-stopping grade of 87.8 while finishing second with an 88.5 coverage grade. He flies around the field making plays in all phases, and it's his coverage ability that makes him a perfect fit as a modern three-down linebacker. Smith has good range in zones, closing quickly and limiting big plays as he allowed only 5.7 yards after the catch on passes into his coverage over his career, a number that would have ranked second in the nation in 2017 alone. Smith should be the first linebacker off the board on Day 1.

Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State
Overall grade: 90.5

Vander Esch has the size and athleticism to make plays all over the field. He led the class with a run-stop percentage of 15.9 last year while grading at 85.1 in coverage.

Josey Jewell, Iowa
Overall grade: 87.9

Jewell has three-down potential at the next level after posting three straight years of grading at over 85.0 overall. He has 15 pass breakups and six interceptions in his career and was not charged with a touchdown into his coverage.

Dorian O'Daniel, Clemson
Overall grade: 87.6

O'Daniel showed great movement skills at the combine and is coming off an excellent all-around 2017 season that saw him grade at 85.7 against the run and 83.8 in coverage.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Top Bottom