Hardy suspended 10 games

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Hopefully, Doty gives the NFL and Fagdell another big middle finger.

I'm all about protecting women from domestic abuse, its something that happens way too often especially in pro sports. But you just can't make up player punishments and rules and suspensions as you go along, which is why this whole thing is such a joke.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Brennan: NFL should be lauded for handing 10-game suspension to Greg Hardy

Brennan: NFL should be lauded for handing 10-game suspension to Greg Hardy

The National Football League has been saying publicly for several months that it has learned its lesson from the Ray Rice incident and will take domestic violence cases much more seriously in the future than it did in the past.

On Wednesday afternoon, the league did just that, laudably handing out one of the toughest penalties for domestic violence in U.S. sports history, a 10-game suspension without pay for Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy.

Hardy put his former girlfriend, Nicole Holder, through an ordeal far worse that what happened to Janay Palmer Rice in that Atlantic City elevator last year. The NFL's investigation, led by Lisa Friel, the former head of the Sex Crimes Prosecution Unit in the New York City District Attorney's office, found that Hardy violated the league's personal conduct policy by using physical force against Holder in at least four instances, including "physical force against her which caused her to land on a futon that was covered with at least four semi-automatic rifles."

Three or four other guns were also present on the futon, according to a person with knowledge of the league investigation who was not authorized to speak publicly.

The NFL sought and obtained several photographs from the crime scene, including a photo of the guns and another that showed "visible marks" around Holder's neck.

"The net effect of these acts was that Ms. Holder was severely traumatized and sustained a range of injuries, including bruises and scratches on her neck, shoulders, upper chest, back, arms and feet," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday in a strongly-worded letter to Hardy. "The use of physical force under the circumstances present here, against a woman substantially smaller than you and in the presence of powerful, military-style assault weapons, constitutes a significant act of violence in violation of the Personal Conduct Policy."

Goodell was among the NFL executives who saw the photos. Representatives of the NFL Players Association also saw them, according to the person with knowledge of the league investigation.

Hardy, then with the Carolina Panthers, was found guilty of domestic violence last summer and not allowed to play for most of the 2014 season, but was still paid his $13.1 million salary. The charges were dismissed on appeal when Holder received a financial settlement, according to multiple reports, and could not be found to testify.

Holder's testimony against Hardy in the trial last July is horrifying, detailed and worth repeating:

Holder said Hardy, who is 6-4 and 265 pounds, flung her from a bed, threw her into a bathtub and then tossed her onto a futon covered with rifles. Holder said Hardy ripped a necklace he had given her off her neck, threw it into a toilet and then slammed the lid on her arm when she tried to retrieve it.

Hardy dragged Holder by the hair room to room, she said, before putting his hands around her throat.

"He looked me in my eyes and he told me he was going to kill me," Holder said. "I was so scared I wanted to die. When he loosened his grip slightly, I said, 'Just do it. Kill me.' "

Later, as Holder said she was held by her former boyfriend's personal assistant, she said Hardy called 911, showed her the phone, and said, "Run, little girl. You're going to jail."

Mecklenburg (N.C.) District Judge Becky Thorne Tin believed Holder when she found Hardy guilty, handing him a 60-day suspended sentence and 18 months' probation on misdemeanor charges of assault on a female and communicating threats. Under North Carolina law, someone found guilty of a misdemeanor in a bench trial is allowed to appeal to a jury trial. When Holder could not be found, prosecutors threw out the charges before that trial.

But justice was served Wednesday, at least on the football field. While some might wonder why Hardy will ever be allowed to play in the NFL again, the strong action taken by the league should serve as a precedent for all sports organizations dealing with domestic violence.

The players' union, in its predictable, knee-jerk way, will immediately appeal. But for the rest of us, disgusted by the abusive behavior of men like Hardy, this is the first day of the rest of our lives in our post-Ray Rice sports world.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
BipolarFan said:
But for the rest of us, disgusted by the abusive behavior of men like Hardy, this is the first day of the rest of our lives in our post-Ray Rice sports world.
Dramatic much?

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I don't have a problem with the suspension. He obviously at the very least manhandled her and put his hands around her neck. No excuse for that.

I also won't have a problem if the courts nullify it or reduce it, because I'm also an asshole that wants him to play for my team.

Cotton

Staff member

Nice.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This time I am on the side of the player association.

shane

DCC 4Life
I don't have a problem with the suspension. He obviously at the very least manhandled her and put his hands around her neck. No excuse for that.

I also won't have a problem if the courts nullify it or reduce it, because I'm also an asshole that wants him to play for my team.
This is pretty much how I feel, although I think 10 games was excessive considering the charges were dropped. The douchebag who wrote that article is such a limp-wristed, disingenuous, PC pussy that it makes me want to puke.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Well there you have it. GSM.

Of course the truth is the league is more than happy to have their verdict overturned and make the nflpa look like the bad guys. The NFLPA doesn't really give a shit. The NFL looks good, the Cowboys will get their player after 4 games, Hardy gets a nice paycheck, lots of lawyers make lots of money, writers get to pile on and looks like saints. Everyone wins. Except for perhaps the truth. But who gas...really...

townsend

Banned
Roger Goodell might as well start sentencing players to death for domestic violence charges. Since the results, inconsistencies, looking impotent, and petty don't matter only the appearance of "being tough" on DV no reason not to start handing down executions like the Queen of Hearts.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol Is Schefter referring to himself as dumb?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Or smart? Is he making a prediction as well as passing along opinions?

D

Deuce

I'm curious if Goodell suspended him more than expected because he knew an appeal would reduce it to a number he was fine with. Seems like a shady thing that douche would do.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious if Goodell suspended him more than expected because he knew an appeal would reduce it to a number he was fine with. Seems like a shady thing that douche would do.
I don't think that's how an appeal works though. I don't think they look at it and go, well he gave 10 so we will just reduce it by 4 games. The way they look at it is through the rules at the time of the incident and if the punishment is consistent with those rules and other similar punishments. This isn't a negotiation where Goodell can shoot high hoping to settle somewhere in the middle.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't think that's how an appeal works though. I don't think they look at it and go, well he gave 10 so we will just reduce it by 4 games. The way they look at it is through the rules at the time of the incident and if the punishment is consistent with those rules and other similar punishments. This isn't a negotiation where Goodell can shoot high hoping to settle somewhere in the middle.
The courts can take it back to that number, though. And, Goodell may figure they will.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The courts can take it back to that number, though. And, Goodell may figure they will.
What I'm saying is that Goodell handing down a super harsh punishment won't somehow make his decision being overturned any worse on Hardy.

Cotton

Staff member
What I'm saying is that Goodell handing down a super harsh punishment won't somehow make his decision being overturned any worse on Hardy.
I don't think Deuce was implying that. I could be wrong.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Have to say that is the first thing that crossed my mind.

Top Bottom