Hamilton could be a rising star

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hamilton could be a rising star; Strom Thurmond alum heading to training camp with Dallas Cowboys
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2013 11:31 p.m. UPDATED: Monday, July 8, 2013 11:32 p.m.

Since his days as a star player for the Strom Thurmond High School football team, Jakar Hamilton had been on quite a journey. He’s dealt with personal issues, academic challenges, injuries and battled to play at not one – but three different institutions since leaving the Johnston high school.

Now Hamilton’s hoping that overcoming all of these obstacles has the free safety and special teams ace poised to rise to his latest challenge – making the Dallas Cowboys’ roster.

“There’s been tough adversity. I wouldn’t wish that on anybody,” Hamilton said Monday, as he took a brief time out from his preparations for training camp, which will start in less than two weeks. “But all of that taught me to be a better man.”

The South Carolina State grad wasn’t picked in this year’s NFL Draft, but it didn’t take long for his phone to ring. Hamilton – who spent a year at Georgia Military College, two at Georgia and finally another at South Carolina State – was one of the Cowboys’ first calls once the draft ended. He quickly agreed to terms as a priority free agent.

“It was what he was always aspiring to do,” said Lee Sawyer, the Strom Thurmond head coach who guided Hamilton in high school. “It’s the thing he talked about and you could tell in high school he had natural talent.”

The Cowboys were interested in the 5-foot-11, 186-pound Hamilton because of his athleticism and football acumen, but also because of his character. One of the Cowboys’ scouting reports on Hamilton praised his tackling ability and cover skills – both vital to a free safety in the NFL. Hamilton was credited for reading plays well, covering receivers out of the slot and willingness to play a physical brand of football .

But the first thing it mentioned was his character. It specifically cited his ability to endure a “huge uphill climb even to become eligible this past season.”

Once he was, Hamilton recorded 26 tackles and returned a kickoff 96 yards for a touchdown. All of that came after he recovered from a stress fracture in his right ankle and transferred from Georgia.

Even though they didn’t draft him, the Cowboys wanted Hamilton. But so did some other NFL teams. Prior to the draft, Hamilton visited the Green Bay Packers, New York Jets, Washington Redskins, San Diego Chargers and Houston Texans. But Dallas had an edge, because it held a private workout and interview for Hamilton at Strom Thurmond. It was there that he formed a bond with Cowboys assistant secondary coach Joe Baker, which played a major factor in his decision.

Hamilton said after visiting Dallas, he had a strong connection with Baker and fellow secondary coach Jerome Henderson. “I fell in love with them as soon as I met them,” Hamilton said in an interview with a Cowboys blog, where he said a meeting with another member of the team’s hierarchy won him over.

“Then I met (team owner) Mr. Jerry Jones and I fell in love with him. All the coaches, they give it to you 100 percent. They have high expectations for us as players, as persons – and just to go hard.” That’s what Hamilton did at rookie training camp. “It’s been a great experience,” Hamilton said Monday. “I’ve done really well and am working hard to do more than the next guy.”

His efforts haven’t been ignored. Hamilton received rave reviews from a number of online publications dedicated to following the Cowboys, with one calling him the most noticeable undrafted rookie on the squad.

That’s a big deal for a player trying not only to make a team, but make an impact for it. “I’m going to go in, and try to make a statement, be smart, be a leader and do my job,” said Hamilton, who added he’s received positive feedback from the most important critics – his coaches.

“They say I’m doing a great job but don’t get comfortable. Always stay hungry and keep working hard.”

That’s what Hamilton has been doing since rookie camp wrapped up. He’s doing everything he can to stay in peak physical form, so both his body and mind are ready for training camp.

Hamilton said he’s working out and doing lots of running. According to Sawyer, that’s something that has always come natural to Hamilton. “The thing that set him apart is his speed. He can run,” Sawyer said.

“He’s got great jumping ability and can move his hips, but he could always run. We run 40s for conditioning at the end of practices, and he would leave a big hole between him and the rest of the field. “He’s got raw explosiveness. When he would take off, he’d leave a large divot from where he pushed off from. I’ve never seen that.”

Hamilton’s also trying to learn the Cowboys’ system in preparation for training camp, which will be held in Oxnard, Calif. He said a lot has been thrown at him, but everyone in the NFL is expected to absorb knowledge and adapt to varying situations – even rookies.

While Hamilton is off to a great start following his strong showing in rookie camp, he’s going to have to raise his performance to another level. Starting on July 21, he won’t just be competing against other NFL neophytes.

Hamilton will be taking the field with Pro Bowl players like quarterback Tony Romo, receiver Dez Bryant, tight end Jason Witten and linebacker DeMarcus Ware. Sawyer knows there are challenges and is pulling for Hamilton to do what’s needed to make the Cowboys.

“I hope he does what you’ve got to do to stick,” Sawyer said. “You’ve got to absorb everything thrown at you. You’ve got to eat and sleep football and don’t get caught up in the hype. Every cut is so important, you’ve got to make yourself different and throw yourself on every special team.”

That’s where Hamilton has an edge. He’s been a key special teams player at every stop in his journey and it could be the main reason he makes the final cut for Dallas’ 53-man roster.

Hamilton said he’s already worked as return man on both kickoffs and punts. He’s also worked on the coverage units looking to stop opponent’s return games. His speed, nose for the ball and fearlessness make him an excellent candidate to be a special teams regular, if not a standout performer.

“I can contribute on special teams,” Hamilton said. “I’m just trying to get in and stay in and get the feel of being in the NFL and work my way where I want to be.”

Ultimately, that place is patrolling the Cowboys’ secondary. Safety has been a position in transition for Dallas in recent season. That means if Hamilton performs at a high level in training camp and preseason exhibitions, he could have the chance to play in regular-season games. But before the cart gets too far ahead of the horse that’s leading these Cowboys into action, Hamilton needs to be a part of the posse.

While he’s optimistic, nothing is guaranteed. “I have a good chance (of making the team). I’m going into training camp with my head held high,” Hamilton said. “It would be real special. It would be a great honor, especially coming from Johnston, it’s never been done.” Being the first Strom Thurmond alum to make the NFL wouldn’t only be a big deal for Hamilton. It would mean a lot to a football-crazed community and the next generation of Rebel players.

“(Making the NFL) is such a long shot,” Sawyer said. “Guys take pride that he came from where they did.”
--------------

Thank goodness camp starts soon so we don't get many more JAG could be great articles.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, I'll hold my breath.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He was a 4 star recruit out of HS and ended up at Georgia for a few years. The physical talent is, or at least was there in some fashion but guys with talent fall through the cracks all the time for whatever reason, be it personal, grades, character or whatever.

I don't really expect much of anything out of him but there is some kind of ability there to be mined and I wouldn't be surprised if he turned into a competent backup/special teamer/package player.

Cotton

Staff member
Cool, so let's cut that special team "ace" McCray and sign this special team "ace".

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We should've never signed McCray to that offer sheet or tender or whatever it is in the first place, our starting safety situation is unsettled but we have all sorts of young prospects with more upside than him, no way he should make the team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We should've never signed McCray to that offer sheet or tender or whatever it is in the first place, our starting safety situation is unsettled but we have all sorts of young prospects with more upside than him, no way he should make the team.
Feh, you will get more McCray and like it. He's riding out the Jerry Jones Scholarship, much like how similar schlubs like Procter and Hurd before him (Costa is another guy who will make it simply because of the money).

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Feh, you will get more McCray and like it. He's riding out the Jerry Jones Scholarship, much like how similar schlubs like Procter and Hurd before him (Costa is another guy who will make it simply because of the money).
:lol

:picard

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Hamilton/Wilcox

The GA local area connection...BOOM!!!!

Carp

DCC 4Life
Church was decent, but I wonder just how long it will take him to get back to 100%...and if he can get back to being decent. Basically our whole S future is pinned on Wilcox and Johnson, while I have hope for both, this is the biggest question mark the team has this year.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Strom Thurmond High School? And it has black kids enrolled there?

Man people in the south are fucking retarded.

Cotton

Staff member

You're fucking retarded.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

It's not like kids have a choice what the hell their public school is named.

Cotton

Staff member
It's not like kids have a choice what the hell their public school is named.
People in general are all stupid. We have an elementary school here called Whiteside Elementary. People a coupld of years ago went all the way to city council to pressure them to get the school name changed because they saw it as racist. Well, the school was named after James H. Whiteside who dedicated most of his grown life the the Lubbock independent school district.

And, I'm quite sure this kind of ignorance is nationwide not just in the south.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
The retardism is in a public school actually being named after a racist POS.

Who is their biggest rival? James Earl Ray High School?

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Must be like the people in your state which has a Robert Byrd High School. Do black people go THERE?

Cotton

Staff member
The retardism is in a public school actually being named after a racist POS.

Who is their biggest rival? James Earl Ray High School?
They have a dedicated black history program. Besides, I believe they named the school before the 1964 Civil Rights vote, which is what I'm assuming you are referring to.

Top Bottom