Gosselin: Dallas Cowboys A Soft NFC East Champion

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
McCarthy should've set his players straight on blaming refs to the media. Yes, sometimes bad calls are made. But don't be a titbag about it. Take responsibility for your play and move on.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Because we were in denial.

Too busy every week lauding Parsons and to a lesser extent Diggs, kind of nose blind to the stench of the offense.

A lot of us weren't blind, but the problems were on our end not the opponent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The defensive holding calls are ones that are rarely made and yet we got called for it.

Funny how that's been a familiar refrain over the years, like the Butler call in the playoffs in 16 and the Zeke lowering the helmet a few years back and running through the hold and so many others.

After a while it's more than just a coincidence.

And then on the other side, so many blatant no calls. Several holdings allowed on Parsons as well as a clear block in the back and a very obvious crack block on Diggs. All allowed. And that's just yesterday and just off the top of my head.

Add in the fact that McCarthy teams were bottom of the league in penalties for a decade and suddenly at the top of the league as soon as he gets to Dallas.

You can hand wave it away if you'd like but it's at least fishy.
I don't know why the refs so what they do. But it was pretty fucking obvious seeing them mug Parsons with no calls all day. Like I have said, just be consistent. You can't win big games when calls are lopsided

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
I mean, do we really think there is some kinda of conspiracy to keep the Cowboys down? Everyone who makes a fuckton of money off this league would LOVE for the Cowboys to be relevant and competing for championships cuz it makes the league much more popular when its most loved and hated team is for real instead of a bunch of pussies whining about refs.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I mean, do we really think there is some kinda of conspiracy to keep the Cowboys down? Everyone who makes a fuckton of money off this league would LOVE for the Cowboys to be relevant and competing for championships cuz it makes the league much more popular when its most loved and hated team is for real instead of a bunch of pussies whining about refs.

I'm stopping short of saying it's a conspiracy but I wouldn't be shocked if it was. Stranger and worse things have happened in sports.

If I were to guess though, I'd say it's more likely something more subconscious. For example, the accusation that the Cowboys get all the calls has been said by fans of other teams for years. If the refs have it ingrained in the back of their minds that people think that, there might be a subconscious effort to make sure they call everything they can against Dallas because they don't want to be accused of bias.

I do think something is going on but I'm not necessarily saying it's a conspiracy. I do think officiating sucks in general but it is awfully funny it seems to work against us disproportionately.

When coaches change, players change, the years change, but the same things keep happening it raises an eyebrow at least.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Because we were in denial.

Too busy every week lauding Parsons and to a lesser extent Diggs, kind of nose blind to the stench of the offense.
I dont know, there's been concern over the offense for a while, maybe since Denver.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
True of 75 percent of coaches historically.
I trust fat coaches more. But McCarthy is a different kind of fat coach.

Madden, fat coach. Reid, fat coach. Even Parcells was kind of fat. Jimmy? Ehhhh...he could have worked on it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not all were obvious, especially when you sit on the couch and watch them mug your 2 best pass rushers with the same “holds” they only called on the Cowboys.
A lot of calls are based on street cred and how ever the fuck else that referees use to punish or reward players.

When guys like Williams can sit there and twitch his foot several times to draw off Gregory and never gets flagged, it is all based on some sort of wink-wink-grin-grin system, unfortunately. Back in the day, we were the ones who set the rules, Emmitt Rule, Irvin Rule, Roy Williams Rule and many others.

It is remarkably like how the cycle now seems a lot like how it got near the end there for Al Davis. Jones isn't openly feuding with New York like Davis but we sure do get the screws more often than not for comfort.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I dont know, there's been concern over the offense for a while, maybe since Denver.
Not really unless you were undistracted by the eye candy stats that Prescott put up against Philly's Junior Varsity.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Not really unless you were undistracted by the eye candy stats that Prescott put up against Philly's Junior Varsity.
I know I wasnt buying that Philly horseshit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The defensive holding calls are ones that are rarely made and yet we got called for it.

Funny how that's been a familiar refrain over the years, like the Butler call in the playoffs in 16 and the Zeke lowering the helmet a few years back and running through the hold and so many others.

After a while it's more than just a coincidence.

And then on the other side, so many blatant no calls. Several holdings allowed on Parsons as well as a clear block in the back and a very obvious crack block on Diggs. All allowed. And that's just yesterday and just off the top of my head.

Add in the fact that McCarthy teams were bottom of the league in penalties for a decade and suddenly at the top of the league as soon as he gets to Dallas.

You can hand wave it away if you'd like but it's at least fishy.
We had more offensive holding penalties this year than any team in the last 12 years except one (2019 Jaguars). Kind of hard to believe after we had 9 last year with a bunch of random chucklefucks starting every week.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Come on guys, we beat Washington, wasnt that our Super Bowl right there? stick to low standards, they work better for us.

Top Bottom