Gosselin chat response on Fluker

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I hope we don't find ourselves in the position of taking a guy like Fluker at 18 just because we need offensive linemen. I'd rather just sign Winston or Clabo than do that.

You could make a very strong argument that we'd be better off with Tavon Austin and Clabo/Winston than just Fluker.

You can find guys like Fluker. Austin, not so much.

Genghis Khan

I just see a guy who could be a Desean Jackson type or Percy Harvin. We've needed a player like that for so long.

Yep. Him and Bryant together could be very, very difficult for defenses to handle. Almost perfect complements.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I hope we don't find ourselves in the position of taking a guy like Fluker at 18 just because we need offensive linemen. I'd rather just sign Winston or Clabo than do that.

You could make a very strong argument that we'd be better off with Tavon Austin and Clabo/Winston than just Fluker.

I wouldn't worry too much about Austin making it to our pick.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I would not rule out Austin to Arizona...Arians had such great success with Hilton.

SfielDallas

Brand New Member
As much as I want to go OL I would have a hard time passing on Austin. He changes the whole offensive dynamic for opposing defenses.
I just don't buy it. They said the same thing about Bush, Ginn, and others. Harvin is a rare player. Cobb took a year and plays with Rodgers. Austin is hyped because of those two.

Carp

DCC 4Life
A RB and a WR who was considered a reach at the time are not great comparisons.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't agree with that. When Jackson is motivated (ie: not pouting about his contract), he's been very good.
Agreed. He is certainly worth the pick...I'd rather have Warmack or Cooper, but he will be dynamic.

SfielDallas

Brand New Member
I don't agree with that. When Jackson is motivated (ie: not pouting about his contract), he's been very good.
His high is 62 receptions in a season. He's a head case. He's ok but not special (although he probably is a monster with Kelly this year).

SfielDallas

Brand New Member
A RB and a WR who was considered a reach at the time are not great comparisons.
Both were players that were strong in the return game and not the traditional types at their respective positions. Austin's good but has high bust potential. I would rather someone else draft him. I just think the Cobb and Harvin hype, and copy cat league are boosting him up. Give me a trade down and a player like Hunter or Hopkins.

D

Deuce

His high is 62 receptions in a season. He's a head case. He's ok but not special (although he probably is a monster with Kelly this year).
When you average 17ypc for your career, you don't need to be a 100 catch/yr WR. And that's not even adding is special teams value.

Carp

DCC 4Life
When you average 17ypc for your career, you don't need to be a 100 catch/yr WR. And that's not even adding is special teams value.
While Harvin averages under 12 and has never had 1000 yards. He's a great player, but Jackson was more of a big play/HR hitter type. He made one of the biggest PRs ever too against the Giants. Harvin does have 5 KR for TDs, but Jackson has 4 PR TDs. If Harvin is a gamechanger, then so is Jackson. He is just a knucklehead.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

You can make that argument for next season. When Clabo or Winston are gone in 2 years, if Fluker has become a stud RT and Austin is a poor man's Percy Harvin, you wouldn't be able to make that argument.

I'm not saying that's how each player will turn out. Just that you take the the guy who you think will be the best.

Genghis Khan

You can make that argument for next season. When Clabo or Winston are gone in 2 years, if Fluker has become a stud RT and Austin is a poor man's Percy Harvin, you wouldn't be able to make that argument.

I'm not saying that's how each player will turn out. Just that you take the the guy who you think will be the best.

My argument there was that Fluker just is not a stud. Fluker types are easier to find than guys like Austin.

Obviously Clabo/Winston would be stop-gaps (I'd argue for longer than 2 years, but still), but the point is that I'd rather take the long term better player (IMO Austin) than take the bigger immediate need (Fluker).

So yeah, we're saying the same thing. I'm saying exactly what you are saying - take the guy you think will be best. And I'm saying it because I am afraid that we won't, that we will take a guy like Fluker because it's our biggest need. I'm guessing that Fluker won't be the best player on the board when we pick. So I'm saying rather than force for need, I'd rather draft the best player and sign a stop gap if it comes down to it. We'd be better off immediately and long term.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Depending on how things shake out, I think Austin may be BPA at 18. I definitely like him more than Fluker.

Austin is probably not a Jones/Green type, but he's not a top ten pick either. I wouldn't take Austin in the top ten, but I think at 18 he is a lot more ideal.
This feels right. Sign Clabo to fix RT. Grab the best talent to make the team better.

Carp

DCC 4Life
My argument there was that Fluker just is not a stud. Fluker types are easier to find than guys like Austin.
I think people undervalue a good RT. We sure can't seem to find a RT and beyond Fluker I am not too crazy about the RT prospects in this draft. If I thought our front office was smart enough to find another Erik Williamms I would be all for taking a RT late, but I don't...so a safe pick like Fluker appeals to me.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think people undervalue a good RT. We sure can't seem to find a RT and beyond Fluker I am not too crazy about the RT prospects in this draft. If I thought our front office was smart enough to find another Erik Williamms I would be all for taking a RT late, but I don't...so a safe pick like Fluker appeals to me.
Isn't this the definition of drafting for need?

There are two immediate solutions are out there in Clabo and Winston to address need.

I mean, suppose by some miracle they are able to draft Chance Warmack, RT would still be a problem. We know Warmack is more talented than Fluker. The question is is Austin also more talented? If so, that is he's higher on Dallas' board, then they have to take him.

I could see picking Fluker if the two were about even in talent just simply because the Cowboys have neglected the position for some time as a result of Free turning into a bust.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
To a point it is draft for need, but it is not like taking him at 18 is a reach at all.

Top Bottom