Goodbread: Lynch intrigued by idea of playing for Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Lynch intrigued by idea of playing for Cowboys

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: March 30, 2016 at 02:30 p.m.

The Dallas Cowboys tried to challenge Paxton Lynch last week with some high-difficulty throws in a private workout in Orlando, and toughened his task even more by asking him to make some of those throws on the run.

But in his first private workout since the NFL Scouting Combine, the former Memphis quarterback couldn't have been more comfortable with the outcome, because the Cowboys were merely asking him to do what he does best.

"They had me do some three-step drop stuff, but it was mostly deeper drops and deeper throws. They had me throwing some long out routes, and some deeper comeback routes across the field," Lynch said. "They had me push the ball vertically on some seam routes and deep corner routes. Then they put me on the run for some of it, to see my athleticism and see me outside the pocket. I definitely enjoy pushing the ball down the field, and that's what they were most impressed about, how strong my arm was."

The Cowboys need a young quarterback in an apprentice role behind veteran starter Tony Romo. And although Lynch is widely projected to be drafted between the Cowboys' first two draft picks (No. 4 and No. 34 overall), but he'd love for the club to find a way to make him a Cowboy.

"I like the coaching staff -- that team is the face of the NFL almost -- they're so renowned with the success of that franchise," Lynch said.
Following the workout, Lynch had little time to reflect.

A day later, he taped an episode of Jon Gruden's "QB Camp", and a day after that he was off to Kansas City to meet with Chiefs head coach Andy Reid and his offensive staff. He then went to Cleveland to meet with new Browns coach Hue Jackson, quarterbacks coach Pep Hamilton and the rest of the Browns staff.

"They're very excited about the draft," Lynch said. "You could tell there's a lot of energy in that building."

Finally, Lynch made it back to Memphis on Tuesday to begin on-campus preparations for his pro day on April 6. That meant throwing to his former college receivers rather than the random collection of pass catchers he went through in Orlando.

"It's going to be nice to get back with my guys here for a week," Lynch said. "I know where they like the ball, and they know where I'm going to put it."

----

:lol

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
"They're very excited about the draft," Lynch said. "You could tell there's a lot of energy in that building."
Well yea, they're a bunch of retards. Just wait until they're high-fiving each other after every single draft pick like The Waterboy scene where he's running around yelling slaphands

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
My gut says Lynch gonna be really good...sneaky good... As in better than all the others... But we'll see?
He's raw but he has the tools for sure. Assuming he has the necessary work ethic and desire to be great, if he goes to a team that allows him the time to learn and properly utilizes what he does well then he could certainly end up being a very good QB.

So much of how a QB ends up depends on the circumstances they find themselves in.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
With the o line we have in place (assuming we re-sign them all), Dez Bryant, a legit rb perhaps by next year, and a couple of years to sit behind Romo and learn the nuances of this offense, I'd say the chances of that qb (whoever) succeeding are greatly increased. I will be unhappy if we take any other position with our first pick. I am not interested in the Prescott or Cooks. If we seek someone able to lead this franchise capably, then we should spend a premium pick to do so and not look back.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
He's raw but he has the tools for sure. Assuming he has the necessary work ethic and desire to be great, if he goes to a team that allows him the time to learn and properly utilizes what he does well then he could certainly end up being a very good QB.

So much of how a QB ends up depends on the circumstances they find themselves in.
What you are saying is dead on, and I for one will be disappointed if we don't take the QB at 4 or trade back and take Lynch. To me, the only other position/player to consider at 4 is the OT Tunsil. Just my opinion based on the franchise player type value of a top 5 pick.

You described the exact position Dallas is in, a position that enables them to develop a franchise QB that will likely be slinging it in 2028.

That's what top 5 picks are for, players like that.

If they feel the risk is too great? Move back a few spots and feel better about taking Lynch a few picks later.

This is an owner that had to be held back from running to the podium for Johnny Manziel.

That tells me they were ready and serious about QB 2 years ago and with the post Aikman QB debacle before Romo? It's squarely on everyone's mind.

Based on that, my gut tells me that if Goff/Wentz are there at #4, they take one of them.

If not? They move back a few spots and take Lynch. Call it a very strong hunch

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Getting him in the teens would make me very pleased.
I agree. I would be very happy with him in the teens. Unfortunately though I feel we're going to end up with Ramsey, and Prescott later in the draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. I would be very happy with him in the teens. Unfortunately though I feel we're going to end up with Ramsey, and Prescott later in the draft.
What indications are there that Dallas has real interest in Ramsey? Hell right now it looks like we have more interest in Hargreaves according to our predraft visits.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Well yea, they're a bunch of retards. Just wait until they're high-fiving each other after every single draft pick like The Waterboy scene where he's running around yelling slaphands
:lol

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Getting him in the teens would make me very pleased.
What do you think the odds are that they take someone at #4 then try and trade back into to the later 1st round to take him? I've heard some talk of that but I don't see how it is a viable option unless it gets into the mid-20s and he is still on the board.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
What do you think the odds are that they take someone at #4 then try and trade back into to the later 1st round to take him? I've heard some talk of that but I don't see how it is a viable option unless it gets into the mid-20s and he is still on the board.
I hate for them to mess around with getting the future QB out of this draft.

If there's any trading for Lynch, hopefully they're trading down from 4 and getting something out of the deal rather than taking someone else at 4 and trading up in a panic to reach for Lynch.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

If there's any trading for Lynch, hopefully they're trading down from 4 and getting something out of the deal rather than taking someone else at 4 and trading up in a panic to reach for Lynch.
I agree. If that's the idea, I wouldn't go back any further than the Rams at 15, for which you could probably demand both their seconds, pick 43 and 45.

That would give you

1 (15) (Paxton Lynch)
2 (34)
2 (43)
2 (45)
3 (67)
4 (101)
4 (135)
6 (189)
6 (212)
6 (216)
6 (217)

As much as I myself would sit tight at 4 and take Wentz/Goff, I can see the appeal of that.

And even there... Better be reading the tea leaves right, cause at 15 you still might miss on Lynch.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

I'm with you all the way. I am just looking at other scenarios. There is no guarantee they get an offer good enough to make them move off of that #4 pick. They are essentially forced into taking a top QB now though and I don't like the idea of them having little choice but to move back in the draft. Much easier for other teams to low ball on what they will give up in order to swap spots. I don't care how many times Jerry says Romo is going to play 4-5 more years or that he is comfortable with Kellen Moore as the primary backup, I don't believe it and I seriously doubt the 31 other GMs do either.

On the other hand, they would take it in the ass much worse trying to trade back into the first from #34. Moving back from #4 and potentially not getting the best return, while not ideal, would hurt much less.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I agree. If that's the idea, I wouldn't go back any further than the Rams at 15, for which you could probably demand both their seconds, pick 43 and 45.

That would give you

1 (15) (Paxton Lynch)
2 (34)
2 (43)
2 (45)
3 (67)
4 (101)
4 (135)
6 (189)
6 (212)
6 (216)
6 (217)

As much as I myself would sit tight at 4 and take Wentz/Goff, I can see the appeal of that.
What if they would only offer the #43 and then a 4th or something though? Still do it?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What if they would only offer the #43 and then a 4th or something though? Still do it?
With no guarantee Lynch is there at 15, no. I need the two seconds. I might even ask for a sweetener from that.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
With no guarantee Lynch is there at 15, no. I need the two seconds. I might even ask for a sweetener from that.
You can ask but that doesn't mean you are going to get it. So if you don't get a deal you like from any team then what? I think they would almost have to take Wentz or Goff (assuming at least one of them is there, which is almost a lock isn't it?) at #4 in that situation. I can't stomach the idea of them wasting a 3rd round pick/development time on Dak Prescott.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hell no, I'd rather take Lynch at 4. You're playing with fire as it is going all the way back to 15. You could easily miss out on not only Lynch at 15 but a D-lineman like Rankins as well. I sure as hell am not moving down that far unless it is well worth it and gives us the ammunition to move back up for Lynch if necessary.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You can ask but that doesn't mean you are going to get it. So if you don't get a deal you like from any team then what? I think they would almost have to take Wentz or Goff (assuming at least one of them is there, which is almost a lock isn't it?) at #4 in that situation. I can't stomach the idea of them wasting a 3rd round pick/development time on Dak Prescott.
If you don't get the deal you just stay at four then.

That would be my preference anyway. I'm just saying hypothetically I can see how two extra seconds might be worth it in some peoples minds to downgrade from Wentz/Goff to Lynch, if you thought he'd still be there.

I wouldn't though. I just stay and take Wentz or Goff.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm just saying hypothetically I can see how two extra seconds might be worth it in some peoples minds to downgrade from Wentz/Goff to Lynch, if you thought he'd still be there.

I wouldn't though. I just stay and take Wentz or Goff.
I think there is a possibility that Dallas has Lynch right up there with Goff and Wentz. I mean my favorite of the 3 is Goff but I'm also not so confident that I couldn't see one of the other 2 guys becoming better NFL QBs. I mean when you have 3 QBs all rated as first round prospects I think there is some room for flexibility that a team could like Lynch more then Goff for example. If that is the case move down a little and take Lynch. If you can't get the trade down then just take the QB you want.

Top Bottom