George: Weeden Showing Signs Of Improvement In Offseason

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys backup QB Brandon Weeden showing signs of improvement in offseason

Brandon George / Reporter Follow @DMN_George Email bgeorge@dallasnews.com

Published: May 11, 2015 2:35 pm

The Dallas Cowboys took a long, hard look at the quarterbacks available in this year’s draft class, but for the sixth consecutive year they decided to pass.

The four quarterbacks the Cowboys spent a lot of time evaluating before the draft went off the board higher than what Dallas felt comfortable using one of its picks for over the seven rounds. Colorado State’s Garrett Grayson (New Orleans) and Oregon State’s Sean Mannion (St. Louis) were selected in the third round, Baylor’s Bryce Petty went in the fourth round (New York Jets) and UCLA’s Brett Hundley was taken in the fifth round (Green Bay).

The Cowboys plan to back up starter Tony Romo the same way they did in 2014, with veteran Brandon Weeden at No. 2 and Dustin Vaughan as the third quarterback.

“We worked out some guys this offseason and they went a little bit higher than we were willing to spend a pick for, and after those, there weren’t many guys we really felt great about drafting,” Cowboys quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson said. “Those middle four we talked about, but they went higher than we wanted to spend a pick for.”

Wilson said he’s seen improvement from Weeden in his second full offseason with the Cowboys. Weeden is entering the final year of his two-year minimum deal.

Wilson said he still has confidence in Weeden as the Cowboys’ backup quarterback.

“It’s good for him to get back out in the offseason and he’s shown improvement, too, because it’s his second time through,” Wilson said.

Wilson said Weeden has improved in several areas this offseason.

“The mental grasping of concepts and protections and what’s required and the level that we expect out there,” Wilson said, “he’s meeting that challenge.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm glad we looked hard at the QB class. We should do that every year. With that being said, I have no problem passing on what was a really weak and thin class.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm glad we looked hard at the QB class. We should do that every year. With that being said, I have no problem passing on what was a really weak and thin class.
I agreed that this was a weak class that they rightly passed on.

My issue is that they said they passed only because the ones they were interested in were drafted higher than they wanted. Except QBs almost always go higher than they should. They'll never draft one if that's the issue.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yeah this draft class was horrid for QBs. I read that only 7 were drafted.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My issue is that they said they passed only because the ones they were interested in were drafted higher than they wanted. Except QBs almost always go higher than they should. They'll never draft one if that's the issue.
Well you have to assign a draft grade to the QB and stick to your board. Obviously a QB should rank higher based on position importance just like a FB should rank lower because of position importance but you still have to rank the QBs somewhere and stick to your board.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would bring in Matt Flynn in a heartbeat to replace this guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would bring in Matt Flynn in a heartbeat to replace this guy.
Dear god no. Flynn is pure garbage. He was horrible in college and he has been horrible in the NFL. How that guy still has an NFL job is beyond me.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dear god no. Flynn is pure garbage. He was horrible in college and he has been horrible in the NFL. How that guy still has an NFL job is beyond me.
Drew f'ng Bledsoe, at his current age, would be better than Weeden.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Wilson will put his stamp on his protege. She'yeah.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think people think of him as better than he is because he torched our awful 2013 defense.

Top Bottom